Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about the way I ride now, versus the way I used to ride. And this occurred to me. In the past I have been cut off, almost hit, verbally abused, etc. In the past, I have chased down those cagers and given them a piece of my mind. It has only turned out well once. I posted this on another forum, but there was one time a woman ran a stop sign. Almost hit me. I didn't even follow her, but ended up behind her a few minutes later. So I pulled up to her window to explain that she could have hurt me. Two big dogs in the back. She starts screaming and then I hear, "Officer...Officer...help, this man is harassing me!" Crap. Turn around and there is a cop car blocking both of us. I explained, gave my liscence. I could see the computer in the cop car and maybe one or two lines of text came up. The cop told me to have a nice day. Right as I was pulling away, I see them run her card and the computer lit up like a GD slot machine. I went to get lunch a few minutes later and she was in cuffs and her dogs were waiting on animal control (I assume). Funny story. BUT. She could have thrown hot coffee in my face. She could have shot me. I could have gone to jail.

At the very best the cager will just say you were in the wrong and you end up feeling worse. Food for thought. I still get the urge, but now I just shake my head and ride on.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The urge to slap them upside the head is sometimes hard to let go, LOL. But, you are right, better to just laff it off and be glad your still on two wheels and not waiting on an ambulance or worse. I myself also pulled up to a man in a truck the cut me off by mere inches. Before I could get a word out, he was apologizing all over himself for doing that. That's the only one I have had that went well too. Most cagers would just turn their head and drive away real fast from me when they realized they had screwed up.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That reminds me. Guy almost hit me once. I trail him down a hill, calming down. He pulls over in front of three guys on bikes. Apologized like hell. Used to ride. Never saw me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Very valuable info for the NewGuys! ..You should post this as a must read for them(me)....most of the times new is another word for young, and you remember how short your patience was back then...thanks for the info!

·
Registered
272 Posts
give chase?

Over the years, I have had some roadside discussions with car drivers that I felt needed etiquette lessons. It usually just gets everybody involved really pissed off and rarely solves anything. There are so many dumbasses driving on the roads these days, how am I going to teach them any manners?
One on one? so little time.
I ride like I am invisible, as if no one can see me.
I expect cars to pull into my path.
I don't ride in blind spots.
I don't presume I have the right of way.
I don't cross centerlines on blind turns.

Loud pipes won't save my life and helmets don't suck.
I gear up to crash, then do my best to avoid crashing.

And I still enjoy my rides. I try to not let people have the power to piss me off.
After all, I am riding and they are stuck in their cars, eating, putting on make-up, reading, texting, chatting, dialing, pretty much doing everything but paying attention to their driving. poor things. We can't really expect them to be watching out for us too.

Bottom line, WATCH OUT.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Bottom line, WATCH OUT.
You and I have the same set of rules.:)

My favorite (scariest) moment was the day I was riding home through some hills with blind turns and deep ups and downs. If you believe in God, then he told me "slow down, something is in the road ahead". So I backed it off from 65+ to a still fun 45mph. Sure enough as I came over a hill here sits a mid sized car blocking the whole street! Even at 45 it was every bit of breaking I had to stop. When I did get stopped all I could utter was "What the Fu*K are you doing???" Aparently the driver, a young female, could hear me and cries back," I was turning around to go back home cause the car isn't running right". :49: :50: :mad0235: :character00271: Dumb bitch couldn't find a drive way??? When she started to leave my first thought was I'm gona follow this moron home and give Mom and Dad an account of what there idiot daughter just did. But after a few minuites I realized what I wanted was to beat someone into pieces and there was no chance of an intelligent conversation. So I broke off chase and went home to cool down.:animal0034: :23a:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hey Everybody,

I've gotta weigh in on this one, what I am submitting is true and not meant to be taken as self aggrandising in any way.

"A green light at an intersection means let off the throttle & look all four ways that includes your rear view".

I'll be 55 soon. I've been riding since I as 16. I have ridden from Newfoundland to about every other point you can name. I have a bad right hand that got that way from breaking it on skulls. My left is still pretty solid but I'm getting way too old for that skull crap.

I never chased anyone down to give them a piece of my mind. If they disrespected me enough I never even let them know what was coming I just laid back and waited for my opportunity then did what I felt needed to be done. I guess it was a sort of controlled rage.

Looking back I would not recommend this type behavior in today's world. Getting busted for assault or shot even though the other guy dam near killed you with a car? Not an argument I would like to make in front of a jury. I was lucky. I never got hit (by a car) and was 6'5" 228lbs and trained in fighting I got the bad guy and got away every time. Now days with cell phones and people every where I doubt that you can give someone a good ass whipping and leave without being identified. I would never try it again for several reasons not the least of which is my glass hand.

Keep your eyes open, avoid aggressive drivers and do your best not to let anyone get close enough to clip you. A green light at an intersection means let off the throttle & look all four ways that includes your rear view. Stay safe and do yourself a favor, don't give in to the rage that you feel when exposed to someone who desperately needs their ass kicked, you'll probably get in trouble. I feel funny saying that but it's true, this ain't the old days and we need our freedom more than we need our revenge.

The ardster

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good points. Ard, cancel that fight we had planned.

If I may add...to simplify a bit. I always stay out of blind spots, and I consider everything the other guys sees to be one big blind spot. ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I follow KS's rules too - good ways to avoid becoming a statistic.
Cager's brains DO NOT recognise as an object anything smaller than their own vehicle - we are SCENERY!! They fully expect to be able to occupy the same exact spot in the space/time continuum that WE do.
I once tried to chase down a road-twitch that actually PASSED me on the right, in my OWN lane! When he realised what I was doing, trying to close up to get his tag number, he rabbited. I chased him for awhile, til traffic got too intense and I had cooled down. Thinking what may have happened had I caught him - nah, not worth the hassle.

Now, if they get squirrely, I just back off. Let them be stupid to someone else. Maybe a P/U driving Bubba will put them in their place.

·
Registered
280 Posts
never tried to chase an idiot down but I did have a moron try and run me down one time a few years ago. Apparently they weren't happy that I passed a buch of cars at a light on the shoulder so I could turn right {right on red an all that} they stayed with me until I hit the gravel road. I let them get close enough and then dropped about 3 gears and rocked the throttle hard. Do you know how many rocks a fairly new D606 will throw at a car ..... She does now. Saw the car a few days later. It needed a new windshield.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I followed a guy once into a parking lot after being cut off and almost run into a curb. When I pulled up along side, I though he was going to pee his pants. He was that much inattentive in his driving! We had a polite conversation about looking around, then I left.

Mostly, since I lane split in California, I've stopped if I've tweaked someone's mirrors to check for damage (my cruiser mirrors are at the same height as trucks). I've only been yelled at once. Mostly the drivers are nervous at first when I stop, but then you can see them exhale when you're polite. It also lets them know that we are people too, not Hell's Angels degenerates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It also lets them know that we are people too, not Hell's Angels degenerates.
Let me give you a "Hell" Yeah on that one! Chalk one up for the good guys! :D

One time, when I was cut off, this truck w/ a long trailer went to the same store that I was going to. Of course, I shook my head and held up my left hand to say, "What's up with that?" They followed me into the parking lot.

I got off my bike and started laughing at the guy. He was smiling and apologizing. I said you need to watch out for US (motorcyclists). He kept on saying, "Sorry." Before I left him, I made him vow to me that he would pay more attention to US, which he said he would.

I got my two cents in, too. I told him, once we were on good terms, you don't have the right to change lanes instantly when you flip your blinker. He took it nicely and still said, "Sorry."

Like you, I said that WE are not all "Hell's Angels." WE are people that have families. He got the message.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A couple weeks ago, I had a lady in a big SUV in the leftmost lane going my way, I am in the middle lane, nobody in the right lane. Buzzing about 50MPH.
Suddenly, she decides she just has to try to occupy the very same space/time co-ordinates I am in.....! Over she comes!
I lay on the horn, trying to check traffic around me but DO NOT want to take my attention from HER! So I back off without braking too hard, in case someone is behind me.
I made it safely behind her, and she is giving me the "Royal Wave", like the effing Queen of England gives the 'little people'! :confused:
Basically telling me, "Yes, I see you and know you are there, and I don't care if I kill you for that ten feet of air space you are sitting in!"
I tell ya, if looks could kill, she'd be burn't toast!
But, since she was acting 'squirrely' and was obviously willing to kill me, I dropped way back and changed to the rightmost lane.
KLR vs. SUV with a criminally stupid driver - not worth the fight at all.

·
Registered
815 Posts
None of these people are really sorry about anything, deep down they believe we are at fault for every incident. They will say whatever to avoid confrontation, but soon as they leave they are cussing motorcycles again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Let me give you a "Hell" Yeah on that one! Chalk one up for the good guys! :D

One time, when I was cut off, this truck w/ a long trailer went to the same store that I was going to. Of course, I shook my head and held up my left hand to say, "What's up with that?" They followed me into the parking lot.

I got off my bike and started laughing at the guy. He was smiling and apologizing. I said you need to watch out for US (motorcyclists). He kept on saying, "Sorry." Before I left him, I made him vow to me that he would pay more attention to US, which he said he would.

I got my two cents in, too. I told him, once we were on good terms, you don't have the right to change lanes instantly when you flip your blinker. He took it nicely and still said, "Sorry."

Like you, I said that WE are not all "Hell's Angels." WE are people that have families. He got the message.
ya know, that still doesn't mean I can't think about pulling the browning hi-power outa the paddle holster and dumping 13 rounds into the side of the car .....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Over the years, I have had some roadside discussions with car drivers that I felt needed etiquette lessons. It usually just gets everybody involved really pissed off and rarely solves anything. There are so many dumbasses driving on the roads these days, how am I going to teach them any manners?
One on one? so little time.

And I still enjoy my rides. I try to not let people have the power to piss me off.
After all, I am riding and they are stuck in their cars, eating, putting on make-up, reading, texting, chatting, dialing, pretty much doing everything but paying attention to their driving. poor things. We can't really expect them to be watching out for us too.

Bottom line, WATCH OUT.
So right. And the big multi wheeled thingy will always win when it becomes mano et mano.

A couple of things to add to the list above.

Let the other person go first at the 4 way stop sign.

Keep a cap on the testosterone bottle.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here's my personal favorite, never cross the intersection feeling safe because you have a green light. Always look to be sure it won't be your last intersection.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts