Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
It’s a klr big surprise
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve heard lots of people installing gsxr mufflers on dr650. I thought why not try. I don’t want anything to do with aftermarket mufflers. Especially with idea of repacking and being loud.
move got 2011 gsxr 750 muffler from eBay. Paid Something like 65$ shipped. I ended up cutting piece of Pipe from my oem muffler and fabricating rest of the pipe to connect to the muffler. It turned out to be fairly easy and it fits quite well.
Sound wise it’s great! Definitely louder, low tone, not too loud for sure. Not raspy or harsh sounding. Highway cruising speed just a touch louder than stock.Slow speed it just awesome. Never had any other mufflers but I’ve heard life some loud ass fmf and some stainless ear splitters. I’d call this neighbor friendly set up. View attachment 29936

·
Registered
433 Posts
I’d call this neighbor friendly set up.
I really appreciate that part for sure. At times on Friday and Saturday nights I sware I'm at Laguna Seca Raceway while at home.

·
Administrator
3,943 Posts
I like it. Certainly lighter than a KLR muffler. Does that muffler have a spark arrestor? Maybe all mufflers do, I’m not sure. Got a side view picture?

·
Registered
It’s a klr big surprise
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should add some more photos. I didn’t replace stock muffler for looks, weight or “performance” I just wanted something touch louder, no maintenance, cheap and good quality. I cant comment too much on cheapness of a project. Because if you have to pay someone to make mid pipe and installation it’ll exceed reasonable budget. As I found out after I bought it - muffler from GSXR is titanium so I could not weld it. I’ve tried :) it’s far from being beginner friendly install. But I have tools and general idea what I wanted and it turned out to my satisfaction. I had 2000 Subaru Outback exhaust manifold lying around. That’s where I gotten my stainless steel bends, stripped it from shield cut all usable chunks out. I also used chunk of pipe that I cut off oem muffler ( i knew I ruined it but If I don’t like gsxr muffler I’ll cut that chunk off and weld back on oem muffler. No big deal. I have a flux core welder:) I used stock tab on gsxr muffler for mounting in stock klr position. And for second hanger I’ve used home made L bracket on pipe clamp. For many of people it might not seem perfect, but it’s done very good for what it is.
very happy how it sounds. It’s a dual chamber muffler. Very reasonably quiet. I refuse to believe GSXR guys take these titanium mufflers off to put something different on. But who knows.

·
Registered
It’s a klr big surprise
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

this is just a pre fit with my bends tack welded together. I didn’t make too many photos. Just for memories basically.

·
Administrator
3,943 Posts
Pretty sure oem mufflers have that. It’s dual chamber not straight thru crap

Just reading on some DR forums, where this is a popular upgrade, it would seem to indicate that the GSXR muffler does NOT have a spark arrestor. This is what they are putting in. Please don't go off road without it.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, ALL street legal vehicles MUST come from the factory with spark arrested mufflers since about 1983 or even earlier, in the USA.

One never knows when you might be forced to ride into/thru the borrow ditch or pull to the roadside to fix a flat.

·
Registered
It’s a klr big surprise
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let’s don’t get stuck and sucked in obsession with additional spark arresters. It’s a oem street legal muffler with everything what’s necessary built in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts