Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2005 KLR650
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Product link: OBR ADV Gear 3/4 Style Enduro Grip Mitts.

I was originally looking for a pair of nice insulated gloves to allow me to continue commuting to work at 32-40F in the morning. My one ride in at 45F was rather uncomfortable with my unlined Rev'It leather gloves.
Good winter gloves are expensive. Gore-tex + insulation + protection = $$$. I wasn't in love with my options, and I wasn't seeing anything fantastic come up on the advrider flea market or local Facebook marketplace. I did finally grab a set of Dainese Carbon GTX gloves for cheap, but they're unlined outside of the gore-tex and normal pique liner (they're fantastic gloves though, and very water resistant).

In the midst of my search, I started down the grip mitt rabbit hole. I figured that anything that kept the freezing 75mph wind off my hands would really help keep them from freezing.
I didn't really want big, bulky things like Hippo Hands. It's a dual sport bike that gets dual-(triple?) purposed for commuting, and I need to be able to move around on the bars and pull my hands off and put them back without issue. Any options would also need to be able to fit over brush guards.

Enter the OBR ADV Gear 3/4 style Grip Mitts.
These seemed to be an obvious winner. They wouldn't be as insulating or protective as Hippo Hands (or anything similarly sized), but they would keep the wind off and be more user friendly than full sized alternatives.

Shipping was fairly rapid; I believe they shipped within 1-2 days, and I had them a few days later.

Construction is sturdy 1680D ballistic nylon. Study stuff that's flexible but keeps its shape pretty well. You won't have to worry about these getting damaged off road.

Installation was about as easy as it gets. Velcro loop to attach to the brush guard frame, and a couple snap-on velcro strips to wrap around the bars.

It was 35F when I left for work yesterday, wearing the aforementioned Dainese GTX gloves. While not warm, my hands did not freeze during my 25min commute, most of which at 70-75mph. The grip mitts obviously allow some air to flow behind them, but they keep the blast of freezing wind from directly hitting my fingers. My fingers were still cold, but not painfully so.

Unlike a lot of full size options, these do not obstruct the controls. I can easily see and reach all of the controls on the bars.
They don't seem to flap in the wind, either. I might install some additional velcro on the front of the brush guards to help secure the mitts, but more for my peace of mind than anything else. Larger brush guards (I have some low profile Cycra guards installed) would probably secure the mitts a little better.

I feel like I could ride in freezing temps for a couple hours at a time without too much discomfort. It's likely to warm up by then anyway.
I am considering grip heaters of some sort as a quality of life improvement, but I still feel these grip mitts are a great solution. A set of these in addition to grip heaters and you could probably ride well into sub-freezing temps with normal spring/fall gloves.

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire

Automotive tire Brickwork Art Brick Sidewalk

· Registered
2005 KLR650
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those look pretty nice and ~ 1/2 the price of the bulkier Hippo's. (y)

I may want to add a pair to the KLR in addition to Oxford Heaterz. I'm pretty sure I can fabricate an alum side bracket for the stock KLR guards to attach the mitts to. (don't really want to invest in new 2-mount-point hand guards)
If you're going to go through the effort, I'd really recommend the full proper brush guards. A set of Tusk D-Flex guards isn't that expensive, and proper guards will actually protect your levers and bars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts