Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a retired United States Marine that is enjoying my time bonding with my 9 year old son, and getting to know my 2013 KLR as well. This is all new to me, but I am falling in love with my KLR. That is when I am not losing the keys or committing other rookie mistakes. One of the Marine Corps Mantras, "To adapt and overcome" has really bit me in the ass this time. I lost the keys to my KLR and brought the helmet lock to a locksmith. They cut me a key after working on it for several days and stated they used a progressive program to figure out the ignition key. This did not work. I decided to bypass the ignition and got the bike to turn over, but there seems to be no spark. I am now to the point where I have all fairings removed including the front headlight fairing and need to wire this the correct way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi!

James Foley

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome! Type in "Lost Keys" in the search community feature and you will soon feel relieved that you aren't the only one! This is a highly discussed topic and there should be something in those threads for you. Key blanks can be found on eBay, but they come in two separate types. I've recently seen the identifying codes for the blanks on a thread. Just when you've read every thread about why the helmet lock thing won't work, you can go to Tom's Souperdoo site and find out everything there is to know about KLR keys, locksmith codes and that ignition switch! He seems kinda mental, but the information is very useful...;)

The bypassing of the actual switch is a whole different puzzle! You will need the Clymer schematic (mine is a Gen 1). Tom's site probably has pics. I start my Jeep Cherokee with an oyster knife, so gutting the lock is an option! This is where another welcoming member will chime in. - Scott

·
Registered
121 Posts
James, first off thank you very much for your service to the country. Hopefully, there are enough level headed folks to show up and vote and get this current madness under control. 1. try seaching "key blanks" in the search bar above - search community. One on the results is blanks on ebay. not sure if worthwhile or not. your bike runs fine - right? so whatever your attempt at bypassing ignition is, maybe grounding out something that should not be grounded. some sparky type on the list will correct me I am sure. Look at a thread titled "CDI ignition" and there are a bunch of electrical brainiacs who can advise - Domacles, Uncle Dick, others. good luck, Line6distortion

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! Type in "Lost Keys" in the search community feature and you will soon feel relieved that you aren't the only one! This is a highly discussed topic and there should be something in those threads for you. Key blanks can be found on eBay, but they come in two separate types. I've recently seen the identifying codes for the blanks on a thread. Just when you've read every thread about why the helmet lock thing won't work, you can go to Tom's Souperdoo site and find out everything there is to know about KLR keys, locksmith codes and that ignition switch! He seems kinda mental, but the information is very useful...;)

The bypassing of the actual switch is a whole different puzzle! You will need the Clymer schematic (mine is a Gen 1). Tom's site probably has pics. I start my Jeep Cherokee with an oyster knife, so gutting the lock is an option! This is where another welcoming member will chime in. - Scott
Will do. Thanks Scott!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
James, first off thank you very much for your service to the country. Hopefully, there are enough level headed folks to show up and vote and get this current madness under control. 1. try seaching "key blanks" in the search bar above - search community. One on the results is blanks on ebay. not sure if worthwhile or not. your bike runs fine - right? so whatever your attempt at bypassing ignition is, maybe grounding out something that should not be grounded. some sparky type on the list will correct me I am sure. Look at a thread titled "CDI ignition" and there are a bunch of electrical brainiacs who can advise - Domacles, Uncle Dick, others. good luck, Line6distortion
Thank you Line 6. I want to knock this out today. I'm starting to feel like an ostrich with it's head in the sand!

James

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Did you buy the bike new? If not did the previous owner give you a manual or paperwork that the key code could be written on? If not, you can always try to find a used ignition switch on fleabay.

There’s one complete with key on fleabay. Type in item number 202670048332.

Dick

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Read this: Post Page

You can't hotwire it because of the 100 Ohm resistor. You will have to add that into your hot wiring regimen.

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Yes, it is. It is specifically to make hotwiring more difficult. It is a common strategy and not exactly a secret. It is well known to track riders who want to modify electrical systems down to the bare minimum and have only a start switch on an always-hot system.

It may not be well known amongst the thieves, for they read not nor do they research their intended targets. The cruder among them simply jam a screwdriver into the lock and twist it to shear the lock. The more advanced of the species hunt in packs and work together to hoik the bike into a van and take it to a chop shop where nerd-thieves dissect them.

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
They are the worst.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the insight. I’m used to Murphy f*ng with us in the Corps. But I thought that would all go away as an a civilian, shiiiiiaaaaaaat , I tried drilling out the ignition after two locksmiths failed to cut a key that worked. Furthermore, I just started a job 10x’s harder than any job a had in the Marines; stay at home dad. My hat really goes off to the ladies that hold the fort down and make it look easy. Maybe I should ask my wife to fix the bike...lol. So how do you incorporate the the ohm? resistor into the wiring? I appreciate the comments and have no ego in this new hobby, so speak freely. I won’t get offended.
James

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
My best suggestion for the best solution is to either purchase a new or used 3 Lock Set. #27048-5160

From a crashed Gen 2 bike you would need the ignition switch (With at least 1 key. :) ), gas cap assembly, helmet lock and 2 new ignition switch mounting bolts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts