Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all you gps gurus out their, can you cut and splice the cord on a Garmin power cord? I just do not need the whole cord. I thought that it might be shielded or something. any replies are welcome.

Thanks
rwquiring

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Is this one that is connected to the battery?
I've shortened (and lengthened) GPS cables for my Garmin.. I've seen cables that use the shield as a ground... Not sure on what you might have, though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went to an electronics supply store, like The Source, and picked up a 12V female cigarette lighter adapter. I cut the end off, and wired it into the harness under the dash. That give me a 12v power source that I plug the Garmin power cord into and run the cord under the rubber door seal and under the dash. I bundle up the excess wire under the dash. Obviously, I did this in my car. No reason one can't do this on a bike. For my bike, I bought the appropriate power cable that wires to 12V directly.

Ken

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for not replying sooner but I did install a 12v. socket in the dash, and did shorten the cable on my power cord for the gps and the cable was not shielded so it worked out just great. Now I wish that the cold weather would go away so I could go ride. Thanks to all who responded.

Rwquiring

1 - 4 of 4 Posts