Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wife & I are the Rallymasters for the Glacial Lakes Motorcycle Club, which hosts a Grand Tour every year. There are a couple people from this board who've participated in past tours. I'd like to throw an invite out to everyone to join in the fun.

Check out the rules & entry form here. www.glmc.org/grand-tour.html If you have specific questions, ask away.

Sleddog

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Aww.. I wanted to be the one who posted the info about the GT... :(

I'll be printing and mailing tomorrow.

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
Is this open to Canadians?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Check's in the mail..
The "Must be on a building" twist is going to make it a lot more challenging than some of the guys think... :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check's in the mail..
The "Must be on a building" twist is going to make it a lot more challenging than some of the guys think... :)

Yes it is, but rather than just running down the hiway & stopping at a State erected town sign, this will get you into the towns to look around. There are a lot of really unique buildings etc with the town name.

I like this one for Irene, SD

Here is the whole mural

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So one point is one town? Equalling 25 towns needed just to finish?
That's correct. Every finisher gets a T-Shirt & entered into the 1st round of prizes. If a rider has 50 points they're entered into 2nd round. 100 points gets you entered 4 times!

Sleddog

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
When you put your mind to it on a weekend day, you can knock out a bunch.

Last year I got 11 towns while riding up to Winnona, MN to ride a 12 hour Road Rally the next day with Sleddog.:) (well, we parked next to each other, anyways)

And another Saturday, later in the summer I jumped on my FZ6 and just meandered SW Wisconsin and NE Iowa. I grabbed another 8-9 that day.

The rest I just grabbed while on rides with others, and one night after work I wandered for 3 hours and grabbed 5 more.

Last year, we were gathering City limit or Post Office signs with towns that ended in Burg (or Berg) or Ton. It was the Titanic Grand Tour, and the Titanic was carrying Tons and was defeated by a Berg.

The year before, it was the Villians Tour. You had to get the same signs (city limit, post office, town welcome sign) of cities that ended in Ville..

That was my first Grand Tour with GLMC and I must confess, I still see Villes everywhere when riding.. :)

The Grand Tour is fun and a reason to get out and ride to towns that I would have never considered visiting.. Ever visit Farmersburg, IA?? I have, and I would have never been to that tiny town if it weren't for the GT. :)

The only problem with the GT is that I've resigned that I CAN'T win with the most points. I have a job and can't wander the ends of the US and Canada while retired.

But, the t-shirt for the finishers is a great trophy in itself, and there's something about wearing a shirt among other riders and none of them have the shirt. It's not purchased, but earned. I haven't won a door prize in the GT, but it'll happen, maybe.

In the Villians GT I ended up with (I think) around 77 towns. Last year was very busy so I only got around 42 or so. My goal for this year is more than 50 again.

It's a good time and a great way to wander into some towns that you would have never thought of visiting.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds like a ton of fun! Looking around I just don't think there are even 25 within reasonable weekend riding distance for me. Otherwise check would be in the mail.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Sounds like a ton of fun! Looking around I just don't think there are even 25 within reasonable weekend riding distance for me. Otherwise check would be in the mail.

So you're saying you're in a remote area??? Don't tell Sleddog.. I've been to South and North Dakota.. Your neighbor might be in a different area code.:)

·
Registered
327 Posts
So Cal is not known for its lakes and rivers of abundant water flow. We have to steal it from far away and import it in little plastic bottles.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
So Cal is not known for its lakes and rivers of abundant water flow. We have to steal it from far away and import it in little plastic bottles.
I was just in Riverside..:)

I'm kidding.. I'd love to get involved in more road rallys and such, but you have to have time, and desire, and they sorta go hand in hand.

I'm going to be passing on the Bonsai Road Rally this year, a 12 hour road rally held in Winnona, MN on the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend.. Great people (including Sleddog and his brother) but I'm not into the competitive portion of riding/scheduling/timekeeping, and would rather just go ride, meet up with friends, and BS.. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You have about 5 1/2 months to collect them. Just off the top of my head you could run up PCH & collect several. Venice Beach, Huntington Beach, Seal Beach, Long Beach, Oceanside, Moro Bay, Grover Beach, Nipomo, near Grover Beach, won't get any points but, a stop at Jocko's Steakhouse is worth the trip!:cool0012:

Sleddog

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't see "beach" on the list??? I see Harbors and Coves, how about "Ports?" While were at it, the main site says must start or end not just have in the name like the flyer says, so would Westlake Village count? See, I was going by the main site and the statement that if I find myself questioning its legitimacy it probably doesn't count.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts