Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden for some time now wearing an armored leather jacket, armored leather gloves, a full face helmet, armored motorcycle boots...and kevlar long johns under my pants. I have rationalized this many ways, but I think I'm done rationalizing. So, I'm looking for a pair of good quality overpants (preferably not leather) with good abrasion resistance and hip/knee armor minimum. I've looked at some, but thought maybe I'd throw the question out there.

Criteria (in order of importance):

1) Protection (Armor, skid protection)
2) Waterproof
3) Easy to take on and off over work pants
4) Not too pricey
5) Simple looking (black would be nice...I have more than enough reflective tape on my bike).

Thanks for any advice.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
990 Posts
Firstgear HT for me too. I pay whatever Cycle Gear wants for them due to their return for any reason policy...I'm on a new free pair right now. The stiching was coming apart and I had a big tear on one leg. Free.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Firstgear HT for me too. I pay whatever Cycle Gear wants for them due to their return for any reason policy...I'm on a new free pair right now. The stiching was coming apart and I had a big tear on one leg. Free.

You should try keeping the bike upright to avoid big tears......

:character00271:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I sell the tourmaster caliber pants and that is the exact pants that I wear. That price is good too. Great pants with removable liner and armor. Where in San Fran are you? I'm in the east bay

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, cause I just placed my order. New Enough has always done me right.

We live in Saualito now...where in the east bay?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Livermore

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. If you make it out my way give me a holler and I'll buy you a beer. Or if I'm headed to the east bay, maybe I can buy you a beer there.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sounds good. Ride safe.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In case anyone is in the market, these pants are awesome. Well made. The knee armor is super adjustable. I couldn't be happier. Unless there had been money in the pocket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Overpants

lockjaw
I wear the same gear I rode with on my FJR1300&MyGL1800It's pricey but my skin is'nt, it's called Cycleport made of Kevlar Weave lots ofpadding in the right areas knees,thighs aqnd the jacket, shoulders, elbows,back,ribs look'm up on the web can order to your size, will make them to your measurements I found mine on the rack in Park Cit Ut at the FJR ralley in 07 pants come with a liner for rain or cold as the suit is mesh for air flo in summer jacket comes with dry liner and thin warm liner as well. I use my Gerbing when its cold just plug in and instance warmth the suit is 1,000.00 or was when I got mine. See you around
roger:23a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Roger, but I got the pants so I am kitted out now. And I wear kevlar longjohns usually from dragginjeans under my pants.

·
Registered
5 Posts
overpants

:)lockjaw
After I posted I saw you had already bought some,I used to wear chaps but after going down in a slow slide I woke up to better gear but bstill cant get my wife away from chaps. But you know the old addage, THERE THOSE WHO HAVE GONE DOWN AND THERE THOSE THAT WILL AT SOME POINT.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very True

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use a pair of Aerostitch Dakar Lights. They zip all the way up each leg for easy on, and have removable knee inserts. I have a set of their suspenders for them also.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
:)lockjaw
After I posted I saw you had already bought some,I used to wear chaps but after going down in a slow slide I woke up to better gear but bstill cant get my wife away from chaps. But you know the old addage, THERE THOSE WHO HAVE GONE DOWN AND THERE THOSE THAT WILL AT SOME POINT.
I recently crash tested my pants. Show this pic to your wife. I slid on my left butt cheek for about 30 or 40 feet. I didn't even have a mark on my jeans but you can see what my Fist Gear HT pants look like. I wore through the outer shell, the water membrane, and the insulated liner. All I can say is I'm glad it wasn't my flesh.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn. Glad you're Ok.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What happened?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts