Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

GPS choice

13K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  TT120 
#1 ·
I searched acouple of the forums here but found mp topics on GPS's which I thought weird. Anyways, the only experiance i've had with a gps was with the one in a car i rented so my knowledge base is pretty small. But what I'm looking for is something geared more towards dirtroad and old logging road type stuff.
I'm not interested in color screen or a 'talking' unit, though it would be a bonus to have if i wanted to use it in the car on vacations. Are there maps available for the type of off-pavement terrain I enjoy and how much extra are the maps?

thanks

#29 ·
I have the Garmin Nuvi 550 - waterproof, has an off road feature and topo maps can be loaded for a fee (something I have not yet done). It will run on battery alone for 4 hours or so and is mounted securely with a RAM mount. Cost is $200.00 if you shop around. This is a versatile GPS that can be moved from bike to car and useful on a hike as well. The screen is very bright and legible.

#30 ·
Update to my previous comment on pg1.
Got my Nuvi550 for Christmas. Loaded my copy of U.S. Recreational Lakes and Fishing Hot Spots mapset.
Ordered a RAM mounting setup for my NX250. It has round handlebars, so I needed a RAM mount that would clamp to the bars.

Here’s my complete mount setup FWIW:
http://powers31.info/gpsmtg_GPSMAP60CSx.htm
click on the link at top of page. …. “ Link to Nuvi550 / RAM Mounting Assembly “

As we have about 24” of snow around here, I think I’ll wait a few weeks before trying it out on the NX250

#33 ·
Nuvi 500 here.

I like it just fine.

#34 ·
I just picked up a refurbished (looks like new, to me) Nuvi 500 for the KLR. About $190, shipped. (I've been running the Zumo 550 on my ST1300.) A third the price of my Zumo, and it does everything I need for the KLR. The Nuvi 500 comes with lower 48 and topo maps already loaded. It runs on 5 volts, so you'll need a specific cord to wire it direct.

#35 ·
I just ordered a Garmin 60Cx. I was looking at the 60CSx and the only difference was the compass and the barometric altimeter. I didn't need either of these so I went with the Cx cause it was 40 bux cheaper! (Does that make me a real KLRista?). I have a nuvi 205w for my truck and I thought about using it on the bike but it just doesn't feel robust enough for use on one of MY motorcycles. I'm pretty hard on my dirt bikes and I just dont think a nuvi could withstand my punishment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.