320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any memebers here that does this?

My wife and I are keen geocachers - found 272 and placed 4

Show you places where you normally wont go

·
Registered
901 Posts
I do the geocaching thing around the area where I live here in Northern Utah. It's a fun way to pass the time and to get out of the house. Last spring I was doing the geocaching from my truck - and I'm planning on hitting the roads/trails again (on the KLR) as soon as it warms up a bit. I'm looking forward to hitting the west desert area out along the Pony Express Route and collecting those caches...

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
My son and I geocache as well, not on the bike though. It's a great hobby to get you out and about and see new places and things. Were just using a bargain basement eTrex (the yellow one with the black and white screen) and my cellphone. We even did a murder mystery geocache thing that a museum was putting on, it was a lot of fun! Looking forward to getting out again if we ever get spring here. :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
My wife and i have been doing it for years. We have done it in mexico, vegas, Alaska, Montana and a few different provinces in Canada. Meaning geo caching.... It was starting to sound dirty! Its so easy from the Iphone now. You can just click the app an find them anywhere vs going to a computer. Great pass time

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
490 Posts
I wouldn't consider myself an avid geocacher but I will sign them when I happen across them. Kind of a cool way to add something to a ride.

·
Administrator
8,352 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
That would probably halt my urban geocache experience as well!

·
Registered
901 Posts
How do you get started?
Is there an app or something that uses your phone's GPS?

As far as I know, you can use the GPS feature on your phone to find them.

Go to www.geocaching.com to log in and search for caches in your area. I don't know how it works on a phone, but on my GPS unit, you download the information for each GPS into the unit's memory, then when you're out and about, you'll see the icon on the screen as you approach a cache. Eventually, you find it, and then you'll sign your name (or alias) into the log book for the cache, and if it's a larger size one, there are often "trade goods" in it - you take an item and leave an item.

Personally, I haven't removed anything from a cache... I have however gone to the local dollar store and picked up a bunch of $1 trinkets to leave behind. Quite a few people geocache with their kids, so leaving a Hot Wheels car or something like that is a fun "find" for the kids.

·
Registered
265 Posts
How do you get started?
Is there an app or something that uses your phone's GPS?

Yeah if you have an iphone you can get the real app. I think it was $10.00. But well worth it. It does everything the computer does. Plus you can just click find caches near you and they show right up. Now you will never have to go to a computer and download the info. Its all right on your phone. I like it for the unexpected caches like when the wife is shopping of something i can just go look for some local city caches. Always able to just do them!

·
Banned
277 Posts
Yeah if you have an iphone you can get the real app. I think it was $10.00. But well worth it. It does everything the computer does. Plus you can just click find caches near you and they show right up. Now you will never have to go to a computer and download the info. Its all right on your phone. I like it for the unexpected caches like when the wife is shopping of something i can just go look for some local city caches. Always able to just do them!

$10 for an app! I'm glad I don't have an iPhone... navigation apps cost iPhone users $50 for anything decent too... :screwy: :D

Actually I see the "official" android one is $10 also, but there's plenty of free and cheap options to get started with also.

I'll have to check this out, might be a good way to pick riding destinations. :cool:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll have to check this out, might be a good way to pick riding destinations.

And that it does :thumb:

·
Registered
901 Posts
$10 for an app! I'm glad I don't have an iPhone... navigation apps cost iPhone users $50 for anything decent too... :screwy: :D

Actually I see the "official" android one is $10 also, but there's plenty of free and cheap options to get started with also.

I'll have to check this out, might be a good way to pick riding destinations. :cool:

I've been browsing through the geocaching map online today while here at work (the plant is running smooth) trying to figure what area I want to hit up when it warms up enough to ride... :cool0012:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts