Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a GLT (brand name) and have tried installing it at front, center and rear of the skid pad and at the end of the front forks. Does not work. Any other suggestions/ideas?

Mike

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I recently bought a GLT (brand name) and have tried installing it at front, center and rear of the skid pad and at the end of the front forks. Does not work. Any other suggestions/ideas?

Mike

Most stoplights work by sensing metal mass with induction loops buried in the asphalt. You can see the loop as you pull up to the stop. The loop is more sensitive at the edge not the middle so stoping over the edge helps. The sensitivity is adjustable so you should report a light that doesn't trip for a motorcycle.

That said if the stoplight doesn't work for you a legal vehicle it's defective. I live in California and the vehicle code states that in the case of a non-op light you can procede when safe. Of course the "when safe" clause is a judgement call on your part and you may have to defend that.

I don't subscribe to the "hang a right pull a u-turn solution" unless cross traffic prohibits making a left without a stoplight (I would probably get off the bike and press the pedistrian button before I would do that anyway).

Motorcycles have the same rights as cars. You wouldn't sit at a non-op light in a car so don't do it on a bike but be prepared to explain your actions, that you waited sufficient time for the light to cycle and proceded when safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spec, thanks. Hard to believe a magnet could be defective but you never know. I didn't mention that I had a different brand magnet that was shaped like a small cylinder. Couldn't get it to work either.

Mike

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Spec is right. A few tricks I've heard - not sure if they work:

Turn the bike off and on.

Put the kickstand down.

I only ever get stuck at one left turn light and I either wait like Spec said or if there is a car behind me I wave them forward to trigger the light.

There's a thread on here about this if you search. Cheers. :35a:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lockjaw, thanks. I'll give that stuff a try. I've already had one experience with a cop that just barely let me off. I believe it has to do with the height of the bike, but what do I know.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts