Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the II Generation the problem with the doohickey is the spring is too long. The spring doesn't break or fall off, it's just too long to do the job. So when replacing the doohickey why even bother with it? Why not just pull the outer case, pull the rotor, replace the doohickey, do the torsion spring and button it up leaving the original spring and tightening lever as they are?

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
On the II Generation the problem with the doohickey is the spring is too long. The spring doesn't break or fall off, it's just too long to do the job. So when replacing the doohickey why even bother with it? Why not just pull the outer case, pull the rotor, replace the doohickey, do the torsion spring and button it up leaving the original spring and tightening lever as they are?
D C,
I haven't Personally seen an Old or New doo-hickey spring Broken or Fallen off.
But I have seen web pics of Both types of Failures, on Both Generations of KLRs.
If the original 'style' of spring is allowed to 'rest' in it's spot, It WILL eventually become disengaged from its L.H. end mounting post or Wear thru its R.H. end curl, on the original tightening lever. Then it WILL eventually find its way into Dangerous Territory.
This why the original style of spring needs to be replaced with a better Quality or better yet a Better Style, (Torsion Spring).

When I replace the original style of spring, with the Torsion Spring, I use a hacksaw to cut the 'elbow' Off of the original spring Lever. Which does require removal of all parts. This way the next Mechanic inside the L.H. side of the engine, for any reason can see it was purposely Removed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like your explaination, especially about hacksawing the lever end so the next one "in" doesn't spend time looking for the missing spring. Smart!

·
Registered
452 Posts
mine had broken right at the clip side then fell into chain grinding in half then falling into crank case .. I was lucky though as it had got stuck in a drainage hole in the case and was able to use a magnet to fish it out ..

on my 2012 I have taken it apart to check but its been spot on so far with about 30k on the clock now .but my 2000 had about 20k and it was hosed .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts