Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake disks have always have grooves in them that I can feel with my fingernail. Seems to still brake okay, but is it really acceptable?
Seeing the Tusk brake disks for $50 made me wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Depends of your definition of groove. Do you have a set of calipers to measure wear? I ran my rear brake pad down about as far as you can and still get braking power - that was dumb, but it didn't break or anything - it just didn't brake ( sorry ).

I'd think if you're just talking "ridges," it measure wide enough, and you're still braking ... you're probably ok. But more info would help. :)

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
With Galfer 320 mm oversize rotor on my Generation 1, I found OEM pads dug some palpable grooves; replaced with Galfer Green pads; gentler on the rotor. Stop fine; wear quicker; less engraving.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed some Tusk Sintered pads front and rear not long ago. They seem to be smoothing out the rotors some.

I'll bring home s pair of calipers this week to measure rotor thickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Just a maintenance question: Is grooving of brake disks of no consequence, as long as the thickness of the "lands"(i.e., maximum thickness of the disk) is within specs?

I'd think a smooth brake disk surface would offer smoother braking, and a slower erosion rate of both pads and disk. Yet, grooving may have no effect whatsoever on braking performance or system component wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts