Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I'm looking at buying two kick start assembles from a klr 600. Does anyone have any tips on where to find any parts. I've been looking on eBay and partzilla but most parts aren't available. If anyone has any leads I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
The factory was still selling this kit for 200$ on OEM websites unless they ran out or stopped. Try adept powersports or babbits.

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
The factory was still selling this kit for 200$ on OEM websites unless they ran out or stopped.
Hahahahahaha, Sorry.
They "ran out" of full kits about 15-20 years ago! They have since ran out of most of the individual parts.

Maybe China will start make new full kits?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahahahahaha, Sorry.
They "ran out" of full kits about 15-20 years ago! They have since ran out of most of the individual parts.

Maybe China will start make new full kits?
Yeah not holding my breath for that one.

I ended up buying a klr 600 for $300 and took the Kickstart out. Along with the clutch basket and idler gear.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah not holding my breath for that one.

I ended up buying a klr 600 for $300 and took the Kickstart out. Along with the clutch basket and idler gear.
I think you went the best way. There are guys that have put it one on a post 1996 gen1, and I think used the later clutch basket (1996-early 2011). It's been more than 10 years since I was working with the guy on it though, and I don't remember the details any more .I have one engine in the stash with a kickstarter on it, but I can't remember where it came from right now. It's a very early Gen1.
Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you went the best way. There are guys that have put it one on a post 1996 gen1, and I think used the later clutch basket (1996-early 2011). It's been more than 10 years since I was working with the guy on it though, and I don't remember the details any more .I have one engine in the stash with a kickstarter on it, but I can't remember where it came from right now. It's a very early Gen1.
Good luck!
Your actual just the guy I need to talk to about this. I'm currently disassembiling my engine to swap my transmission to a pre 2011 transmission so I can mount the idler gear on for the kick start. I figured while I have the top end apart anyways why not upgrade to a 685 big bore kit. My only concern is will the increased compression make kick starting the bike a lot harder. If so I'm trying to think if there's some way to add a decompression system to the top end to make kicking over the bike much easier. Any insight you have on the issues I'd love to hear thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Your actual just the guy I need to talk to about this. I'm currently disassembiling my engine to swap my transmission to a pre 2011 transmission so I can mount the idler gear on for the kick start. I figured while I have the top end apart anyways why not upgrade to a 685 big bore kit. My only concern is will the increased compression make kick starting the bike a lot harder. If so I'm trying to think if there's some way to add a decompression system to the top end to make kicking over the bike much easier. Any insight you have on the issues I'd love to hear thanks.
The factory exhaust camshaft has a decompression pin for the right side exhaust valve.
The increase in compression isn't enough to worry about IMO. I used to have the pistons made close to stock ratio, now I'm having them made to increase slightly. I measured the stock at 9.5 (static) and the current 685 calc's at 9.9. The actual is lower than this due to the camshaft profiles and timing. Right this minute I don't remember the base gasket thickness, but one can change CR a bit by changing base gasket thickness. Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The factory exhaust camshaft has a decompression pin for the right side exhaust valve.
The increase in compression isn't enough to worry about IMO. I used to have the pistons made close to stock ratio, now I'm having them made to increase slightly. I measured the stock at 9.5 (static) and the current 685 calc's at 9.9. The actual is lower than this due to the camshaft profiles and timing. Right this minute I don't remember the base gasket thickness, but one can change CR a bit by changing base gasket thickness. Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks I actually just opened my top end up and saw the decompression for the right side. Feel a bit dumb for not checking before asking.
I do appreciate the help!

·
Administrator
8,912 Posts
Kicking a Gen 2 with 11:1 compression ratio, with active KACR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts