Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a drop the handle bar seems slightly out of adjustment. The bars them selves seem fine, the top tripple clamps seem twisted to the right. Whats the process to sort that out?

Crash

·
Lifetime Member
2,481 Posts
I haven't done it on my KLR, but in the past when I've wiped out dirt bikes it seems that the forks will twist in the triples a bit causing the bike to want to go sideways like the handlebars are bent or something... On smaller bikes (250's) I've been able to correct this by straddling the front tire so it cant move and then grabbing my handlebars and twisting them back and forth a few times. Usually lined things back up.

I'm guessing you could also jack the bike up so the front end is off the ground and then loosen the 4 pinch bolts on the triples to let the forks straighten back out? I've never had to do it this way, but I'm thinking it would work?

This guy seems to explain it better than me... Even though he's doing it on a 'Busa

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
650Stew explained the issue (didn't watch the video).

I find it best to jack the bike up to take weight off the front end because that makes the fork clamps less critical. If the bike is sitting on the side stand and the clamps are loosened too much, the clamps can slide down on the fork tubes. Often the gaiters will resist this and not a big thing but adds to the problems.

Regardless, simply holding the front wheel straight and use the bars to pull then back to center. Torque wrench on the clamp bolts. FWIW, once in a while someone concludes that over tightening the fork clamp bolts will prevent this from happening but can strip/break the bolts and allowing the forks to rotate under high strain isn't a bad thing, IMO.HIH

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
They refused to book the bike into the service department and realign the front end? Or refused to correct it without charge? It couldn't be considered to be a warranty issue so the distinction is important.

Two dealers refused to help so I am going to have to give this a try.

Crash

1 - 5 of 5 Posts