Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here using it and happy (without an upgraded stator)?

Just curious if I should bother installing an outlet plug for this fall/winter. :)

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Lifetime Member
2,485 Posts
Not using it, but I sure wish I had some! Living in the great white north there's lots of riding days when a little extra help staying warm would be greatly appreciated! I'll be watching this thread to see peoples opinions :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reading I've done sounds like you can mount a voltmeter and watch it as you turn up the heat to establish the max the bike can handle. Of course I've not yet found a good analog voltmeter. :)

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
341 Posts
I use WarmNSafe gear...never a problem...longest ride while using was two hrs, all at highway speed...I turn it off when rpms drop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use WarmNSafe gear...never a problem...longest ride while using was two hrs, all at highway speed...I turn it off when rpms drop.
Which items do you wear? I'd like to wear socks, gloves, pants & shirt liners on the highway with a dual controler. Is that possible on an 09 KLR with no upgrades? Of coarse the dealer says yes but I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I can't use. I'm new to this and would sure appreciate hearing anyones input. Thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
Which items do you wear? I'd like to wear socks, gloves, pants & shirt liners on the highway with a dual controler. Is that possible on an 09 KLR with no upgrades? Of coarse the dealer says yes but I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I can't use. I'm new to this and would sure appreciate hearing anyones input. Thanks
I wear gloves and jacket liner only. I also have the pants liners, but have never worn them...not even once. Still new in package. I find that my lined, armored riding pants over my jeans are plenty warm enough...at least down into the 40 degree range. Wool sock under my Sidi boots, and my feet are always warm. I'm really not hard core enough anymore to ride down into low 40's or below. I'll leave that you you more adventuresome types. Thus, gloves and jacket liner are enough for me. (I'd sell the pants liners if someone's interested...say 40% off current retail price).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for much for the information, I appreciate it! Anybody else has anything please let me know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't know if the KLR can handle heated clothing, but FWIW......

I have a Gerbing Jacket I bought about 2 - 3 years ago.
My paperwork lists the following for current draw.
Jacket--- 6.4 Amps
Pants--- 4 Amps
Gloves--- 2.2 Amps
Socks--- 2.2 Amps

BTW: I mounted this on all my bikes, and Kubota tractor to keep track of the battery voltage. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/984/8115/ITEM/Kuryakyn-LED-Battery-Gauge.aspx

I measured the voltages at the different colors, and the red comes on just at 12 Volts
Pretty acurate and ruggard for use on outdoor equipment. (Water resistant enough for a motorcycle.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Voltage

Larry31 - Where did you mount the voltmeter and how did you hook it up? I'd pop for one if I thought I was smart enough to install it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Larry31 - Where did you mount the voltmeter and how did you hook it up? I'd pop for one if I thought I was smart enough to install it.
As for mounting, follow the link in my original post and scroll to the small pix's under the first big image. Small image #6 ( Click on pix to enlarge.)
The nice thing about the LED Battery Gauge, is it can be stuck to any flat surface.
When I mount it to my equipment, I sometimes, make an adaptor plate from sheet aluminum.

I found a switched wire under the seat, next to the fuse for the fan.
I cut (only the insulation ) off the wire, and soldered the positive LED indicator wire to it. Wrapped it with electricians tape. Coated that with RTV to keep the tape from coming off.
The Neg. LED indicator wire was connected to a convenient chassis point.
I like using an ignition switched point on the bike, so it goes off when I shut down.

I used a 2 wire cable purchased from a local electrical supply. It has an outer insulated cover, that helps to protect it from being pinched, when I route the wire from one area of the bike to where the gauge is mounted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm just interested in heated gloves. Anyone know if you can wear them alone or do they need to be work with the vest?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Gloves

You can use the gloves alone. I wired my Kubota for winter plowing. Sometimes I use both jacket liner and gloves, and sometimes just the gloves.
I use the dual controller. It has two pigtails. If using jacket, you plug both into the jacket, just above the waist. The jacket has zipper pockets in the sleeves that have pigtails that connect to the gloves.

If no jacket, you need an extra cable that goes from the controller to the gloves in two cables.

This guy has a lot of knowledge and stock of the Gerbing clothing.
Feel free to give him a call.
Venco Wings.... http://www.vencowings.com/
Ask for Jim.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been riding here in New England in temperatures as low as 12 deg. F. Just got to watch out for iced road surfaces. :Damn: I have the Tourmaster Jacket and Tourmaster Venture Pants. Both have nice/warm liners. I also have the Gerbing's Jacket liner and gloves. The jacket liner is thin but warm-similar to a windbreaker.

During the cold weather (<35 deg. F) I ALWAYS wear Poly undershirt and Poly long pants. My undershirt actually has breast pockets and looks like a long sleeve shirt when jacket is removed. If I am going someplace where I will be removing my M/C jacket & pants I will wear thin pants over my Poly underwear.

I find that for any rides under 1 hr. I just use my Tourmaster jacket and pants AND Gerbing gloves (unplugged). That alone will keep me warm. Any rides over 1 hr. I definitely like to wear my electric jacket liner. I usually have to set the liner to less than 1/3 on the adjustment knob. Anything higher and I start to sweat. The knobs on the controls did not come with any markings. When I wear the liner I connect the gloves to the liner sleeves. When I don't wear the liner I have the long wire harness for 2 gloves. The harness runs under my jacket sleeves.

When I ride in temps above 40 deg. F I might just have a regular shirt and my jacket W/O using any warm undergarments BUT I still have to hook up my electric gloves. If the gloves are not hooked up, my fingers tend to get cold even on a short ride. The gloves actually came with long-double wire harness to hook up directly to the controls as opposed to the short hook-up to the liner jacket.

On one of the other posts someone asked about power drainage while using the electric clothing. When the bike is running W/O any hookups my volt meter reads ~14.0V. When I hook up the jacket and gloves the reading fluctuates somewhere around ~13.4V so I don't see much of a problem as far as power-drain. Then again I don't turn the controls all the way up to full power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks very much! It's great to hear from someone who has done it regularly and has the numbers. I have my meter and heated gear wiring installed, but the weather here in NE has been so bad I haven't been able to try it. As soon as the roads stay dry during the day so they aren't ice covered in the morning I'll be riding. I'm riding to Tucson in April, my first long trip, and want to know what to expect from my gear. It sounds like we have very similar gear. I've taken the truck in April and seen blizzards or sunny and 70. Thanks again!

·
Registered
94 Posts
dodger

I just added some things to my previous post. Just want to let you know that before your long trip you should take a short ride during cold weather and see what your clothing/equipment can provide. It doesn't take long to test your gear to see if you are too hot, too cold or you might need some adjustments. The thing I like about all that gear I mentioned is that the pants and jacked have great body protection and the Poly underwear retain heat and keep you warm if wet. Also I did not mention this previously but I have two types of boots that I wear. If it is dry (no major puddles on the road) I wear my heavy duty work boots (Gor-Tex) and I keep my feet warm with just some heat-insoles that last about 4 hrs. If I am going to get some road splash I wear my wool-lined Sorrels, also with heat pads. I do not own any electric pants or sox. The Tourmaster pants keep me dry on the legs.

I read someplace here that the pants might get wet in the crotch area during a downpour but so far I have not experienced that. I might spray the crotch area with some type of watre repellent when the time comes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Corrections and additions

Sorry folks, if you are following this post...I had to edit/correct some sections of my previous posts.:twak:

·
Registered
60 Posts
OK--after listening to all you guys, I'm convinced that I want a pair of the Gerbing heated gloves. I'm thinking the G3 gloves will be best for me. Now--how about some advice on the best places to purchase for the best price? thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
hottrodd7

OK--after listening to all you guys, I'm convinced that I want a pair of the Gerbing heated gloves. I'm thinking the G3 gloves will be best for me. Now--how about some advice on the best places to purchase for the best price? thanks
OK hottrodd7, I can't help you on where to get the cheapest Gerbing gloves because I am not a "shopper". I see, I buy, I cry... I wanted them right away because I could not ride another day waiting for delivery. :character00271:I paid around $180-$190 for my gloves at a local bike shop. I am sure that you can find a better deal on the web.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Visit your local dealer; ask if any discounts might apply to your purchase; negotiate the product and the price and buy it.

Gerbing's remains the "gold standard" of heated clothing (with lifetime wiring guarantee); carries value internationally; you're not going to successfully cheap-John, KLRista-style haggle on this merchandise, IMHO.

No offense intended, but: If the marginal savings possible is make-or-break, maybe you can't afford it.

What are you going to do for a controller? Single? Dual? Portable or permanently-mounted? Or, inexpensive ON/OFF switch connector?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts