Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the parts but the tools I borrowed from a long distance friend have not showed up yet. I forgot to order the rotor bolt so what's the consensus on using the old one? (knowing this is about the same as oil and tires in agreement)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I forgot to order the rotor bolt so what's the consensus on using the old one? (knowing this is about the same as oil and tires in agreement)
i'd order one while you're waiting, the rotor bolt is a one time use bolt

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Let me ask you this. What are you going to do when you re-torque the old bolt to 135# and it snaps in the end of the crank???

I'll tell ya - put a gun to your head.

Get a new one. There will be people that will say it's reusable but you are taking your chances. Not worth the $12 of a bolt.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
My opinion only but 135 ft. lbs. of torque to THIS bolt is far beyond the yield of it. (The point it can't spring back, or return from it's original lenght from it's own elasticity). The real holding power of the rotor to the shaft is in the taper of the fit, and it's keyseat. The reason why you must use a puller to remove it after the bolt is loosened /removed anyway.

The question is whether you are buying or selling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't seen what size or hardness this bolt is yet so I don't know what kind of torque it can take. I'll check with the dealer if they have 1 in stock. Guess I could wait another week to do it if not. I can also check if it has stretched or not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the tools in the mail today and got 'er done, almost. My cheap 1/2" torque wrench I have at home I don't trust for much and my 3/8 only goes to 75 lbft. so I'll have to bring my good one home from work to torque the rotor bolt. Not a bad job except for getting that @#$%& torsion spring hooked.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I reuse the bolt if it still threads in all the way by hand and looks in great shape. If it doesn't thread in it's stretched and thus junk now, buy a new one. Or if it looks old and tired, yes I have seen plenty that have looked this way, buy a new one. If it has marks on it where some fool has tried to use some other tool other than a good fitting tool or allowed it to slip off and damaged the head, buy a new one.

I have used my own up to half a dozen times without any issues and on the 7th time it wouldn't thread in easily, bought a new one.

It's a cheap item and if it gives you a better night's sleep change it. Your bike your call. But if I didn't have a new one and yours looked great I would reuse it. I tell all my customers the same thing and let them decide or if I'm working on it and they are not here and it looks questionable I install a new one and swallow the cost if they think they didn't need it. Hasn't happened yet but if it did I would cover it just so I am not on the hook for possible issues in the future.
The customer is always right. As the saying goes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I reused my old bolt. The way to check if a bolt has stretched is to mic it at the end of the threads and again at the top of the threads close to the shank. If it is .003 to .005" smaller close to the shank it has stretched, if not it is as good as new, mine was OK. It wasn't all that tight either, my impact backed it right out without even rattling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts