Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! New to the forum and KLR. I just got my 06 due to my 09 Ninja being knocked over and receiving some frame damage. Loving the KLR like I've never loved a bike before :)

Anyways, my question is this: minus the frame and left mirror, the Ninja is complete, stock, and 100% functional but I have to part it out due to the damage. Are there any parts I could take from the ninja to put onto the KLR?

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Hey all! New to the forum and KLR. I just got my 06 due to my 09 Ninja being knocked over and receiving some frame damage. Loving the KLR like I've never loved a bike before :)

Anyways, my question is this: minus the frame and left mirror, the Ninja is complete, stock, and 100% functional but I have to part it out due to the damage. Are there any parts I could take from the ninja to put onto the KLR?
If the '09 Ninja is 100% Functional other than a Broken Left Hand Mirror, I have to ask HOW can the frame be Totally Damaged from being "Knocked Over"?
(Rack up your post count to 15+ and show some pics, if you can.)

If scratches on a frame total a bike I have ridden TOTALED bikes all of my life!

If you learn to ride your KLR at 80-100% of ITS capabilities on dirt and rock 2 track roads and single track trails you are probably gonna' drop it at 3-40+mph sooner or later.
Which will not Total its frame. We pick ourselves and the bike UP and usually ride it back to home or trailer or motel. Repair & Repeat.

Your '09 Ninja frame is even stronger, imho.
So who told you it was totaled? I'd insist on a 2nd opinion before 'parting out'!
Cosmetic plastic body parts for the Ninja 650 or any other sportbike are Not Cheap, but that is not the Frame.

OH, and Nothing from the Ninja actually FITS on the KLR650. But a few VERY GOOD Machinist/Welders with a VERY Good understanding of Electronics have managed to 'Transplant' a Ninja 650 engine into a KLR650 frame. With a few hundred hours of their 'Free time'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the '09 Ninja is 100% Functional other than a Broken Left Hand Mirror, I have to ask HOW can the frame be Totally Damaged from being "Knocked Over"?
(Rack up your post count to 15+ and show some pics, if you can.)

If scratches on a frame total a bike I have ridden TOTALED bikes all of my life!

If you learn to ride your KLR at 80-100% of ITS capabilities on dirt and rock 2 track roads and single track trails you are probably gonna' drop it at 3-40+mph sooner or later.
Which will not Total its frame. We pick ourselves and the bike UP and usually ride it back to home or trailer or motel. Repair & Repeat.

Your '09 Ninja frame is even stronger, imho.
So who told you it was totaled? I'd insist on a 2nd opinion before 'parting out'!
Cosmetic plastic body parts for the Ninja 650 or any other sportbike are Not Cheap, but that is not the Frame.

OH, and Nothing from the Ninja actually FITS on the KLR650. But a few VERY GOOD Machinist/Welders with a VERY Good understanding of Electronics have managed to 'Transplant' a Ninja 650 engine into a KLR650 frame. With a few hundred hours of their 'Free time'.
"Knocked over" was a bit of a euphemism for being run over by a Civic while parked. There's a visible and total break in the frame (not the plastics, the actual metal frame), and both mechanics I've shown it to said that no reputable shop would weld it. It's a little more than a cosmetic scratch. However, all electronics, the engine, the transmission, and everything else from the bike work; it's just not actually rideable. I've been spending less time online but when I reach the post limit I'll update with some pictures.

I've already taken the KLR on a 2-track road and dropped it while going down a small hill. Everything held up just fine. I'd consider that normal abuse for a bike, and definitely normal for a KLR. However, even if unlikely and unfortunate, the Ninja is totaled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts