Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
north carolina opens up on the 9th
staying at deals gap resort. takes about 5 hours from augusta. navy buddy will be on my klr and i’m taking the husky.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You might consider staying at the Dragon Pitt Inn Marysville, TN

Owned by the widow of my friend Dennis Dearing. Call Jane @ 865.253.3566 or check her website.

dragonpittinnandbbq.com

Place was built for mcylists in particular. And...is reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might consider staying at the Dragon Pitt Inn Marysville, TN

Owned by the widow of my friend Dennis Dearing. Call Jane @ 865.253.3566 or check her website.

dragonpittinnandbbq.com

Place was built for mcylists in particular. And...is reasonably priced.
sorry i’m locked

·
Registered
913 Posts
Have fun just remember the Dragon is a bad place to crash at. Help can be an hour away and the road forgives no error. Oncoming riders may cross the yellow and be in your face.

A gift for you: When in that area also ride 28 south down to Franklin. It's a great ride. Better than the Dragon. From the Dragon take 28 down to where it merges with 74. Stay on 28-74 east until 28 turns off to the right. Ride that to Franklin and pick up 64 east.

Take a slow cruse on 64 east through the gorge. The views will be killer until the trees leaf out. It's amazing!!!! My favorite road. Almost want to ride Bitch so I don't miss the views. Keep your eyes on the road and go slow so you can see the waterfalls. One after the other. If you like that stuff, take a few dollar bills and go see Dry Falls. I think it's 3 bucks. Honor system. It's right on 64. You can't miss it. If you don't like steps, ride on by. You can walk behind the waterfall. It's kind of cool.

Go on through Highlands and on into Cashiers. Pick up 107 North in Cashiers and take it up to Sylva where you can get back on 74 west headed back to your camp.

FYI: Look a Google Maps. 74 is/was closed west of 28. Shouldn't have any effect on the ride I talked about above. Also I think the road down to Fontana dam is closed. Again no effect on you.

Now if you don't go on these roads I've told you about and you stay over there on that 11 mile streach of over-rated blacktop, don't come on here bitchin' that you had a bad time.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i am. on the way home route:
us129 to, nc141 to us 64 to nc69-ga515, us76 to ga17 at macedonia. head for home. twisties in ga17 above alpine town helen are quite good. ga17 from macedonia runs all the way to i20

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ride report soon. returning home today. saw 3 or 4 klr’s also. husky was well suited for deals gap. new shinko podiums performed flawlessly

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
left thurs the 14th. took the back way up to georgia guidestones. we gawked and took a bunch of pics. headed up ga77 went thru hartwell and headed northeast to pick up 441. stopped at deepest hole east of the mississippi (tallulah gorge)
next stop franklin nc and pick up 28 and head for deals gap. this section of 28 is quite twisty so be on your A game. made it to the resort. checked in, ate, and made a run. all extra luggage stripped of the husky. ran great. shinko podiums felt quite stable. my buddy ridin my klr. opted to relax and start drinking. we did cherohala skyway to tellico plains to marysville us129. the top end of the dragon on saturday. ate some great brisket at the dragonpitt and headed back to the resort. return trip we did same as last year. great time. 581 miles thur-sat.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JzjagWzuQWVH3kgZ9

killer vid i made.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11qtHLVCVoBu6KBn1qsWT-zMrzyXIYCR6/view?usp=drivesdk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Glad you liked the food at the Pitt. My buddy Dennis would be happy to know things are still going well with Jane running the place by herself. Are you considering staying there next trip?

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
unfortunately i’m locked at deals gap resort again. the brisket was amazing. yes, i will have stay there one day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts