Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a couple of questions for you all. Want to mount a GPS on my bike. I've read some people use the aux wires that are in the fairing to wire the GPS directly.
1. Is this wire already fused?
2. Although I want to hard wire it directly I'd like to add some kind of quick disconnect so I can remove it when parked at work or somewhere. Anybody use SAE connectors? Any other suggestions?
I'd think it needs to be somewhat waterproof. Electrical stuff isn't my specialty so input is appreciated
Darren

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
The wires in the fairing are both fused and switched with your ignition. They're perfect for wiring in a GPS..
I wired mine directly since I disconnect it at the GPS. For what you're after, I'd recommend going to a male/female Powerlet style plug. http://www.powerletproducts.com/products

The nice thing about this is you can also make up an adapter from Powerlet to cigarette lighter plug to have a place to charge your phone, or whatever.. I use mine to run my air mattress blower, and charge cell phones, as well as run my electric vest, but my powerlet outlet is wired directly to the battery (fused) with 12 gauge wires..

But the smaller wires in the fairing would run most anything else you're after, short of the body toaster..

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Got a couple of questions for you all. Want to mount a GPS on my bike. I've read some people use the aux wires that are in the fairing to wire the GPS directly.
1. Is this wire already fused?
2. Although I want to hard wire it directly I'd like to add some kind of quick disconnect so I can remove it when parked at work or somewhere. Anybody use SAE connectors? Any other suggestions?
I'd think it needs to be somewhat waterproof. Electrical stuff isn't my specialty so input is appreciated
Darren

Theoretically you aren't wiring the GPS directly to the bike's wiring system. You would be best served by wiring in a 12 volt power outlet into which you would plug an adaptor cord specific to your GPS. So as far as removing the GPS goes you just unplug it from the outlet and carry it with you when leaving the bike.

As to wiring the plug itself you could feed it off of the wires you find behind the fairing. Only drawback with this is that these wires are switched to the ignition. My GPS shuts down when it loose auxiliary power. I chose to wire my power plug direct from the battery so that it is on all the time. That way I can look at the GPS with the ignition off.

Also you will probably want to get a Ram Mount for the GPS. Which GPS do you use?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
don't have one yet. I have been looking for a decent one at a resonable price but didn't want to buy one and then have it laying around a month for me to figure out a way to wire it. I already have a 12V outlet that I mounted directly to my battery but I've heard that if you plug them into it that they can vibrate loose and they will shut down when power is lost.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are there unused connections behind the faring that can be used, or do you have to splice to existing wiring? Any diagrams or photos that can be shared?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Are there unused connections behind the faring that can be used, or do you have to splice to existing wiring? Any diagrams or photos that can be shared?
I don't know about the 08-09 models, but earlier models have extra wires behind the fairing.

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
I don't know about the 08-09 models, but earlier models have extra wires behind the fairing.
DCardoza-

08+ models don't have the aux circuit, but it is easy to tap off of the instrument lighting circuits for light duty use such as the GPS, clock, temp gauge, etc. If you go that way it would be best to put a really small fuse (1-2A) in the line.

Paper's recommendation on the Powerlet is good - they will not vibrate out as they have a detent between the plug and socket. It's really worth the trouble to run a 14 or 16 gauge fused line up to the front from the battery to a Powerlet, as then you can easily have a 15A power source.

If you want that power source to be on only when the ignition is on, you can set up a relay that triggers off of the instrument cluster lighting.

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Running Powerlet is the way to go. Whitehorse Gear sells a Powerlet to Mini-USB adapter that allows you to disconnect and unplug. The Powerlet socket selected should be the covered type that seals out the elements when the plug is removed.
This is the complete kit from Powerlet (that includes the RAM Mount) that I used for my Garmin Nuvi 660. While not fully weatherproof it will suffice until I can afford a fully waterproof Zumo.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can tap into the rear brake light at its connection on the left side, rear, under the seat. This power source is switched.

·
Registered
7 Posts
PowerLet & RAM Mount

Running Powerlet is the way to go. Whitehorse Gear sells a Powerlet to Mini-USB adapter that allows you to disconnect and unplug. The Powerlet socket selected should be the covered type that seals out the elements when the plug is removed.
This is the complete kit from Powerlet (that includes the RAM Mount) that I used for my Garmin Nuvi 660. While not fully weatherproof it will suffice until I can afford a fully waterproof Zumo.
Finally got mine installed. Powerlet was amazing and UPS's me the corrrect connecting cable after I ordered the wrong one. Works great except the USB mini plug vibrates out of the GPS. I use one of my daughter's black hair ties to wrap the GPS in the RAM Mount and it holds the plug in quite nicely. Tested it today with 100 mile ride and it works fine.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I wired my Garmin zumo 550 direct to both my KLR and V-Strom. Both MC's have a power cable so I disconnect the power cable at the mount when I move it to the other MC.
The 550 comes with everything you need to mount it on a MC or your Auto.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I prefer continuous power for a GPS receiver (doesn't switch from bike-to-inernal batteries each time stopped/started).

KLR vibration's a problem in my experience; besides shaking the plug from the socket, I've actually had a toroid shaken from the circuit board of my Garmin plug (power regulation and conditioning circuitry exists within the automotive-style plug).

My suggestion, find a receptacle mounting location as vibration-free as possible.

If a keyed circuit is desired, while the city light circuit is fused, that fuse is the 20-amp main fuse. You might want a much lower amperage fuse in your power connection; you don't want a short in your GPS receiver to shut your bike down.

I went with a fused connection directly to the battery for redundancy and continuous power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a C-Model KLR at home in South Africa. Am riding an A model here in NZ. Question is, are there the same unused wires for the C? I suppose I could wait to get home but have always been a tad impatient.

Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
According to the wiring diagrams in the Clymer manual and the wiring diagram by Professor Jim: No.

Both diagrams show the "city lights" wires connected to a light bulb for all models except Canada and U.S. Only Canada and U.S. get the disconnected wires hanging there.

(While I may use the Clymer diagram on occasion, that one by Professor Jim shows details about what connects to what inside the switches. http://www.bigcee.com/faq/KLR650-color-wiring-diagram.jpg)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The KLR I have in New Zealand has these wires as well, so I believe it may not just be North America?

I will then just hardwire the socket into the headlights. Did that on a BMW 650 GS I had and worked a treat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts