Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Got hammered at the shop, Ouch!

13K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  AlvinTostig 
#1 ·
Took my '05 in for its 12,000 mile service and valve check and, along with the cost of a new front tire and a fan motor, it was to have cost me around $400.

The guy called me this morning to tell me all of what needed to be done (because I told him to have the mechanic do a thorough job) and he prefaced his comments with "Are you sitting down?" and then informed me that the bill would come out to (are YOU sitting down?:() $1,550!!:confused::46:

I nearly went into cardiac arrest ... as he went on to explain that the rinkydink fan motor was a few dimes less than $400! I can't figure out how something as simple and so void of substance can cost THAT much, unless it's due to the clever fellows at Kawasaki deliberately putting in a component they knew would likely fail sometime past the warrantee expiring, hence, they could then charge whatever ridiculous price they wanted, as they knew they'd have owners over a barrel.:character00268:

The cost for all the rest of the parts and oil and such, along with labor, rounded out the rest of the costs. What a deal.

Oh, forgot, they also said the clutch plates were in serious need of being replaced. That seemed odd to me because I wasn't having any problem with it. But, I called another Kaw shop and bounced this stuff off a service guy there and he made the point that with the clutch one can get used to it slowly going bad while thinking all is fine. He also told me that the fan motor does indeed cost that much but that I should find out if he tested the motor (with an easy test) and that it could in fact be an $89 part involving a simple switch mechanism that opens and shuts at various temperatures.

I put the Thermo-Bob's (outside thermostat) on it myself a year or so ago and that's when the temp gauge stopped working, or rather, the fan stopped working. I was told it could be just a coincidence, don't know.

I must say that I don't actually believe that these folks are scamming me because I've done business with them before and never had reason to distrust them, but considering what's going on with the economy one can't help but wonder.:33a:

Anyway, my bike should be in good shape soon and I look forward to putting some miles on it this summer, though I doubt I could ever again recommend one of these "tough as a can-opener" bikes to anyone inquiring, sad to say.:(

Anyone else have a similar horror story they'd like to share (as misery loves company)?:35a:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hammered

Well that really sucks. Too late maybe but I always tell any service department that any fees over the initial estimate will not be paid unless they get my approval. Well you have your bike back (hopefully) and it is the time to ride.

Yet another reason to do your own wrenching.

#11 ·
Well that really sucks. Too late maybe but I always tell any service department that any fees over the initial estimate will not be paid unless they get my approval. Well you have your bike back (hopefully) and it is the time to ride.

Yet another reason to do your own wrenching.
Actually the service guy did call me to inform me of what the new cost would be. Thanks for your comment.:)

#3 · (Edited)
Wow! That was pricey! Though with the current labor rates at shops (at least here in Canada) I'm not really surprised. He should have called you before doing the work though, especially as he almost quadrupled the original estimate! As the other fellow said, all the more reason to do your own wrenching. If I was going to replace a high dollar part like that I would be inclined to try to find one on ebay or something, lot's of guys parting out bikes. The prices aren't KLR specific though, all Japanese bike parts are pricey. Hope she runs great for you now and you get lots of riding time!

#4 · (Edited)
Testing the fan motor is easy; ground the lead to the fan switch in the radiator. Fan oughta turn; if not--check fan fuse, fan relay. Final test: 12 VDC across fan electrical terminals.

Further, a defective fan switch (thermally-actuated gizmo in the radiator) can be responsible for inoperative fan.

Clutch plates? Most robust, typically, on KLR650's. Unless you've slipped the clutch excessively, I'd be surprised if replacement is warranted. If the clutch disengaged and engaged smoothly, and did not slip when fully engaged and under load, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Yet, without examination, hard to say whether the repairs/replacements were justified or not.

Labor rate hereabouts (northern Virginia) are about $ 100/shop hour; doesn't take long to run up a sizeable bill.

Given the scenario related, I see no choice other than "eating" the bill. Next time, you might ask for the shop to hold off pending your approval of operations, and . . . some self-examination and diagnosis may be useful.

And, next time, you might consult the website FIRST!

#13 ·
Yeah; I'll eat it this time but look for another place to do business in the future. I must say though that the one fellow at another Kaw shop did say that these clutch plates can and do sometimes go out at the miles I have on my bike. One thing I wonder a little about is that the service fellow that processed the work-order is a fellow that I'd thought I'd had a good repore (sp?) with, yet, I did ask him shortly after I dropped the bike off a question about the car dealerships in the area and which one had the best reputation. So maybe I made a mistake there as he might have thought "well, the guy has dough for a car so that means we can rake him over the barrel!":(

Btw, I never beat my bike so that in my mind makes it even less likely about the clutch plates going out.

#5 ·
Took my '05 in for its 12,000 mile service and valve check and, along with the cost of a new front tire and a fan motor, it was to have cost me around $400.

Not dogging on you...

For <$400 you can get all the tools, supplies, manuals, etc. and do the work yourself. The KLR is a simple machine and an ideal introduction to DIY maintenance.

The KLR community is great for helping each other out. There are tech days and plenty of knowledgeable people right here.

Do your own work. Be nice to know the truth about you bike wouldn't it?

#6 ·
Sad to say but this is a owner knowing nothing about his bike and not doing any resreach threw any foruims.
I have not seen a a KLR yet that can not be repaired by a owner that has the simpless of mech skills. It's just a matter of asking your fellow riders on a foruim like this for help. I think you would find a member near by that would be glad to take a look at it for you or give you a hand.

The dealer saw you coming...it is what it is..! Maybe by the next time you will have schooled yourself on these bikes a bit and save yourself alot of money.

In this case it's owner not bike !:46:

#15 ·
That's not a very kind thing to say.:46:

I lost my job on the 4th that I had for nearly 18 years due to the company outsourcing it to desperate people that will do the work for a lot less. For that reason I have a lot of things going on and, as I said in my opening post, I've done business with these people before and had no issues with them.

#7 ·
Tell the shop that you want your old parts back - the fan motor and clutch plates. You are entitled by law to have them returned to you, since there is no "core" involved. (If there was a core, you would still be entitled to inspect the old parts).

The fan motor can be tested quite simply, and a visual inspection of the clutch plates would tell the tale as to the integrity of the shop.

If you have evidence that the shop performed un-needed replacement of parts, you would have a very good chance of getting the majority of your money refunded. A letter and phone call to your Attorney General's office, and your local consumer protection / better business bureau could help - a lot of the time just the threat of such action can cause a shady service department to fold their hand and refund some money. Contact Kawasaki if you do find anything fraudulent - all manufacturers have agreements with their independant dealers mandating proper and ethical service guidelines.

I would have a very, very hard time not calling BS on a worn out wet clutch at 12k miles unless the motorcycle had been extraordinarily abused and neglected.

#8 ·
I have to agree.
How did they figure that the clutch was bad?? Did they pull the clutch cover and look at the fibers and rings??

Really looks like a case of not kissing you as they bend you over at the dearlship....you being a nice gent and all.

Understand I'm not being rude here, well maybe, but dealers like nice guys like yourself. Your a easy mark!

#9 ·
Thinking it over . . . can't comment on the fan motor, without the opportunity to test or to inspect; curious that a PM DC motor would wear out after 12,000 miles; especially considering the fan rarely runs in most service life scenarios, but . . . could be.

The clutch, however, presents another consideration. As owner, you experienced no problem; and--clutch didn't slip under load when engaged. How could a mechanic somehow divine the clutch plates are SHREDDED?????????

Without symptoms of clutch failure, he took off the clutch case cover and inspected the clutch? That's a flat-rate shop hour or more, right there (plus gasket, etc.).

While possibly even a robust, hearty wet clutch like the KLR's could be shot in 12,000 miles, how would you tell, without symptoms?

The diagnoses and repairs appear fishy to me; I'd be most careful authorizing that shop any future work.

#10 ·
Its unfortunate, but in todays world, businesses are in a fight for survival, and integrity can be one of the first and greatest casualties.

Welcome aboard, I hope you find open mindedness and support in what you need for you and your ride here. Maybe with some new information and good moral backup, your need for dealer services can be trimmed down quite a bit.

Repairs and Maintenance 101, School of Hard Knocks.

I hope you being here turns it into a short course.

#20 ·
The bike will sometimes jerk a little. It seems to be a characteristic of the bike. Tell them you want the old parts. Rather than doing something in revenge, the shop is more likely to think you are going to hold them accountable. They are more likely not to screw with you. If they are aboveboard, then they will give you the parts. Do they really service enough KLRs that they have access to some old parts that they are saving? After all, it is easy enough to find out if the part was the right one for your bike. You may feel that you are being razzed a bit, and maybe you are, but you always should give thought to protecting yourself first. I have to wonder, you lost your job, yet you are buying a brand new car...... If you have the money and don't care, then by all means do what you are currently doing. If you want to save money, use the car port and work on the bike. It is a single cylinder bike with one carb.
Regardless, I wish you well. Just realize that you spent 25% of bike's worth on it at one time. If that fan is bad, bet I can find an alternative to a $400 part. You state the temp gauge failed when you did the thermobob. Hmmm....wiring??? Maybe the fan has not fun since you installed the thermobob.

#26 ·
Thanks!

It's true that these bikes jerk often when they're cold, but I had just completed a 35 mile ride so Methinks it probably shouldn't have jerked the way it did.

I don't know, in some ways I wonder if there are mystical forces at work when I bring my bike to this place. Because the last time they did some work on it, I got on it and went down the street and it died and I pushed it back only to have the mechanic come out and start it up with no problem. It was strange because I did nothing wrong; the gas was on and the kill switch was where it needed to be, yet it did what it did and I felt like a sh*t as a result.:confused:

As far as my new car goes, I did what all "experts" (that don't know the particulars of my life) say one shouldn't do and cashed out my 401(k). So I have some dough coming my way ... .:11a:

#23 · (Edited)
Alvin,
We all at one point have to deal with a shop at some point in time.....we also get screwed once, shame on them. Second time shame on you!

Really sounds to me you need to learn your bike and it's habits, Each bike no matter what kind, make and model are different.

Do some reading here and what you don't understand...ask! The dumb question is the one you don't ask.

With your being out of a job, this would be the first place I would ask to help figure out a problem before spending that kind of money.

I'll bet there was nothing wrong with the clutch pack that a clutch adjust would not have taken care of.
The clutch jerking happens on most bikes....nature of the beast.

Needless to I would bet there was nothing wrong with the rad. fan eighter

Little hard on ya, yah maybe, some folks need a kick in the pants to reset the brain pan.

My pet peeve, your on a foruim with all this help sitting here and off spending big money on repairs that probly where not needed. To be honest, I wish I was near by to have been able to help you out.

Kurt

#28 ·
Hey, I wish you guys were all here where I am, too. I would have bought a slew of beer and pizza and thanked you folks profusely for sparing me the agony I find myself in.:15:

What's that quote from that Greek shipping tycoon? "If you're going to be raped you might as well enjoy it."

I'm trying hard to enjoy it the best I can, but it helps to hold hands with other kind folks as I'm being worked over real, real good like this for the first time ever.:(

#24 ·
BTW: fill out your profile so we can see where your located. I'll bet there is a member of this foruim just down the block from you..

You will find that most of us that are near each other are willing to come over and help find a problem.

Kurt

#31 ·
Alvin, Reno huh....The guys here in Sac. Ca and I go up and ride the desert around Moon rock all the time.
Got some folks up there right now for the weekend.

Cashed out your 401K. If it where me i would find the exit door out of Reno, that place will find a way to lay claim to it...lol

Little info for ya:

1). Up right your bike straight up and down and check your oil in the little window on the lower right side of the motor.
DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU GO OUT FOR A RIDE>>>!!!!!!!
Some KLR's loose a little oil after a 400-600 mile of riding. Its just something a KLR does.....on some KLR's!

2). Do the "Doo Hickey"..!!! If you don't know if it has been done then it needs to be change right away...no waiting.
In your book you will find you bike has two timing chains. One for the cam shaft's and the other is for the counter wieght. The counter wieght has the little spring lever assem. that needs to be replaced.
Eagle Mike sells them for 40.00 It takes about a hour to put one in, if you have the rotor puller and tools.

SEARCH: DOO HICKEY here in the foruim you will get more info on it.

KLR's are the trackor of the enduro's, but it does have a couple of minor tweeks that need to be done when you get one.

There's a ton of thing's you can do to the bike without spending a money on her to make it run better...as you starting to learn.

You can allways bring her down (out of your sand box) and I'll do the Doo with ya, you buy the soda I don't drink.

Kurt

#33 ·
I had the doo done by the shop that's working on the bike now taken care of it a good year or more ago.

I don't check the oil window every day but my bike has been good about being easy on oil.

I bought some engine and tank guards for her recently and am glad I didn't have the shop put them on, as I'm sure to do that little job would have added another $200 to the bill.:character00271:

If I had the motivation, I'd like to allow some time to pass and then arrange to have someone bring a motorcycle into that place that's been looked at carefully and find some little reason to have them work on it and "take care of everything else that needs to be taken care of" and then see if they're legit.

I wish I felt the KLR is as bullet-proof as I used to, but my head light had gone out and there had been times when it just died for no reason and now this latest stuff. Oh well, life is short.....:(

#35 ·
I gotta agree with everyone here has told you. I learned at 13 to work on my XR75 by just tearing it apart, a manual and my grandpas tools. It took some time, but it went back together and actually ran for many years after, my mom sold it when I was in the Army 9 years later.

There is no education better than just doing. I have not had a car, appliance, or motorcycle in a shop since I was 13. I learned everything I know on my own, no dad to teach me mechanical skills. Lots of wrench throwing, cussing, help from friends and strangers. Sometimes we surprise ourselves by what we can do, I just roofed my house, with no experience, just a friend and I bought the beer. My point being there are far too many resources available to you today to have to go to a mechanic, you have an almost unlimited resource right here. For a fraction of what you paid the shop you could have found someone here or the many other forums to help you. The motorcycle community is a very close knit group, the KLR community, even closer, good people ride KLR's I have found.

Sorry i am not ripping you, even if it sounds like I am, I am just saying there are many who are avaible to help, and you have many options aside from a dealer's shop. I have found if you ask, the KLR community come to your aid, some will surprise you with their generosity, good folks.

#38 ·
AT,
Hind sight is 20-20…. Every one of us has felt like we were hosed at one point or another. The fact of the matter is, “The work that you had done on your KLR was worth all of the $1500.00”. What makes this painful is not the fact that the shop is charging what they should be charging, it’s the fact that many of the people on this KLR site have the ability to fix or guild you threw fixing the bike yourself for ¼ of the money. I am sure the shop that did the work is good people, and I am sure that they did an outstanding job…. In the future, ask some questions about the job at hand here on the KLR site. Then you will know what you are getting into.

As far as the clutch is concerned…. Just keep riding the bike, You will know in you own mind when something dose not feel right… then it will be time to change it…. That could be 6 years from now…
Jake

#40 ·
Thanks for the comments! It's great that so many folks around here are so generous as they are, it restores one's faith in the human race to see such decency.:)

I'll go in and pick the bike up maybe at the end of this week and hopefully talk to the guy and try and get a sense of the kind of person he is. When I brought it in the chain had faint rust on it even though I did an okay job of keeping it lubed. (I ride it all year and it sits under a carport.) But it'll be telling if when I pick it up if it's all nice and clean, as then I'll at least have some indication that he did in fact *thoroughly* go over it, per my request.:character00286:

#45 · (Edited)
*I am not too far away in Elko, NV as are some posters in Sacramento. I would be happy to help you next time! You can always PM me for my cell number.
Bert*

You're just saying that because you want free beer and pizza out of me, shame on you! That you would actually think that just because you'd be willing to ride 288 miles (one way!!:confused::46:) to take advantage of me like that is despicable!:50:

Alright, alright; I'll try and be serious here for a moment (while I wake up and shake off that sleep aid I took last night) ... your generous(!) offer didn't fall on deaf ears. I sincerely do thank ya for it!!:)

And the same to you, by the way; if there's anything I can do ... let me know, my Friend. I don't claim to have the wherewithal of Bill Gates or the intellect of Isaac Newton, but I do strive to treat people the way I wanna be treated, especially when those I'm involved with are of the same decent mentality :animal0019:

It's cool as heck that you're way up there in beautiful Elko! It just so happens that I bought a new 2010 Ford Focus yesterday so that I can drive up there and see if one of those mining outfits will give this old boy a job. I heard they pay well but I don't know if they'd even look at me considering they got all those strong young bucks that I'm sure could run circles around me.:28:

Well, getting back to the bike ... either this week or early next week I'll be picking up my bike from the shop. I'm a-gonna suck it up like a man and just be friendly to 'em as they in all likelihood didn't do anything unprincipled considering that in the past they were fair and square, I think.:46:

I will for sure keep your offer in mind in the event more work needs to be done on her. Again, Thanks!!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.