Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Google Maps to Garmin

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  rain_man_rich 
#1 · (Edited)
I love making maps on Google Maps and have many of them and would like to learn how to convert the files and upload them to my Garmin zumo 550.

While Google searching for a resolution I found something that sounded and was almost the ultimate answer. Harley Davidson Rider Planner...
http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US ... all was well until Garmin changed the route when teh file was exported to the GPS. Bummer.

So who has the knowledge and know how to convert the map files and export them to a GPS? Oh, and wants to share this information.

Thanks in advance.

edit: here is a map that I would like to convert and export.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=McCall+ID&daddr=59888+Wallowa+Lake+Highway,+Joseph,+OR+97846-8337+(Park+At+the+River)+to:Enterprise,+OR&geocode=FZ5JrQIdUHkU-Smhm5cw5lmmVDE2ijHgYBe1Yw%3BFb_gsgIdcYYD-SHm4tY2NJgpwSmV9tCTOQ-kVDFOLH4pWiS8ng%3BFVYmtQIdw3cC-Sl5ZXsmifmjVDE7KDNk5Tzy6Q&hl=en&mra=pd&sll=45.153698,-116.667774&sspn=0.79994,1.947327&ie=UTF8&ll=45.007535,-116.559448&spn=1.603931,3.894653&z=8

See less See more
#2 ·
I love making maps on Google Maps and have many of them and would like to learn how to convert the files and upload them to my Garmin zumo 550...

So who has the knowledge and know how to convert the map files and export them to a GPS? Oh, and wants to share this information...

Poke around on the GPS forum on ADV

#3 ·
Tim,
Go to bevhoward dot com/G2WPT.htm (sorry, I can't post URLs because my post count is too low) and install the GMap2GPX shortcut/script to your browser's shortcut bar. Then, go the the map link you posted, and while on that page click the new GMap2GPX shortcut. This will open a browser page with XML data in a window, with different options for "full," "points" and "track." I use track as it gives all points throughout the entire route you've mapped.

Then, copy all the XML in the window and paste it into a text document (if you're on a PC you can use Notepad, TextEdit on a Mac). Save it as yourfilename.gpx and open it in Garmin MapSource (BaseCamp on a Mac). You should see the route. You can now export that to your GPS.

The only thing with Garmins is that some (like my 60CSx), limits track points to a maximum of 500. That means you either have to filter the points down (lower resolution/less exact) or cut that XML file up into multiple tracks, which is a bit more involved.

Give it a shot. It's easier than it sounds!

-Jason

#4 ·
tomatocity -

If you append “&output=kml" to your url when it is in the google maps url bar it will output a .kml file to your computer. You can then convert the .kml to a .gpx and upload it to your Zumo.

Converting .kml to .gpx is not to tough. There are a bunch of converter sites and softwares (some free, some not) out there.

T

The problem I have had with a lot of conversion schemes is that the gps will often want to re-calculate the route. Not so much of a problem if there are no alternate routes, but something to beware of.

#5 ·
I used that method to create the attached .kml file, then used KML2GPX to convert it to the attached .gpx file.

A couple of minutes start to finish, but you'll need to ope the .gpx file to see if it worked - I have a new laptop and haven't got all my GPS stuff loaded and working.

T

Oh, poop and fiddle - can't attach those sorts of files. I'll e-mail them to you.

#6 ·
JBlack and Tom,

Thank you very much. This is what I am looking for.

If anyone else has other methods, please share. I am sure we need a GPS forum at KLRforum and this could be a beginning.

JBlack, dividing the routes is not a problem and they could be named sequentially.

Tom, if I bring my computer to dinner tomorrow evening maybe we can do a training session to convert some maps.

Thanks again.

#8 ·
Nope, its an HP Pavilion dm1-3020us, 11.6" display, wi-fi, bluetooth, hdmi, 3GB memory (wannabe 4GB), Li-ion battery... yada yada yada. It is half the size and weight of my 16" display HP Pavilion dv6.

#9 ·
The .gpx file loads into Mapsource as a set of waypoints, at least on that sample. More work may be required, or it may be a fluke.

T

#12 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.