Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any hand guards that can be installed without any modification to the grips, or control cables? ( Like a "plug-and-Play)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
No mods to grips means you would be using wind guards. aka same as stockers.
What are you trying to gain?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not exactly what you asked for, but on Revzilla I noticed Acerbis has a model that doesn’t have bar clamps; however, it still has the bar insert expander. Kind of the opposite of the stock wings. Still have to cut the grip/tube but might make working around the cabling easier and not interfere with other gizmos on the bar.

Acerbis Dual Road Handguards - RevZilla

I’ve also been researching/shopping handguards. Just looking for something cheap and not too hard to fit on the bike. Haven’t found them yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not exactly sure what you're looking for. I have Barkbusters and I consider them plug-and-play. Remove the bar end weights and screw in the Barkbuster end, then clamp the other end to the bars. I didn't have to do anything to the grips or worry about rerouting any cables. To be true, while I didn't reroute the clutch cable, it is very close to the bar clamp and could be moved if I felt there was an issue. Ridden two years and 15,000 miles without any issues.

Is this the type of information you're looking for?

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
No. Without modifications to the grips (and throttle tube) you cannot install hand guards......I don't consider the stock wind guards or MX style roost guards to be real hand guards.

Dave

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guards

I guess I jumped the gun on my question. I checked a few videos, and now realize that some modification has to be done to the end of the grip.

My main concern is how much the bikes cables will interfere with the part that clamps to the handlebar.
I did see there's another method to connect to the Triple Clamp. Any input on that would be appreciated. ( Clearing cables, interference, etc. )

Any links to specific guards that would work on the Gen-2.
I'd like a shield as large as possible for wind protection.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm planning to install barkbusters with the "storm" shields tonight! I'll let you know how little mods are required to make this work.

However, I believe there are several other members that have already done this and will tell you there are no mods required other than removing the bar ends (and MAYBE adjusting the routing of the clutch cable)..... similar to tjduexjr's post.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I've found Tusk handguards readily mountable on my Generation 1; crashworthy and affordable.

From Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. Mine have a metal backbone, plastic covers, and are pre-drilled and tapped for screws attaching color-matching plastic "spoilers," which I also purchased.

The spoilers only cost around $ 10 a pair, give added wind protection, and can be replaced in cases of road rash, at low cost.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1036/9547/Tusk-D-Flex-Handguards

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I guess I jumped the gun on my question. I checked a few videos, and now realize that some modification has to be done to the end of the grip.

My main concern is how much the bikes cables will interfere with the part that clamps to the handlebar.
I did see there's another method to connect to the Triple Clamp. Any input on that would be appreciated. ( Clearing cables, interference, etc. )

Any links to specific guards that would work on the Gen-2.
I'd like a shield as large as possible for wind protection.
larry31,
On your Gen 2, you just remove the bar end weight and bolt the aluminum spine to the that bolt hole. Your grips are already 'open-ended' and the bar end is plugged and tapped. No additional insert required.

The inner bracketry varies with brands and I'm of little help.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guards

Anybody have experience with triple clamp mounting?

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
I've found Tusk handguards readily mountable on my Generation 1; crashworthy and affordable.

From Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.
+1 for the Tusk hand guards. Mounted a set for my brother and after I was done I was jealous they weren't on my bike. Also a Gen 1.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Those third gear ^^ look very much like the Acerbis model I posted the other day in this thread and fit the same way. The third gear appear to be vented. The Acerbis were $125, plus the LED kit is $30. The third gear with the lights is $28.26 converted to $US. That's a big difference. If someone were in the market for that type of handguard it would be hard to pass up.

Was that Tusk install by KLR4evr on a Gen2 or Gen1?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hand Guards

mine just go in the ends of the bars with a expansion collar thats provided with it ... no other mods required ...

this is the mob i use for all my stuff in AUS ....Motorcycle Hand Guards | Motorbike Handguards | Dirtbike Hand Guards - Third Gear
Thanks for the tip. I took a chance and ordered a set for my Gen-2.
Hope they will fit. They look good, and the price is right.

( FWIW: My wife's son & family moved "down-Under", about 20 years ago, for her job. Raised both kids there, and love it there. He makes guitars and she does computer programming in-and-around the area.
I got to visit your beautiful country back in 1997. Got to tour Sydney, and surrounding area.)

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I took a chance and ordered a set for my Gen-2.
Hope they will fit. They look good, and the price is right.

( FWIW: My wife's son & family moved "down-Under", about 20 years ago, for her job. Raised both kids there, and love it there. He makes guitars and she does computer programming in-and-around the area.
I got to visit your beautiful country back in 1997. Got to tour Sydney, and surrounding area.)
larry31,
Have you received and installed your hand guards yet? pics?

I kind of like the single mounting, solid design and size of these BarkBuster Storm 7S's.
Barkbusters Storm S7 Single Sided Handguard Mount Kit 6/8mm Threaded End Inserts - RevZilla

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts