Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought I'd kick this one off, lets see your GPS and mount if you have one. Here's mine, a Garmon GPSIII plus, I fabed up the mount by adapting the car mount an bolting it to a mount I made at work. Works great, and no noticed vibrations either.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The cockpit.

Garmin 376. w/ XMradio. (thats what the round puck thing is). Touratech mount, hardwired in.
never had any trouble. Besides finding ear plugs that work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gunny:
What does that "Car" mount look like w/o the unit on it? What is that mount called? I don't undrestand how it would have been used in a vehicle.
Anything will help as I like it.
harley dog :a0019

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
basically it's a formed mount that snaps onto the bottom and top of the gps, with a retaining screw in the back "just in case" the way it mounts in the car would either be by a couple screws through pre drilled holes in the bottom, or by a velcro strip stuck to the bottom. Once you have it in place, a seperate screw on the side of the mount lets you adjust the gps up and down to help see it better. No idea what garmin calls the mount, other than "mount" . I'll get a couple pictures and post them if that will help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My gps handlebar mount is actually made by Garmin. Bought it for $16 shipped from ebay. I mounted my heated grip switch to the side of it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
buddy2224 said:
I'm packin a Garmin Quest on a RAM mount with the RAM Quest cradle.

Where did you buy your mount, and how much was it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got most of it at Bass Pro Shop. They had all the parts I needed except the cradle for the GPS itself. They were out of em. I had to order it online but I can't remember where I got it. I think the whole setup was about $36 or so.

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
GARMIN I-5

To all. Just got the COSTCO Jan. ad. They have the Garmin I-5 GPS on sale from Jan. 08 thru Jan. 28th. Regular $349.00 with an instant $100.00 off at the register. The stock number is #158578. Don't know if this is any kind of a deal or not as I don't personally have a GPS.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
KLRGunn said:
Paper said:
I have the same thing on my KLR. It was $40 from Aerostich and took only minutes to install.. Very solid, too

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/RAM-GPS-Mount-p-16674.html
Does this mount use the existing car ram mount with the 12 volt power cord?
No. It uses the Ram cradle as shown in the picture, so there's no power cord. The internal Quest battery is good for about 18 hours if you leave its lights off.
That's what I put on my KLR.
On my Strom, I used that same mount, but bought the motorcycle kit from Garmin. It's got a locking cradle and it powers the unit. It also has an earphone jack to hear directions if you want that.. It's another $50, on top of the price for the RAM clamp and stuff..

Since I use my KLR for shorter stuff, I've found the RAM without power just fine, and I've run it 16 hours on trips with no problem. The Strom is my "touring" bike, so the powered unit was a good fit..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks for the info Paper.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Paper said:
KLRGunn said:
Paper said:
I have the same thing on my KLR. It was $40 from Aerostich and took only minutes to install.. Very solid, too

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/RAM-GPS-Mount-p-16674.html
Does this mount use the existing car ram mount with the 12 volt power cord?
No. It uses the Ram cradle as shown in the picture, so there's no power cord. The internal Quest battery is good for about 18 hours if you leave its lights off.
That's what I put on my KLR.
On my Strom, I used that same mount, but bought the motorcycle kit from Garmin. It's got a locking cradle and it powers the unit. It also has an earphone jack to hear directions if you want that.. It's another $50, on top of the price for the RAM clamp and stuff..

Since I use my KLR for shorter stuff, I've found the RAM without power just fine, and I've run it 16 hours on trips with no problem. The Strom is my "touring" bike, so the powered unit was a good fit..
I took the power cord off the car cradle and put in on the Ram cradle. It'll bolt right up. You just have to find a torx bit small enough to do it. Then all you have to have is a 12 volt outlet to plug it into and you can have it powered off the bike. Makes it nice being able to run with the backlight on because it's easier to see the screen in the sunlight.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I will have to look at it a little closer. Don't recall seeing any torx, Thanks.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's there. IIRC it is a torx. It holds the power cable to the Garmin car cradle and the Ram cradle has the little hole for it to go into, so it is a direct swap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GPS/mounts

Here's my Garmin V on a TourTech mount. Rigged a plug from Radio Shack (just above the temp gauge) so I can run the GPS directly off the bike w/o the batteries.

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
My new GPS

Today was my first ride with a GPS.This is a great tool for KLR riders like me who prefer backroads. Being able to skirt around towns and more populated areas makes the ride even more enjoyable. Don't know why I didn't buy one when I bought the bike last spring.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts