Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're planning on a long ride in a week or so. My gas tank on my Beemer DS is 2 gal or so, not much. My riding pardner on his KLR is 6 gal or so.

We want to get gas from his tank to mine. Thought we would pull off the fuel line from the pecock to carb and fill the small fuel bottles I take, but no gas will come out unless the engine is running..

What gives, is it not gravity feed?????

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
the pet cock has a second line that is a vacum the valve is like a check valve operated off the vacum. hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I did see another, smaller line above the fuel line. Do we need to disconect it also?? Or what do we need to do to drain gas from the tank??

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
you may try it i have not tryed it my self yet not sure but i think the valve will stay shut with out vacum from all my readings try it and see an option to think about is pull the line like you said get a small pair of neddle nose vise grips start the bike to pull vacum clamp of vacum line kill engine see if it holds vacum to hold valve open just a thaught.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
an other option that would be simpler would be to get one of the fuil bulbs form a boat gas tank with some hose and make you a sifine pump to carry with on trips.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Go down to Walmart and pick up one of these for a couple of dollars.

·
Registered
704 Posts
What slo said. I'd go the siphon route first. For a big thrill I'd pick up a universal 12v fuel pump at PepBoys, plug it into whatever 12v auxiliary power source you use (battery tender works fine) and enjoy. The big benefit of the siphon or pump is that you can access gas from other sources if you need to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts