Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to another lost friend.

So I got this sweetheart out today, her name is Blondie. Technically known as a Guild D-30. We have been estranged for the last several years and will come to a reckoning one way or another. You see, she doesn’t like me picking on her (with a pick that is). She likes the touch of my bare fingertips best and even likes open tunings and a slide now and then and is not afraid of me dropping her D once in a while.

The problem is I’m terrible at finger picking. Tommy Emmanuel has inspired me to learn this art of detaching ones thumb from his fingers then bringing it all together once again in something that resembles the sound of music.

Got guitars? Show ‘em !!!

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Beautiful guitar! Sadly, I'm musically challenged so I don't have any cool instruments. :nothingtoadd:

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Beautiful guitar! Sadly, I'm musically challenged so I don't have any cool instruments. :nothingtoadd:
Heck, don't let that stop you, it didn't me! I can read music and can play the guitar plus a few other stringed instruments but I have no talent. There is the difference. I showed my eldest son just the basics and he took off with it surpassing my meager ability at a young age. He has a talent for it and wound up with my really cool guitars......a '74 Gibson SG Standard and my beloved '62 Fender Jaguar. My middle son has my banjo and good riddance to that. They are in better hands than mine !!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ovation Ultra GS I got from a buddy back in 1987. Sounded awesome with that EMG pick up going into a tube screamer pedal into a Marshall Jubilee half stack...very crunchy. I haven't touched it in about a decade but thinking about teaching my daughter to play in a couple years.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hat's off to you flash for knowing how to finger pick. I've always wanted to learn that but never had any format training nor the discipline. My friend who sold me the Ovation took classical guitar courses in college...it was always mind blowing watching him play. Very cool.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ovation Ultra GS I got from a buddy back in 1987. Sounded awesome with that EMG pick up going into a tube screamer pedal into a Marshall Jubilee half stack...very crunchy. I haven't touched it in about a decade but thinking about teaching my daughter to play in a couple years.
Ha, that brings back memories of an even earlier time when I thought it was the shit to have the "new" versions of the latest "stomp boxes". My set up was a Les Paul ripoff plugged into the Electro Hamonix Elecrtic Mistress, a Big Muff, Dunlop Cry Baby and finally out to a Marshall Major on top of a 412 cabinet. It was awful by todays standards but we were having a literal blast. Huh?

I later wound up with a real Gibson Les Paul and a Peavey Solo single 12 for a while then got a deal on a Peavey Renown 212 which I kept for a long time. My son has a Line 6 amp that is great and if I ever get back into electric that's what I will have also.

Get your set up out and expose your daughter to it, she may surprise you one day!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ha, that brings back memories of an even earlier time when I thought it was the shit to have the "new" versions of the latest "stomp boxes". My set up was a Les Paul ripoff plugged into the Electro Hamonix Elecrtic Mistress, a Big Muff, Dunlop Cry Baby and finally out to a Marshall Major on top of a 412 cabinet. It was awful by todays standards but we were having a literal blast. Huh?

I later wound up with a real Gibson Les Paul and a Peavey Solo single 12 for a while then got a deal on a Peavey Reknown 212 which I kept for a long time. My son has a Line 6 amp that is great and if I ever get back into electric that's what I will have also.

Get your set up out and expose your daughter to it, she may surprise you one day!!!
The Marshal and all the pedals are long gone. The only reason I kept the guitar was to see if my daughter would be interested but she's only 4. How old was your son when he started?

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From birth, well even before. I'd play to her belly then play acoustic lullabies for him after he was born as well as my other sons. When mom couldn't keep them from crying it was my turn more often than not. Some times the guitar worked but more often a ride in my truck did the trick. I'd let them strum the strings when ever they had a mind to and never offered anything else until they were grown enough to be able to finger a full size guitar.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just don't have that much faith in my daughter's attention span...LOL. I may give it a try pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i have an ear for music i can pick a song and figure it out on guitar but cant play a single chord or read music. tried the mandolin for a while but the dryness of the desert here cracked the neck clear off of it. it was cheap and given to me anyway so i wasnt out anything. i pluck now and again when someone has one around. i just make up stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice guitar!

Tommy is one of the most inspirational people you will ever meet. Get a thumbpick and get to work!
In one of the concerts watched on YT somewhere in the middle he explains how he learned to finger pick. Got me thinking it is something I should buckle down and learn to do. I know I'll never get to his level of playing and being the performer he is.

I still have the finger picks used in my ill fated attempt at playing that infernal banjo, an instrument best left to anyone else but me. But, my aim is to be able to pick up a guitar and play music bare handed.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
How did I miss this. Started playing when I was 13. Worked a whole summer mowing yards and babysitting to buy a Gibson SG standard (red with the black pick guard of course). It's covered in stickers now. And I have my 3rd in a series of decent Yamaha acoustics.

My Dad is REALLY good at fingerpicking. I'm alright, but I grew up doing it. Played in bands for a decade. Mostly punk rock/rock stuff. Now, I play a lot of roots country, old blues and bluegrass. Folk.

I play guitar about every night when I'm done working. Girls (5 and 1) get shakers and dance like crazy.

Both are allowed to do whatever they want with any shakers, sticks, tambourines, my Yamaha, my friend Pat's acoustic he left here (ha!), uke, whatever. We have a nightly hootenanny. ;) Have for almost five years now.

My 5yo and I just recorded a Miley Cyrus song. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did I miss this. Started playing when I was 13. Worked a whole summer mowing yards and babysitting to buy a Gibson SG standard (red with the black pick guard of course). It's covered in stickers now. And I have my 3rd in a series of decent Yamaha acoustics.

My Dad is REALLY good at fingerpicking. I'm alright, but I grew up doing it. Played in bands for a decade. Mostly punk rock/rock stuff. Now, I play a lot of roots country, old blues and bluegrass. Folk.

I play guitar about every night when I'm done working. Girls (5 and 1) get shakers and dance like crazy.

Both are allowed to do whatever they want with any shakers, sticks, tambourines, my Yamaha, my friend Pat's acoustic he left here (ha!), uke, whatever. We have a nightly hootenanny. ;) Have for almost five years now.

My 5yo and I just recorded a Miley Cyrus song. ;)
I knew you'd be along soon enough.

"A nightly hootenanny". Good on ya' for exposing your children to homespun music!!! The Miley Cyrus I can do without but its not WHAT you play, its THAT you play. Together.

I pretty much stopped playing after the boys left the house. It's been years now and my tender fingers are proof of that.

A new beginning in a different direction.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm not into Miley Cyrus (neither is my girl really), but she worked out this killer acoustic cover. I've had it stuck in my head for weeks. Sad truth. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
Not a guitar, but this is a video of my brother-in-law playing his banjo and I would assume this is what is called "finger picking." Mildred Bruner was my Mom's aunt and she could play a fiddle like you wouldn't believe. I guess he wrote this song to honor her.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Great song. Quite a gesture. I don't know what you call it, but I love this Banjo style. Not flashy. Make me want to drink moonshine and go fishing.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Not a guitar, but this is a video of my brother-in-law playing his banjo and I would assume this is what is called "finger picking." Mildred Bruner was my Mom's aunt and she could play a fiddle like you wouldn't believe. I guess he wrote this song to honor her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvFAXYjavns
Clawhammer actually. The banjo has always been my nemisis, just never could get it right.

This is one of my fav's.....Twin Sisters by Doc & Merle Watson.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
A little late to this thread.

Here's what I play at church. It's a partscaster I put together about 6 months ago.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
A little late to this thread.

Here's what I play at church. It's a partscaster I put together about 6 months ago.

I like it. I almost got a light teal strat when I got my SG, but I like Gibson's necks better. I forgot. Or if I said this, ignore me. My Dad was in a gigging band in SE PA when he was in HS with some older guys. The Tangents I think? Matching beetle boots and shit. He had the white Mustang with the red pick guard and a Fender Bassman amp. He sold them both to the kid next door for pennies when he went to college/joined ROTC. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts