Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding old county roads after the rain, and got a little turned around and ended up having to back track stopping my exploring.

What kind of "waterproof" Gps do y'all use, and how long have you had it?

a lot of county roads with dead ends around here would like to keep going next time.:character00201:

·
Administrator
8,277 Posts
Garmin zumo 660.

Had it for about 8 years or so.

Tom

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 590 LM for three years. I have ridden in pouring rain, through winter weather and it has never failed me in any conditions. The best part for me is it came with Ram mounts that let me use it on my KLR and in the Jeep. One press of the button and it goes with me in either vehicle. I can like my UClear to it, and stream my Pandora into it as well. I spent the extra money and I can monitor my tire pressure as I ride in real time at any speed.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I think Garmin makes a solid product.

I've been running the Nuvi 500 w/Topo maps since 2009 on the moto, and in the vehicle. Mine has seen many offroad miles in rain, dust, bumpy roads, ect. It's still going strong!

Survived the Sheetiron 300 Enduro in the rain, mud, and water crossings

Survived the sand and washboard in Baja last year.

Survived Deathvalley (Twice)

Survived the Tri-State ride with Snakeboy66 and KMBSAR and MB4

·
Registered
259 Posts
Garmin Zumo 550. Ive had it for 9 years without any issue. Not made anymore but an awesome unit. I will have to upgrade to 660 sometime in the next couple of years.

·
Administrator
8,277 Posts
Not made anymore, though I think you can still buy one. Not supported anymore, the last firmware was 5.10 two years or so ago.

Superseded by the 590 and mebbe the 390. It's sort of hard to figure out Garmin's model numbering scheme. They're German; they probably couldn't find the right form to fill out.

I played with a 390 and didn't like it. Haven't had the chance to play with a 590. They will pry my 660 from my cold, dead fingers now that I've finally figured out how to make it jump through a hoop.

Know why there are no jokes about Germans?

There's absolutely nothing funny about Germans.

Tom

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was using the Garmin Nuvi 550 up until early last year. They were rugged little buggers, but the map downloads became too large for their memory so I can't update them anymore. I still have two of them, but when I ran into the download issue I bought a TomTom Rider Gen 5 to take their place.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Garmin offers small devices that screw on the air valve, (they must be metal valves), and transmits to the Zumo 590. There is an application on the Garmin that reads the air pressure in the tire as you ride. I can start the ride with 21 lbs in the front tire early in the morning. As I ride, I can check the pressure by just selecting the app on the Garmin. While I am rolling down the road or trail, I can read the air pressure in real time. I was surprised to see during the summer, the air pressure on the highway can increase up to 8 lbs.
The Garmin app will accommodate upto 4 tires, so it can be used with 4 wheelers as well as motorcycles.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Remember: You can get a waterproof case for some phones and then bluetooth to your helmet. I have a Zumo 550 and there's been times that I'd like to use it for target practice. The software has got beeter over the years but I'd rather use my android phone. There are advantages to the GPS. It's just easy to tell my phone to "go to ...." and the GPS is just one more thing to lock up or get stolen. A map is great on the dash but remember you have to look back up!

·
Registered
44 Posts
but I'd rather use my android phone. There are advantages to the GPS. It's just easy to tell my phone to "go to ....

It's my understanding that if one is out of cellular coverage an app is needed to use the gps function off line. Anyone have experience using their smartphone as a gps? I've been looking into Rever and Gaia apps for this. Rever is owned by Butler Maps and seems to do a nice job of tracking. Can also upload gpx and kml files. Downside is the maps seem to load slowly. Would be interested in anyones experiences.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The location/map on the iPhone and probably smart phones doesn't work unless you have cell coverage. I use a Garmin Nuvi 65, it has a large screen and I was able to find the Ram mount for it. It isn't waterproof but I just went on an extended ride through weather and covered it in a ziploc bag and didn't have any problems with it.

The maps on it have their limitations too-like the really remote roads are sketchy and it would have been great to have the satellite photo map at that point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts