Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the first thing you would need to do,is sort out your water pump,You can do this one of 2 ways,electric water pump{i have done a thread on that},or a shorter chain to drive the stock pump.Electric water pump is the way to go IMO.You don't have to remove the balancer shafts,they can hang in your crankcase.The myth if you have a out of time doo e.g. your cb chain has jumped a tooth.Your bike is going to shake like hell,what this has to do with having no doo,i have no idea.Having no doo is not the same as having a out of time doo.Which brings us to the fun part.What is it like with out a doo?If there was some way to put sound on this thread,i would record the left hand side of my motor.It is not what you hear,but what you don't hear that makes you think hmmm.The worse part of not having a doo ,is the first time you see your bike on the side stand warming up.That image will haunt me for along time.If you want to make a horror movie about a possessed motorcycle,just unhook your doo put your klr on it's side stand on a concrete floor,and start it up a star is born.As it warms up it gets a little better,with the gas tank just going up,and down.When you give the bike abit of a rev,the motor spins up very,very fast.It was at this point i was thinking what have i done.I turned it off,and went inside for a coffee.This was my klr600 so i am thinking if it blows up,it blows up.I have got to find out how bad it is to ride.This is the funny part i start it up,it is just the same as before.Then i click it into gear let out the clutch,and it smooths out.At low revs it feels good,but very unklr like.At this stage i have a smile on my face,and i am in 2nd gear.Go for a hard run up my street in 2nd.Get to the end thinking the clutch is slipping,it builds revs very fast,and it vibrates like a kx500.I turn around and see the black line up the road.I now have a huge smile on my face.That was about 10000klms ago.I have now unhooked the doo on my 650,it still vibrates like a open class mx bikes.My plan is to get the crank balanced,and see if that smooths it out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gday JHP it is going to be a little while before i can do the crank.I need the bike for transport till xmas.Got a few piston ideas rolling around in my head,that might help with the vibes aswell.Cheers Peter

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Did you just unhook the doo system or remove the balancer system completely.
This has my interest indeed.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Cheap bass Turd i just unhooked it.The shafts are still there,i will pull them out when i split the cases.I still have to get the vibes down a bit to call it a winner.I will be riding it to and from work 100klms round trip,the way it is till xmas.Then i will do some crank work.Cheers Peter

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I know this thread is ancient but I am so intrigued by this. @peter650 hasn't been on the site for 9 years but has anyone else played around with this? I was laughing so hard imagining the possessed bike jumping around on warmup and then the black burnout up the road. Gut some parts, add an electric coolant pump and put a saddle on a wolverine. 😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
As an exercise, this has some interest; as a practical solution, not so much - the stock counterbalance system with the minor addition of an EM doo lever and torsion spring is extremely reliable; when you start to factor in the effort and expense of balancing the crank, installing an electric coolant pump, etc. etc....(should use a lighter aftermarket piston too).......well, IMO it's a solution to a question that nobody (well, almost nobody) asked.

That said, though I have no interest in trying it, I encourage others to pursue "off the wall" solutions so we all can learn something. ....so go for it. ;-)

2 cents,
Dave

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
That is another reason I was curious. I already have the 685 kit in which would smooth it out a bit. I am jumping ahead of myself here since I am still rebuilding my Six Million Dollar Man but boy am I curious. I'll get my project buttoned up and actually ride the damn thing a while before I seriously consider playing around. It wouldn't be that difficult and I will never ever leave well enough alone. On that note, here is a Casimiroa edulis with 6 rootstocks and currently 9 cultivars grafted into the canopy planted in a giant mound of biochar enriched soil.

In the tropical fruit circles I often find myself saying "If I don't do it, who will?"

I like this post that came from another forum that you also commented in.

"It's can be done and has been. Peter650 worked it out. He has done a number of significant mods to both cut weights and improve engine response....

He pulled the balancer system, waterpump, electric start, and CV Carb. Last I was aware, he's running a Flatside carb, kickstart, and is doing some general overhaul now that he has reached the 100K mark. He's happy with it, which means the modifications have worked the way he wanted them to. I'm having trouble finding the info, but a google search on his name and electric waterpump will get you on your way.

Bottom line, why not? It's your time, resources, and life. Do what you want and have fun."

The rest of the thread was people basically shitting on the idea. Nobody was like, probably a bad idea but could be fun! I tried to dig up whatever info I could search for and it seems either my search skills aren't up to snuff or the powers that be decided to edit out previous confrontational threads. There was even another thread on a different site that mentioned some sort of meltdown of a well known member but I can't find the damn gossip column.

I suppose that is why print will never die. Between the censorship and the monumental shitting of the bed that is the photobucket debacle so much has been lost. The more I think about it I should reference my bike as Ted Kaczynski instead of Colonel Steve Austin.

Peter650, if you are out there, come back to us!

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I reread the old post on .net. you might also want to read this one: Electric Water Pump

I was unable to find anything useful after his KLR600 experiment; nothing on how the 650 worked or if he ever succeeded or attempted to get the "no counterbalance system" 650 to relatively normal vibration levels.

Dave

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Tumbleweed's post was the only thing I could find that mentioned a possible long term use.

I clicked on Peter650 profile and read through every comment he put on here yesterday looking for some breadcrumbs. I saved a few quotes with the insert quote feature.

I like standard tubes,i put seat belt webbing in my tyres.The other thing i never run my tyres below 14lbs.
Well as most of you know, i unhooked my Doo. I have been riding around on it, for a while now. Even been down a few freeways, did a few 700 + klm days. I think i can get the bike to smooth out with gearing. I will balance the crank one day, but i don't think it is a life or death thing. Without the Doo i can feel the bike come onto cam like never before. Gave a mate who has a stock KLR a ride. I told him to put it in 3rd pin it and wait. He came back with a huge grin on his face. I think this motor could come into it's own with a set of cams. I know people have tried cams with mixed results, but i am 100% sure i can get a set that will give a big top end hit. The other thing is its pulling higher gearing. When you rev it it comes up onto cam faster, so you can ride a higher gear on trails. I put a 16 / 43 sprocket on, 165klm true speed not kawasaki speed came up very, very fast . If it had higher gearing it would of pulled a higher top speed very easy. This was done on a dirt road with me standing on the pegs in a low crouch, if you know what i mean. Cheers Peter
Gday JHP i have broken my phone, so i can't even post pics now. I just did a 300klm dirt / tar ride today. It is ok to ride, i don't think the vibes are that bad. The foot pegs is where i feel it, all i do is move my feet around a little bit. It's a trade off power or smooth, it just depends on what you want. I went for power because i don't think a klr with a CB is that smooth anyway. If you want smooth go for a twin, want fun go for a thumper, and enjoy the vibes it's all part of what makes riding a thumper fun. Cheers Peter

Not saying it is the right thing to do. I am just absolutely fascinated. I have been wanting to weld for decades. I love that he put on a KLR600 subframe.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Yeah, I strongly suspect he never did try to balance it. ......and you know how accurate butt dyno's are but his mods couldn't really increase HP though the engine would rev quicker; any actual power increase would solely be due to the reduced friction of the CB chain and shaft bearings - very minor.

......but that headlight though! LOL

Dave

·
Registered
474 Posts
You can certainly deactivate the balancers, but you cannot compensate by adding weight to the crankshaft wheels. The old British singles vibrated like crazy because they didn't have counter balancers, which cancel out the fore and aft forces. A KLR without counter balancers is simnilar to the old British singles, which is not good.

You're swatting at an empty piñata by deactivating the counter balancers.

Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts