Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,
I have heard a mix of things from different dealers and what not. I know that the Pre-2008s are supposed to be better in the dirt, but not so as good on highway. I was looking at a 2009 model and the dealer told me I wouldn't be able to take it in much dirt or anything other than gravel roads. I was just looking for some opinions on this. Can it be riding in most off-road situations? I am not looking to use it like a dirt bike (jumps, rugged trails). I am mainly going to use it for highway travel with occasional rides down to trails to play on a little. What generation is best for this?

Thanks

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Bullshit. And I can't believe the dealer told you that. Crazy. They would of told me it could fly if I'd asked when I bought mine. :)

Yes, the older bikes are better on dirt and less breaks if you biff. BUT, I did my first real offroad riding (singletrack, water crossings, rocks, snakes, etc) with the boys a while back and I was amazed how well the bike did. I have been riding a long time, but the KLR is my first dirtable bike. Gravel and packed dirt is about my speed generally.

Is the Gen2 more of an on road bike...unquestionably. Can you take it off road, hell yes. I know, I did it. And I was scared out of my mind, but the bike wasn't.

If you are thinking more slab than dirt, well, you're describing why I got an 08 instead of a discounted 07.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ride with a mate who has an 08 and I ride an 01. I can't keep up with him ..... and I really really hate that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a new 2009 for use primarily on trails, although well over half of my miles or highway miles, ridden in an effort to get to the off-road trails.

The pre-08's are a bit lighter, and have less delicate plastic to bust; no generation of KLR is going to hang with the 250 lb dirt-bikes. It sounds like the KLR could actually work very well for your use. Just remember, as the trails get more challenging, ie, rocky, steep, narrow, the size of the bike will become an even greater issue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hands down, the Gen 1 is better off road than the 08'. Unless you do some mods to the gen 2, it does not handle nearly as well off road, of course that means, it is better on the street. This is my opinion and I have rode both.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2nd gen 2008 is pretty darn nice on the highway. I made a 220 mile round trip today and it was a total blast. So far, I'd say 90% of my riding has been on the street. I've been down some field trails and it does very well. It also did well in a couple of inches of mud. I don't think I'll ever take it on a motocross track, but overall it is a great dual purpose/adventure motorcycle. I've heard from several owners and read in many articles that the 1st gen is more of a dirt bike. Comparing the two, it's pretty obvious. Although, with a few modifications, I think the 2nd gen would be just a dirt worthy as the 1st gen.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey. Thanks for all the feedback!
I am convinced the saleman was just trying to convince me to buy a cheaper off-road bike that was more in my "price range". Or probably didn't know what he was talking about. Anyways, it sounds like the Gen 2 would be best for me. It will take some getting used to off-road. But I am looking forward to it. Any advice is helpful!
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
What the other guys said.

I love to shred off road! Good hill climber too.
It's no motocrosser and whoop de doos just ain't happenin'.
It has no trouble at ALL with mild jumps, dropoffs, ATV trails, etc.
It's ok in mud n' sand too if ya keep it moving.

A dirty KLR is a happy KLR, both generations. LOL

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

PS. Mine's an '09. Great off roader, better on the highways tho which is where
I log the most time and miles. My bro in law loves his '07 and won't ever part with it.
He has a short commute, and 50+ acres out back. Just depends on what you plan
to do most of.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
High mileage?

One more question for you all....
What is high mileage for a 2008/2009 KLR.
I was looking at one online and it's relatively cheap. But it's at like 12,000 miles (2008 model). I just wasn't sure whats considered a lot.

Thanks

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
One more question for you all....
What is high mileage for a 2008/2009 KLR.
I was looking at one online and it's relatively cheap. But it's at like 12,000 miles (2008 model). I just wasn't sure whats considered a lot.

Thanks
I have 13K on my '08 and I'm pretty much a piker.

You'd be getting into serious mileage at ~20K/year.

Condition is more important, and having the records on service, gas, and oil changes would be a big plus.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
It all depends on who done rid it. My 08 has that mileage and runs like a top. But I didn't beat the shit out of it. Sounds unhelpful, but it really comes down to how it was treated for those miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bullshit is right....The Gen 2 is good off road provided it's set up for it. It is about as good as it gets for dirt roads and such. Nothing is fun on gravel unless you like riding on a damned bed of marbles!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had my 09 for less than a week, but I gave it a good try-out over the long weekend, both on pavement, gravel and off-road.
I'm coming off of a DRZ400, which I've used quite a bit for off-roading. But it wasn't all that comfortable for back road touring. Hence the KLR.

What I found, after taking it to a friends farm and spending an hour of pasture riding and hill climbing is that the KLR ROCKS!!!. True, it is heavier and not near as agile as my DRZ - but it has NO problems negotiating rough terrain and climbing steep, rocky hills.

I've never ridden a pre 08, so I can't make a comparison there...but off road with the Gen 2 KLR? YOU BETCHA!!!!!

I no longer spend that much time in the dirt, and I have do doubt that doing so hour upon hour on the KLR would wear a person out, but if I need or want to go there - my KLR seems more than capable of doing the job.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have 13K on my '08 and I'm pretty much a piker.

You'd be getting into serious mileage at ~20K/year.

Condition is more important, and having the records on service, gas, and oil changes would be a big plus.

Tom

Condition +1

Question the owner... Has he done the doo or even know what it is? Checked/adjusted the valves? Oil change frequency? How does he ride it? How much oil does it burn? etc.

In my mind a good owner keeps records and does preventative maintance. Don't buy an unknown, in my experience it's not worth it! The money you save up front will be payed back and more!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I've had my 09 for less than a week, but I gave it a good try-out over the long weekend, both on pavement, gravel and off-road.
I'm coming off of a DRZ400, which I've used quite a bit for off-roading. But it wasn't all that comfortable for back road touring. Hence the KLR.

What I found, after taking it to a friends farm and spending an hour of pasture riding and hill climbing is that the KLR ROCKS!!!. True, it is heavier and not near as agile as my DRZ - but it has NO problems negotiating rough terrain and climbing steep, rocky hills.

I've never ridden a pre 08, so I can't make a comparison there...but off road with the Gen 2 KLR? YOU BETCHA!!!!!

I no longer spend that much time in the dirt, and I have do doubt that doing so hour upon hour on the KLR would wear a person out, but if I need or want to go there - my KLR seems more than capable of doing the job.

I came off a DRZ 400S. I went with the KLR for longer road trips and no doubt it's better than the DRZ for that. Off-road the DRZ smokes the KLR no comparison. You can actually be somewhat aggressive on the DRZ not so much on the KLR. It's just too heavy and softly suspended. Also the motor is slower to rev more torque yes but the weight negates that.

I live in the desert and have real dirt bikes so my opinion is based on higher speed riding than back in the east. The KLR will go most of the places a dirt bike would go but it's way more work. A Goldwing will go down a dirt road so that's not my idea of off-road. I won't purposely ride my KLR anywhere technical off-road, don't need the abuse!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agreed Spec. If I did more off-roading I would hang on to the DRZ. Most of my off pavement riding is back road touring. The DRZ works for that too, but after 100 miles or so, I'm ready to get the heck off of it.

If I could afford to house 3 bikes in my stable, I would keep the Zook for those times I want to get knarly. My aging bones don't like being rattled so much these days and more technical riding no longer has the appeal that it used to.

Both are great bikes. If you can't have fun on either of them, you just aren't trying hard enough!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've just recently bought a used 2001 and have test rode a couple 2008's and even though the Gen 1 is lighter, I felt the Gen 2 had better suspension "stock" even in off road conditions. I was at the Harley dealer at the time getting some parts and had always thought about a KLR and they had a used trade-in 2008. Started talking to the sales man and he said no one's ridden that bike in a couple months so take it for a test ride and make sure you're not back before an hour :) It had some 606 street legal knobbies too LOL.

So off I go towards my house and hit all my local ATV trails and I was real pleased with the bike. Yes it's heavy for a dirt bike but to me it felt light and agil as I'm used to riding 2up, lots of luggage on 850lb touring bikes so weigh didn't seem of issue to me.

Long story short, for what you describe doing with it, it would be a great choice.

I ended up with a Gen 1 only because it was a cheap older bike and I'm trying to determine what my dual-sport riding style will be so I'll probably get something different soon but I'm not knocking the Gen 1 either, I'm having fun around the house on it but it needs serious upgrades to suspension for my heavy weight self.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts