Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short-experienced rider with new KLR-went off roading yesterday, got stuck in mud(Hiding under weeds..). My question is not about staying away from mud-rather how does one mosst efficiently remove their KLR from mud when rear tire is donw to axle? Can this be done alone without spending 4 hours doing it and feeling like a was totally spent.I'm basically in shape,bench 275, walk 2 miles daily..

Thanks in advance,
M

·
Administrator
8,262 Posts
Mark -

In SoCal we don't have a lot of mud, so if that happened to me I would probably leave the bike there until the mud dried out and I could ride it off...

Others with more experience with mud will come by with far more helpful answers.

T

·
Registered
219 Posts
No real good way that I know of if it's that deep in the mud. You'll just have to throw it on it's side and drag it out to firmer ground. It will help to have a few helpers. If you're by yourself, you're just gonna have to drag one end at a time and rest as needed.

A few times of doing that, you learn to avoid the deep mud or just stay on the gas and keep your speed up to get through it.

·
Administrator
8,262 Posts
...Is taking a "come-a-long"(Hand operated wench) stupid??
Hey! Family forum, buddy. No more talking about hand operated wenches.

T

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
How about a long tree limb and using it to "lever" the bike up.
Then put branches under the wheel.

Never had to do it with my bike.
I spent 3 - 4 hours once, doing that with my VW bug.
Same conditions, spring grass hiding the soft water soaked ground under.
All I had with me was a spade. Used the spade as an axe to chop brush. Rocks under the bumper jack. (This was many years ago when cars had bumpers. {1963 or 64? }

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did the same thing myself yesterday. Mud under grass that I didn't see, I noticed the engine gaining RPM while I was slowing. Tried feathering the throttle to keep it going to no avail. I didn't get it up to the axle but it was deep enough to stand up on it's own. I got off the bike and, while holding it up (just in case), I dragged the ass end up and out of the mud until the rear tire was on top of the mud but out of it's own rut. Then I walked beside the bike using the throttle and clutch to get me to Terra fir ma.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Throw it over on it side and drag it back to firmer ground. Stand back up... repeat.
You sir are correct. The trouble can be getting the tire and bike to lay down, let alone keeping yourself from sinking into the soup while getting the bike out.
One method mentioned using a branch and I've seen this work, but only with two or more helping. A rope works if your alone and can get to higher ground. I've also found lifting the rear out first to make rolling it out easier. Key is knowing when to quit trying to use the engine to get out.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I hear that WARN is now making a winch for motorcycles..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts