Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 KLR650
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who wants to know: yes, you can install a givi universal mounting plate on a gen 1 KLR650 with very little effort. In all my scanning of the interwebs, I wasn't able to find any real information on this plate on this bike, so hopefully this helps some future internet lurker.

I found an older Givi Monolock top box locally for free, so of course I grabbed it.
Sourced the Givi Monolock universal mount kit from advrider (revzilla stocks it as well).

I removed the two center mounting plate screws from the stock KLR rack, then picked up some longer (~2cm longer?) versions from the hardware store. They're 6mm small head flange bolts, for reference. Add blue thread locker and voila.
I also picked up a couple more bolts that were maybe 1cm shorter than the new center bolts for the rear mounting. Drilled a couple new holes in the plate (made sure to avoid the cast-in plate crossmembers underneath), then added the bar hold downs and nylocks from the Givi mounting kit under the rack.
This plate does block the factory tool kit. But I'm working on a tool tube for the front, so I pulled the kit and will incorporate its contents into my tool roll.

Since it's using the Givi mounting plate, the box is quick release and can be added or removed in seconds. It's not the strongest or most secure thing out there, but it's big enough to store a helmet or some groceries. And when combined with my panniers, I actually have some decent storage space now for road trips.

Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Sports equipment Bumper Automotive design Automotive lighting Gadget

Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 KLR650
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ETA IMO you didn’t need to use those brackets. I think they’re for tube rack mounting.
They are, but I didn't have any big flat brackets that would have worked correctly. These fit in the space needed, and they provide a bit of spring to the attachment to prevent it from loosening.

I installed with just the two center bolts first, but I wasn't happy with the way the plate wobbled when I lifted on the box. With the four attachment points, it's rock solid.

·
Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
426 Posts
They are, but I didn't have any big flat brackets that would have worked correctly. These fit in the space needed, and they provide a bit of spring to the attachment to prevent it from loosening.

I installed with just the two center bolts first, but I wasn't happy with the way the plate wobbled when I lifted on the box. With the four attachment points, it's rock solid.
Yup, they definitely need four.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
988 Posts
Talk about a score! Those Givi boxes aren’t cheap.
Your bike is looking good senor!

Reactions: StarfuryTH

·
Registered
2005 KLR650
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talk about a score! Those Givi boxes aren’t cheap.
Your bike is looking good senor!
Thanks!

To be fair, they should be. There's not much to this thing. The only real selling feature, IMO, is the quick disconnect built into the box. Otherwise, it's just a lock that is ultra difficult to pick, installed in a cheap ABS shell that won't hold up to a ten year old with a screwdriver.

I imagine the Monokey boxes are better. But I'd never pay more than $75 for one of these.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i've been running a now very beat up monokey on both my klr and blackbird for many years.

keep an eye on that rear latch, give a good upward push to test it every now and then. it can round off over time and allow your box to go walkabout...

i've supplemented the stock attachment with a small bolt and nut (that i can tighten by hand) through the luggage rack, mounting plate & the bottom of the givi box. just strong enough to keep the rear of the box from lifting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts