Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Fuel tank

Well I just had to try them out, since heated grips are further down on the priority list of farkles. Rode two hours in 40F dry weather, and they did a fair job. They do “leak” air on the throttle side, so the last 40 minutes my thumb and first two fingers got mighty chilly. I decided to forgo using disposable hand warmers today just to see how well they work. They are DEFINITELY not for inexperienced riders. It felt like my hands were buried in thick mud, just using a turn signal was a chore (I did have my riding gloves on because ATGATT). Planning to ride several days next weekend in similar weatherand wanted to test things out. Also, I had to take my hand guards off to get them to fit. Granted, these are $20 Chinazon mitts, but I might try my hand at modifying them some so I can keep the guards on.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,201 Posts
^^^What he said!
I do not like wearing insulated winter gloves while riding, as I prefer to have a good feeling & grip of the controls. Those would definitely be a no-go for me.
Oxford heated grips all the way baby (y)

·
Registered
2005 KLR650
199 Posts
I just bought a set of 3/4 mitts from OBR ADV Gear. They do need guards installed to work correctly. This morning will be my first ride with them. It'll be 35F out.

I recently grabbed a set of second hand Dianese gore-tex gloves for cheap. They're not insulated outside of the normal thin liner and the gore-tex liner, but that makes them more insulated than my other gloves which are good down to about 50F. These were pretty damn cold on a 40F commute, definitely wouldn't have been OK for longer than 30min. I'm hoping the bar mitts will knock enough of the edge off to keep my fingers from freezing.

·
Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The note from your kid is the best addition to your bike.
I found that on the bike seat right before a long weekend trip I took🙂. I’m a very fortunate man.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am actually looking for this but a bit concern if it can hinder the operation of controls. Looks like it's best to have the bark busters on. But then again the hole where it attaches to the handlebar is quite big.
Jeffbezon.com has several types I believe.
It definitely makes reaching the control buttons difficult. Clutch, brake and throttle aren’t really affected.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought a set of 3/4 mitts from OBR ADV Gear. They do need guards installed to work correctly. This morning will be my first ride with them. It'll be 35F out.

I recently grabbed a set of second hand Dianese gore-tex gloves for cheap. They're not insulated outside of the normal thin liner and the gore-tex liner, but that makes them more insulated than my other gloves which are good down to about 50F. These were pretty damn cold on a 40F commute, definitely wouldn't have been OK for longer than 30min. I'm hoping the bar mitts will knock enough of the edge off to keep my fingers from freezing.
Looking forward to the full report when you get them tested.

·
Registered
562 Posts
There's nothing like having 'heat' coming from the grips. It's so well worth it you'll say to yourself "why didn't I do it sooner". It's extra work but it seriously pays dividends when it's cold out.
Wearing my winter gloves with the grip heaters on it feels like I have my hands infront of a fireplace. On the 'high' setting it can get almost too hot to hold the bars. But that's a nice 'toasty' feeling when it's super cold out. I wouldn't be able to ride without them. My hands are so bad that my fingers stop moving in the cold making it impossible to work any of the controls.

Many of you probably saw my post about this but here's the pic again of what I installed, it's an easy install especially when using grip glue. Under 50$ for everything(money well spent) trust me. Best wishes
Automotive exterior Asphalt Font Road surface Automotive design

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,230 Posts
Up until buying my gen 3 klr, I never had heated grips. I installed a set oxford adventure grips and it's a game changer. 5 levels of temperature control is nice. I even use them when it's 65 degrees. They pay for themselves the first time you get caught riding in the rain. Neuropathy in both hands so keeping them warm reduces cramping and pain.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's nothing like having 'heat' coming from the grips. It's so well worth it you'll say to yourself "why didn't I do it sooner". It's extra work but it seriously pays dividends when it's cold out.
Wearing my winter gloves with the grip heaters on it feels like I have my hands infront of a fireplace. On the 'high' setting it can get almost too hot to hold the bars. But that's a nice 'toasty' feeling when it's super cold out. I wouldn't be able to ride without them. My hands are so bad that my fingers stop moving in the cold making it impossible to work any of the controls.

Many of you probably saw my post about this but here's the pic again of what I installed, it's an easy install especially when using grip glue. Under 50$ for everything(money well spent) trust me. Best wishes
View attachment 38072
Link to products?

·
Registered
2005 KLR650
199 Posts
Looking forward to the full report when you get them tested.
Short review: Very happy with them. Rode to work this morning in 35F, 75mph for about 20min. Fingers were cold, but not frozen.

I wanted something to keep the wind off my hands, but less obtrusive than the full mitts I've seen elsewhere. They do the job I need them to. They're not going to keep your hands warm, but they'll keep them from freezing. You'll still need some semi-insulated gloves behind them, though.
I would be able to tolerate a day ride that started out at freezing temp as long as it warmed up a bit later. Sub-freezing or longer rides at near-freezing temps, I'd certainly want grip heaters. I may still want them, but they might go on the Christmas wish list.

I'll post a full review later.

·
Registered
297 Posts

How many watts per pair?

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,201 Posts
Up until buying my gen 3 klr, I never had heated grips. I installed a set oxford adventure grips and it's a game changer. 5 levels of temperature control is nice. I even use them when it's 65 degrees. They pay for themselves the first time you get caught riding in the rain. Neuropathy in both hands so keeping them warm reduces cramping and pain.
Same here. I have yet to crank my Oxford’s all the way up to 100%, and I’ve ridden in 20F which felt more like 0F when going 65mph.
Those suckers get HOT!

Reactions: Reveille and Fepony

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,731 Posts
Grip heaters are a lot better than nothing, and very convenient, but my preference is for heated glove liners. Not heated gloves, but the liners. You can put them in your favorite pair of loose-fitting gloves and that's better than heated grips, because they warm your whole hand, especially the top of your hand, which is what's exposed to the cold wind stream. Try 'em.

If you use a heated jacket, almost all of those have connectors for gloves/glove liners, which makes plugging in easy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My three previous bikes came with factory heated grips, so installing them on the KLR was never in question...I absolutely must have them. I considered using the OEM Kawa grips (~ $260 for the parts), I went with Oxford Heaterz kit for $89 off Amazon, instead. For the price, I expected "decent" performance from the Oxfords. In truth, they work better than the factory ones on my previous BMW, FJR, and Tracer GT. Installation is simple.**

** I chose to remove the tank, but didn't have to. I also spliced into a live switched wire for power, but didn't have to. The kit is designed to connect two leads directly to the battery terminals, and will automatically shut down to prevent battery drain (or so they say).

** The instructions call to "dry fit" the grips before applying glue. I found that it's important to be able to dry fit them all the way on EASILY before gluing. This required some serious sanding down of the throttle tube to be able to slide the Oxford on. The glue that comes with the kit dries surprisingly fast. So fast that I messed up the clutch side grip. Had to order a replacement L side grip from Revzilla...$46 wasted. I'll be using E6000 glue on the replacement, dries much slower, allows a few extra seconds to twist the grip to the best angle to avoid contact with clutch/brake levers.

Still, these Oxfords are a no brainer bargain IMO.

·
Registered
2002 KLR 650
310 Posts
Heated grips only draw 5 amps on high. Jump off your horn circuit (brown wire) . This circuit is switched through the key. I have a riding buddy who has bar muffs and really likes them. he can wear his summer gloves in the winter. I'm a heated grip and thin palmed winter glove guy though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Reactions: SirMarksAllot

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've done some long distance travel (Chicago to Peru to far) and I could not have made the trip without heated grips. Going st high elevation in the Andes, especially during a rain, just isn't possible without them. They are essential for me. I like to do about 10 hours a day if riding and the grips are simply necessary. I'm sure heated vest, gloves boots etc would be even better but I'd don't want the hassle of plugging in more gear and more complexity.

Heated grips are key for long distance travel.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts