Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, about 60% of the time when I ride, my ride fingers start to tingle and go to sleep. If I take it off the handlebar for just a few seconds, it will wake up. It even does this on short 10-15 minute drives.
I have tried keeping a really loose grip, tried relaxing my arms, I used gloves. I am not sure why it's doing that.

Any advice?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had the same problem with my 01 Connie. There was too much weight on my wrists. After experimenting with bar risers etc. I solved the problem by installing a set of Storz touring bars. The bars not only changed the height of my hands but also the angle of my wrists. You will just have to experiment with different bars and risers until you find the right combo for you. This is assumming you don't have carpal tunnel syndrome or other circulation problems.

Greg

·
Registered
170 Posts
For some reason, about 60% of the time when I ride, my ride fingers start to tingle and go to sleep. If I take it off the handlebar for just a few seconds, it will wake up. It even does this on short 10-15 minute drives.
I have tried keeping a really loose grip, tried relaxing my arms, I used gloves. I am not sure why it's doing that.

Any advice?
Maybe put "bar weights" inside ends of handle bars,,I have some in mine,,and it reduces handlebar vibration,,which is probably what is putting your hands to sleep. My hands did the same thing until I put the weights in.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

Any advice?

I put a set of Pro Grip 737 grips on and they killed most of the vibes. They're larger diameter than the stock grips and nice and squishy! Also they last a long time.

If the bike is biased weight foward (forks not all the way extended in the triple clamps and/or rear shock preload too stiff) you will tend to put more weight on your hands. Rotating the bars (foward or backward) may help also.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You. I will try the grips first, mainly because I want some gel ones anyways. Then, if that does not work. I will take up some of the other suggestions too.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
What are those foam grip covers called? Anyone? Anyway, those help a lot and are cheap.

·
Administrator
8,826 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Bam. Thanks, Tom. Yeah, they're dopeness. And not pricey.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Gotta love it. Grip puppies. At some point somebody said, "we need a unique name for this product...one people won't forget...."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you wearing a backpack when this happens? I had may left hand go numb once and realized it was from my left shoulder strap being too tight.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try riding with two fingers on the levers(cover). It made a huge diff. for me

·
Administrator
3,704 Posts
Try a Throttlerocker or Crampbuster. It allows you to open your hand and control the throttle with your palm.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey everyone...
Thanks for the advice.
The gel grips helped a little I think. However, my hands still get sore/tired/tingle when I ride (even after a short 10 min ride). I have tried using just palm, and moving my arms around. I can't figure it out.
It also feels like to stock bars are a little low and wide?
Sure wish I could find an ideal fix...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was reading some other forums and it looked like loading the bars with BBs may have worked decently well for people too.
Anyone have any good ideas on how to do this? Is it simply taking off the end weights and dumping BBs into the handlebars?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts