Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can I replace my Halogen H3 bulb with a Halogen Xeon H3 bulb? What is the difference? Is the Xeon bulb brighter per watt than the regular Halogen? Because of power consumption I would like to change out the 55w driving lamps to a lower wattage say 35w. I came across H3 bulbs that make a distinction that they are H3 Halogen Xeon bulbs. What is the difference?

Will a Halogen Xeon bulb be more efficient? Is a xeon bulb brighter per watt than the standard halogen bulb? The problem is the 55w halogen bulbs I am using now over power the charging sysem. I have to use less power in the driving lamps. If I can change to 35w halogen xeon will that give me more light than a 35w halogen?
thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry

I put two driving lights on the klr. Each bulb is a 55w halogen. After trying them out they are draining my battery even while riding. After about 30 or so minutes my volt meter reads 12.3 volts even while riding at 3K rpm. Have to reduce my power consumption. I was thinking about going with 35w halogen bulbs until I ran across 35w halogen xeron bulbs. I was wondering if I went with the 35w xeron bulbs would the draw be the same as a 35w halogen but the light would be brighter than the standard 35w halogen.

My headlight bulb is stock. As of now I have no plans to change it.

Sorry for the confusion. I hope this is a bit better.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I would think the 35's would help reduce drain over the 55's..
If you really want more light, and are going to contiune to use the stock headlight, spend the $40 for a relay light system.. The small wires and switch eat juice that should be going to the headlight.. With a relay, you'll be pulling straight from the battery, and the switch only tells the relay which beam to use..

And you get FULL voltage to the headlight, resulting in a MUCH brighter beam..

http://www.easternbeaver.com/

LED taillight system will save you some juice, too..

I put an Eastern Beaver relay on a couple years ago and was amazed at how much more light my stock headlight puts out.. Before, it wasn't enough to safely ride at night, now it's as bright as a 55w bulb can be..

I'd go with the one below, with the longer leads to give you the ability to mount the relays where you want them.

Then use your 35w aux lights for shining the sides for deer or whatnot..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks. That very well may be the way to go. I am assuming there is a connector along the frame that allows you to plug into the wires from the switch right? Is that the thing under the male plug for the headlight?
Yeah I have the same problem you had. The stock headlight really isn't enough.

thanks again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Paper,

Does the 2008 and up have the circuit for the lights actually going through the switch? Would this be something to put on the wish list?

·
Registered
269 Posts
if you see halogen and xenon in the same sentence, then it is generally a marketing term that describes the colour of light in the halogen bulb. if it says halogen any where then it is halogen. if it says only xenon then you are looking at xenon or HID. halogen uses a filament, xenon uses super heated gas. xenon typically produces 3x the light at a given voltage. the higher the kelvin rating of the light, the less lumens produced. you can't just swap in a HID xenon bulb, you need a ballast in line. i will be testing a kit in the next couple weeks. ill let you know how it goes. you can get both h3 and h4 xenon kits. im not sure how LED bulbs compare for output, but you can be pretty sure they will draw less voltage.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Ok then you can't just plug in a xeon bulb but you can use a halogen xeon bulb and it can be just plugged in right? Are they brighter than just a halogen bulb or is it just for a colour change?

In other words will the halogen xeron give me more light with less voltage drop than a standard halogen bulb?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thumbs,
The halogen in the xeon color will be comparable to other halogens. They give no benefit and may actually give less light than a non-colored halogen. A doc3toes stated, for the real thing, a ballast and special bulbs are required. Also the standard housing may not be up to the job either. You can research this over at the MarkVIII forums.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I guess the best way to do this is the 35w halogens and rewire the headlight.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
As far as the Eastern Beaver kit, all you do is unplug the socket from the bulb and plug that into the wiring kit and plug the other end of the wiring kit into the bulb, and connect your power lead to the battery and the other to the ground..
Find a spot to secure your relays behind your headlight, insert the fuse and you're done!!

It's very simple, and it's plug and play.. No cutting wires or anything..

I don't know about how the Gen 2 bikes are wired.. I've never ridden one, let alone worked on one, other than a Doohickey..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Paper

Thanks for the info.

Hey since you have done this before are these the LEDs I need for the 07?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turn-signal-led-kawasaki-ninja-ex-650-klr-klr650-VERSYS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem564392a0a7QQitemZ370500870311QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If they are can you use these for the front also? Where do you get the leds for the tail light? Will I need another flasher or will the stock one work?

Any guess as to how much wattage this will free up?

thanks
Truthfully, I don't know.. :) I still use the original turn signal bulbs, but I use an LED rear light that just plugs into the regular bulb holder and mounts on the screws that hold on the rear lense..

Just like this.. http://www.cyclenutz.com/KLR650-LED-Tail-Light-Conversion-Kit_p_66.html

Give Tony at Cyclenutz a shout and ask him if his LED kits will work on the KLR turn signals.. He's got a small selection of KLR stuff http://www.cyclenutz.com/KLR_c_76.html and Tony's a rider, not just someone selling stuff.. Here's his 2007 mug shot for the Iron Butt Rally that year.. http://www.ironbuttrally.com/ibr/2007/html/26-1.html
He's a great guy, and I'll be sharing some beers with him in a few weeks..:)

·
Registered
269 Posts
ok. i hooked up the HIDs today. i havent done the comparison yet to the other klr, but i can tell you they are BRIGHT. i think i am still seeing white spots. you really cannot look at the light. easy to install. i got a 55w car kit and only installed one side (so far). thread jacking pictures to come...

·
Registered
44 Posts
ok. i hooked up the HIDs today. i havent done the comparison yet to the other klr, but i can tell you they are BRIGHT. i think i am still seeing white spots. you really cannot look at the light. easy to install. i got a 55w car kit and only installed one side (so far). thread jacking pictures to come...
doc3toes, please share install / pictures. I'm interested in doing an HID conversion as well, so looking to your guidance :11a:

Cheers,

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts