Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,I had to run a few errands in town today :| Not my favorite thing to do.Even though
our address is St.Marys,it's 14 miles to town.However :smile: there are several ways to
get there.So down to the barn I go to get the trusty steed.But first I have to feed the babies

Then I plan my route cross country and take off for town

Starting into the remote part of the trip :lol:

The obligatory pic of an abandon farm house.These things are everywhere in Wv.

on into the sticks

Finally get on the other side of the mountain and cross over Middle island creek

I head on into St.Marys.This is a shot of Main street

What,do you ask,are those tracks down main street?Trolly car?
Why no,they are train tracks.

This train is a coal train headed into the mines.When I was a kid growing up in pleasants
county,you could hear the train whistle all over for miles and knew they were getting
ready to go thru town.All the kids would beat feet to downtown to catch the caboose

and brakeman going by.They would always throw penny candies to the kids lining the streets.
I was told once that there are only six towns in the U S that a train runs thru mainstreet
One more shot of a road on the way home

Errands generally are a pain in the butt,but today wasn't to bad :lol:

Happy trails
Mike

·
Registered
595 Posts
Up til a couple of years ago, there was a freight train that ran through the middle of downtown Modesto(CA) just like that until it got to a dedicated line. And in a town of over 200k people, that kinda gets downtown commuters in a cranky mood. It's now been diverted, and even the main tracks have a couple of new bridges that cross over instead of crossing gates. Man, that seems like a long time ago. Your pic brought back memories, even if it was maybe 5 years at the most.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow! That train is crazy. Most people can't even drive with other cars on the road. Better get off the cell phone when that thing's coming at you...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah, I'm not feeling to sorry for you right now knowing that you have country and trails out your back door like that. I just hope when I make it to retirment age there's still places like that left in the world. By the way that train ran a red light, better tell the police. :lol:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Buildit said:
By the way that train ran a red light, better tell the police. :lol:
You noticed that to.
That is pretty cool though, a train, right in the middle of downtown.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for posting that up Mike. I, too, am riding vicariouly through others, so keep 'em coming brother!

Jamie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts