Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- hopefully the right place to post this?

I don't have the room/tools/experience to do my own work just yet, but I do need a bit of work done on my (just bought!) KLR. Just curious if anyone knows of a shop/mechanic they'd trust for good work and reasonable prices in the area of Sherman Oaks (northern LA area) ?

In desperation (big trip in 2 days), I've dropped it off at a shop to swap the tires and do some other stuff- the guy seems alright, but charging $40 per each tire, for labor! Am I wrong, or is that crazy? Ha... I also gave him my Thermo-bob kit to install, will probably not like the cost of that at all...sigh. No better option for the moment though :(

Thanks for any advice!

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
You could have waited with the Thermo-bob kit. Has the guy installed them before or at least have the directions?? I watched a so-called mechanic install one once. He made it so difficult for himself because it wouldn't follow Wattman's simple directions. He was the mechanic and knew it all. I had to walk away.

Tire install at $40 each seems high. Did you buy the tires there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I probably could have waited, actually. Lack of patience killing me (or, my wallet).

Bought the tires there, yep. Probably the last time I go to this guy's shop. I originally went because he's one of the few I've seen who kept a really clean, organized, well-stocked shop, figured that spoke good things for his work ethic. Pricey though...oi.

Jumped on the thermo-bob mainly because the engine really, really felt hot. Hoped it would even things out, less chance to build up damage over the miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, he does have the directions. He took a look and asked if it came with some (that's good), and I gave him the stack of printed papers I had made, heh. He didn't seem offended/etc by that (I've seen the same issue you mentioned), so I have hope it'll at least be done right.

But mainly, $40/tire seems outrageous, heh. Especially when bought in-shop. I can't really complain, as I should have done better research, but I'd like to find something better for the future :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked up the bike, not really noticing a difference, heh. Was hoping the temp would hold lower, still moves to about 3/4 and holds there. HUGE amount of heat seems to be coming out of this thing, compared to my previous bike (Honda Magna).

Mechanic did point out that the knocking noise this thing makes could be a problem. I had (optimistically) just assumed "eh, big 'ol thumper makes some funky noises". Only happens at idle and up to maybe 3K RPM, also. Otherwise, seems fine? Should I worry?

2400 mile trip starts tomorrow 6am. Suddenly considering canceling it. But, eh, it made it 1200 miles down from Seattle when I bought it...maybe I'm just worrying too much now?

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I might get charged $40 for a tire install if I bring in a tire from elsewhere. If you purchase in the same shop they should give you a break. When you bought the tires you should have bargained install into the price.

On your temperature. Doesn't sound right to me. Are you sure the fan is coming on? My temp gauge with a Thermo-Bob sits just short of the centre of the gauge, on the cold side, when it's fully warmed up. Rode today and it is around 90F here today. Is your coolant level correct and the rad clean?

On the knocking sound - have you adjusted the Doohickey?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that was my thought. I'm not a good bargainer/etc, though, heh. At that price, I almost did, but I figured "eh, it's just LA prices" and didn't want to offend.

Temp: Fan does come on, though still not until it's up fairly high. I'll double-check the coolant level tonight, when I change the oil, can't say at the moment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts