Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to buy and I am looking for a green one, I have decided to find a used one someone has put some time into to see how I like it. I may eventually get a new(er) one but it all depends on what I find. They are hard to find at dealerships here in NE GA

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you looking for the olive drab green or the highlighter kawasaki green? I lucked out and got mine from a guy at cycletrader.com. Ended up driving 5 hours each way (allentown to pittsburgh), but i got exactly the one I wanted.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to match my ninja 250 so the trditional kawa green is for me, the green produces less drag making it faster :wink:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Don't forget Craigslist. There's often a lot of KLRs on there at any one particular time.

OR... Get any bike you can for a good price, and get the plastics off of E-Bay. Seller KLRCountry takes the plastics off new uncrated bikes and sells them cheap. So, any year you get you can have a brand new looking one for a few hundred bones!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sweet! With all the knowledge on this board you can't go wrong. A new bike opens up a whole new style of riding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Biker Scout said:
Don't forget Craigslist. There's often a lot of KLRs on there at any one particular time.

OR... Get any bike you can for a good price, and get the plastics off of E-Bay. Seller KLRCountry takes the plastics off new uncrated bikes and sells them cheap. So, any year you get you can have a brand new looking one for a few hundred bones!
+1 on the plastics off of Ebay. You do painting, right Jason? So gas tank is not an issue.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yea, if I get one you can bet it will have the trickest paint of any KLR on the road. Already have the paint btw :wink:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well, don't invest too much time into painting a sub $5k bike that's made for scratching and dropping on the the trail. You'll be heart broken at the first scratch.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its probably a 4 hour job I have planned + clear coat time, so if it gets beaten up it wont be to big of a deal, And I'll prbably repaint it every now and then for something different anyway, plastic bikes are more easily repainted than the rest, with only the tank needing the major prep.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you are close enough for a drive, there's a GI Green/Silver KLR650 here in Tallahassee at the Cycle Shop. Faded plastics, but hey, you got paint! :lol:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its going to be green flames, much like the true flame work I do but all in green rather than the oranges, yellows and reds or realf flames. i think it will be a nice looking paint job that will not be to offensive to look at once on the bike.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I heard the Barbie color was faster 8)

·
Registered
69 Posts
KLRGunn said:
I heard the Barbie color was faster 8)
Well let's just put this to bed once and for all! :D I had to explain this once before. Here's how I put it (and you can't argue with science!).

"I did some highly unscientific in depth research and have come to a conclusion regarding the issue of red vs. green. According to wikipedia, a source for numerous highly unscientific research projects, within the visible spectrum, the light adapted eye of humans typically has it's maximum sensitivity at 555 nm. That falls within the green region of the spectrum. Since the human eye is more sensitive to the color green, it's incorrect perception is that green KLR's are faster, when in fact, everyone knows the red ones are the fastest."

So KLR650, you just can't go wrong with a red one!

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
If your looking for a used KLR, and are going to paint it, then you should be more concerned with the condition of the bike. They are the same from 96-2007 except the color and possibly a few minor things like the shifter lever, the air mixture screw for the carb, and maybe something else. But basicly the same bike with diffrent numbers on the vin.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I need the green base that is the standard kawa green, they think alot per pint of the stuff. And I just like green better. That was if I decided for some reason not to pain it, or wanted to wait a while it would still have the right color for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts