Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
I've see one Gen 2 melted even Worse than that, from being left running on Full Cold Start Enrichener for WAY TOO LONG in that owners driveway in the winter time. Not even a breeze stirring.
The owner thought it would be a 'good idea' to run it awhile to stir the engine oil & charge the battery! Big OOPS!

The exhaust AIS on Gen 2's & Gen 3's creates a LOT of heat! Best to keep the bikes moving.

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
You better confirm that the lower nipple on the coolant reservoir has not heat collapsed till no hole inside to let the expanded hot coolant in & back out as the engine cools down.

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
AntonK asked, "I am curious PD - my understanding is that lean mixtures create excessive heat not rich...so how come the bike did all that melting with the choke on? "

The Exhaust AirInjectionSystem into the exhaust port from between the spark plug & ex cam area (on Gen 2 & 3 North American models only??) burns the overly rich fuel mixture in the header pipe, creating intense heat.

But even Gen 1's without AIS have been known to heat collapse the reservoir nipple closed.
Many owners have suggested that the factory may have even forgot to drill a hole thru the bottom nipple, which is possible.

So, I did a bit of research, and realised that Australian KLRs do not have one!
I'm totally surprised & you Australians are lucky, maybe!

Are the Gen 3 Australian KLR's still LearnerApprovedModels ?
If so, are they still tortoise slow & how?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts