Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm lookiing to replace my handguards on my 2005 KLR. Im looking for something that offers as much or more wind protection as the stock ones but protect levers and hands from trees , the ground etc. Moose?, barkbusters? Other?
Thanks gents

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I've seen this done:

Install TUSK aluminum handguards (no plastic); then . . . with SHEET METAL SCREWS, affix the OEM Kawasaki bat-wing wind deflectors to the bent flat aluminum handguard bars . . .

Doesn't look bad, and . . . without Hippo Hands, don't think you'll get better wind protection.

Didn't opt for this option, myself; instead--Tusk handguards; Tusk OEM plastic; plus . . . Tusk SPOILERS; this last item, $ 9.95-or-so a pair, easily replaceable in the event of road rash.

Tusk handguards have proven effective, economical, and versatile in installation, in my experience; YMMV! :)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
What Damocles said, BUT also, add 2" duct tape to top and bottom of hand guards!! Nothing better!!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Kinda hard to put the concept of my previous post in words; here are some pictures:

Tusk handguards; about $ 30:

As mentioned, I saw a guy's setup consisting of these handguards, with the OEM Kawasaki plastic wind deflectors screwed to the metal bars; full protection, plenty of room for lever actuation, and--wind protection equal to stock.

Here is the basic Tusk handguard shield:

Looks o.k., but . . . truth be told, doesn't have nearly as much wind protection as the stock wind deflectors.

Finally, here are the Tusk Spoilers:

These goodies provide a little more wind protection, but . . . their main advantage: Replaceable for $ 9.99 a pair! Pre-drilled, the spoilers screw into pre-threaded holes in the handguards shown in the first picture in this post.

Quality handguards may exist at lower prices than Rocky Mountain ATVMC's Tusk products, but--I haven't forum 'em, yet.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I bought the aluminum from somewhere and some brand (I don't quite recall), but it required bending to get it to fit. I'd name names, but I don't want to mistakenly implicate the wrong party. Mine aren't Tusk, for whatever that's worth.

Then I took a $4 small black plastic trashcan from Target, and cut two giant windguards out of it, punched some holes in them with a flathead screwdriver, and ziptied it onto the aluminum. On the positive side, they provide excellent wind protection in the winter.

Looks at least partially horrible, but... KLR. Plus my late grandfather loved DIY shtuff like this ("You have a 2x4 and a C clamp—so you already have a spring compressor.") and I like to think he's looking down on all this with a smile.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I won't gainsay the wind protection available from the OEM (stock) "elephant ears," but: If you want real and effective wind protection, even in below-freezing temperatures, I commend to you . . . Hippo Hands!

Mine fit over the Tusk handguards with spoilers, and--with heated gloves inside, they're a "toaster oven!"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the 'Quad Boss' version of the winter mitts. they are awesome. Im pretty warm blooded, so even at temps in the teens it takes about half an hour for my hands to start getting cold, even with light work gloves. I took the stock guards and mirrors off, and with a little manipulation located where the holes for mirrors would be. Cut the correct size holes and snapped in some 2 piece black plastic grommets I got from the craft store. Put the mitts on and wind the mirrors back in.
When those come off I'm still looking for a handguard / brush guard that's as good as stock for wind protection, but stronger, like some of the suggestions above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts