Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local dealer has a brand new 2013 KLR priced at $4995 with tax doc fees and license fees for a total of$5521. What do you guys think . Is that a good price or not? :13:

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I guess it would depend on where you are and what the local market is like. I don't think a 2015 would cost you that much more? Again though, it all depends on where you are...

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Seldom comment on these things; as 650Stew says above, MANY variables affect the calculus.

Economically, don't think things are particularly favorable. A 2013 incurs TWO YEARS of DEPRECIATION; never mind it has zero miles. Further, the 2013 does NOT possess the improved saddle, nor the much-improved SUSPENSION of the 2014-2015 New Edition; perhaps $ 1000 in improvements for $ 100 MSRP increase.

If the budget's tight, and an intense immediate need exists to straddle a KLR650, the deal's doubtless better than the initial outlay for a current production year brand new one. Value- and equity-wise? I doubt it.

I'd bet you can negotiate with the dealer; ask what his invoice cost is, and what "holdback" he received from Kawasaki. ("Holdback" is a refund provided dealers from manufacturers for models purchased in a model year.) If you get plausible figures, offer him that much to take it off the dealer's hands. Still, I'd say you're down at least two grand (probably more), in comparison with value/selling price of the 2015 "New Edition."

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think I bought this bike!

Not worried about depreciation, as I do not plan on selling it. I also like the colors better than most of the others. I am a happy camper. It is a great bike!

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Glad you like the bike!

Depreciation aside, you still lack the suspension and saddle of the New Edition, but . . . you can achieve the moral equivalent for about a $ 1000 or so more, if you ever want improvements approaching the new factory standards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts