Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a 2003 model & after lowering it I'm having fun with it. Only problem so far is the vibration in the handle bars. Up to 50 mph it's not bad, but above that the vibration starts to make my hands numb. I put some weights into the end of the handle bars which helped a little. I've ordered some Grip Puppies also. If these don't help out I'm thinking I might have to get some different handle bars. Anyone have some different solutions. I know it's a single & it's probably impossible to eliminate all the vibration.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Loosen your grip. Gripping too tight is often times a big problem for causing hand numbness. I like to ride with the fingers of my left clutch hand riding ontop of the clutch lever and my right hand fingers on the front brake lever. I use a cramp buster on the throttle to allow me to use my palm to apply the throttle input. Try to ride as loose as possible and I think you might find it is not too bad.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I don't notice it, but as DX mentioned, there's no reason for a death grip.. Also, I run Answer CR High Bend aluminum handlebars, which are thicker and might resonate less than the stock bars??

Try grips, and bar ends if you wish.. The bar ends might do more good than the grips.. If that doesn't work, pony up $50 or so for a set of aluminum bars.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i installed a set of protaper se atv highs on my KLR, filled them with #8 lead shot, and added some progrips the night before a 400 mile trip. i must say this improved my riding comfort greatly compared to stock bars.
found the bars for $45 here, http://www.supersportsracing.com/.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I have an 08 it came with bar weights mounted in rubber i have not had the privilege of riding the older models but you can feel the difference in touching the weight and then the bar some times i find myself griping tighter than i need to i agree with DX and paper lighten up the death grip it help greatly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts