Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
View attachment 38071
Well I just had to try them out, since heated grips are further down on the priority list of farkles. Rode two hours in 40F dry weather, and they did a fair job. They do “leak” air on the throttle side, so the last 40 minutes my thumb and first two fingers got mighty chilly. I decided to forgo using disposable hand warmers today just to see how well they work. They are DEFINITELY not for inexperienced riders. It felt like my hands were buried in thick mud, just using a turn signal was a chore (I did have my riding gloves on because ATGATT). Planning to ride several days next weekend in similar weatherand wanted to test things out. Also, I had to take my hand guards off to get them to fit. Granted, these are $20 Chinazon mitts, but I might try my hand at modifying them some so I can keep the guards on.
The gloves are $20 but the note is Priceless"

· Registered
179 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to plumb some exhaust to run through your hollow handlebars to have them warm up, and maybe have a valve to control the heat. If not the exhaust, maybe the coolant.

Just need to figure out the most practical way to do it and whether it's even possible.

· Premium Member
12,055 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to plumb some exhaust to run through your hollow handlebars to have them warm up, and maybe have a valve to control the heat. If not the exhaust, maybe the coolant.

Just need to figure out the most practical way to do it and whether it's even possible.
Maybe if you used some of the exhaust AIS plumbing, without the vacuum control valve.
I'll only suggest that the throttle side should be your inlet & the LH side be the outlet. Because of the insulating effect of the plastic throttle twister. ;)

· Registered
139 Posts

Like the old air cooled VW bugs that ran hot air off the exhaust manifold into the cab. As you can imagine they sometimes leaked exhaust into the cab, time to turn off the heater/defroster.

· Registered
177 Posts
I bought snowmobile mitts that did not have cut outs for the mirrors. By making a hole just big enough for the mirrors, I get very little air through that side of the mitts. The handle bar opening has a cinch cord that closes pretty tight around the cable ends. My hands were toasty warm riding home in the 42' rain rain last Tuesday.

Reactions: SirMarksAllot

· Registered
177 Posts

· Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I went ahead and got the Oxford heated grips. Almost 600 miles this weekend in temps below 46F. My hands were toasty warm in the mitts with the heated grips for the 200 mile ride over to a National Forest in north Mississippi. Took the mitts off while trail riding and realized that I need better gloves! Next year I’m getting a heated vest too!!!

· Registered
300 Posts
Grip heaters are a lot better than nothing, and very convenient, but my preference is for heated glove liners. Not heated gloves, but the liners. You can put them in your favorite pair of loose-fitting gloves and that's better than heated grips, because they warm your whole hand, especially the top of your hand, which is what's exposed to the cold wind stream. Try 'em.

If you use a heated jacket, almost all of those have connectors for gloves/glove liners, which makes plugging in easy.
I've never had heated grips but rode a bike with one. Like you said it heats only the palm which is not exposed to the wind and since I wore glove the heat is not 100% fully transferred to palm. Not very effective in my opinion.

· Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,744 Posts
That's my experience. Of course heated grips are more convenient, since you just have to flip a switch, but with heated gloves or liners you have to plug them in and unplug them before you get off the bike. But if you want warm hands, I think they are more than worth the extra step or two.

· Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That's my experience. Of course heated grips are more convenient, since you just have to flip a switch, but with heated gloves or liners you have to plug them in and unplug them before you get off the bike. But if you want warm hands, I think they are more than worth the extra step or two.
My friend had rechargeable heated gloves with him this weekend and he said they worked like a champ. Can charge them from a USB port and they last for about 6-8 hours. No wires.

· Registered
177 Posts
Rode to work this morning with my mitts on and light summer gloves, hands were toasty warm. If I had heated grips my hands would probably sweat.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
107 Posts
Same here. I have yet to crank my Oxford’s all the way up to 100%, and I’ve ridden in 20F which felt more like 0F when going 65mph.
Those suckers get HOT!
Did you have any issues "FITTING" the grips to the Bars?

The instructions tell you to "Fit" the grips to the Bar on the left side and the Throttle Tube on the right side. It says to use sand paper and files to remove material until the Grips are able to be slid on the Bars easily, then you install them with the "Grip Glue" which in their case is SUPER GLUE.

How much "Fitting" did you have to do? How (what did you use & how) did you perform the "Fitting"?

I'm use to installing Grips where you put the Grip Glue on them and slide the Grip(s) into place, job done. I got these "Fitted" to where I felt they slid on "easy". I went to install the Throttle side, got the glue in the grip, started sliding it on and.... 1/2 the way on it stopped solid. The grip would NOT move AT ALL! The Throttle Grip was SUPER GLUED in the 1/2 way on position.

NEW Bike & NEW Oxford Kit with the Throttle Grip glued 1/2 way on, ME = NOT a Happy Camper!!!!!

Tips, thoughts....

SORRY to the OP for the slight hijacking of the thread!

Willie

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

The instructions tell you to "Fit" the grips to the Bar on the left side and the Throttle Tube on the right side. It says to use sand paper and files to remove material until the Grips are able to be slid on the Bars easily, then you install them with the "Grip Glue" which in their case is SUPER GLUE.

How much "Fitting" did you have to do? How (what did you use & how) did you perform the "Fitting"?

I'm use to installing Grips where you put the Grip Glue on them and slide the Grip(s) into place, job done. I got these "Fitted" to where I felt they slid on "easy". I went to install the Throttle side, got the glue in the grip, started sliding it on and.... 1/2 the way on it stopped solid. The grip would NOT move AT ALL! The Throttle Grip was SUPER GLUED in the 1/2 way on position.

NEW Bike & NEW Oxford Kit with the Throttle Grip glued 1/2 way on, ME = NOT a Happy Camper!!!!!

Tips, thoughts....

Willie
I used a dremel, made sure they slid on fairly easy, then got them hot. One I used a hair dryer and the other I just plugged in and turned on high. That slight expansion made then slide on even easier. Then I glued them.

I’d contact Oxford and see if they will send you another throttle side. Not sure if debonder for cyanoacrylate will attack the plastic of the throttle tube, but it shouldn’t because it comes in a plastic bottle at hobby model shops. Might have to cut the new grip off😬 if that fails.

Maybe someone else has a better idea. Keep us posted.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
107 Posts
I used a dremel, made sure they slid on fairly easy, then got them hot. One I used a hair dryer and the other I just plugged in and turned on high. That slight expansion made then slide on even easier. Then I glued them.

I’d contact Oxford and see if they will send you another throttle side. Not sure if debonder for cyanoacrylate will attack the plastic of the throttle tube, but it shouldn’t because it comes in a plastic bottle at hobby model shops. Might have to cut the new grip off😬 if that fails.

Maybe someone else has a better idea. Keep us posted.
Thank you for your reply!

So.... there is a bit more to my story. After the throttle side grip froze 1/2 the way on, I stopped to collect myself. :mad: Then I grabbed my 4 1/2" grinder with a thin fiber cutting wheel on it. I carefully cut my NEW Oxford Heated Grip off the throttle tube. My next step was to contact the fine folks at Oxford in England. I sent them the details outlined above and some additional info over a number of e-mails and days. Right about the point where I thought they were going to say "sorry for the problems, we will send a new grip", they dropped me like a hot potato and said I'd have to go through my selling dealer. Keep in mind I had spent days sending info and photos at their request.

I purchased my Oxford EVO Adventure Heated Grips from Amazon. Per the request of Oxford, I let Amazon know all of the "See Above"! At first, Amazon started down the "sorry about your luck" road. I restated my case and pointed THEM toward OXFORD. After some friction, Amazon sent me a whole new kit N/C!

I now have the new Grip(s) and want to be 100% SURE I do NOT screw this install up!!!

Thank you for your suggestions! Plugging them in is a good idea! I've got all the wiring done. I was using a Heat Gun carefully on LOW to warm things up before in an attempt to ensure things went easy as these are both rubber & plastic.

Willie

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thank you for your reply!

So.... there is a bit more to my story. After the throttle side grip froze 1/2 the way on, I stopped to collect myself. :mad: Then I grabbed my 4 1/2" grinder with a thin fiber cutting wheel on it. I carefully cut my NEW Oxford Heated Grip off the throttle tube. My next step was to contact the fine folks at Oxford in England. I sent them the details outlined above and some additional info over a number of e-mails and days. Right about the point where I thought they were going to say "sorry for the problems, we will send a new grip", they dropped me like a hot potato and said I'd have to go through my selling dealer. Keep in mind I had spent days sending info and photos at their request.

I purchased my Oxford EVO Adventure Heated Grips from Amazon. Per the request of Oxford, I let Amazon know all of the "See Above"! At first, Amazon started down the "sorry about your luck" road. I restated my case and pointed THEM toward OXFORD. After some friction, Amazon sent me a whole new kit N/C!

I now have the new Grip(s) and want to be 100% SURE I do NOT screw this install up!!!

Thank you for your suggestions! Plugging them in is a good idea! I've got all the wiring done. I was using a Heat Gun carefully on LOW to warm things up before in an attempt to ensure things went easy as these are both rubber & plastic.

Willie
Mine would slide easily on/off before I glued them, while hot. There was slight resistance when cold. I forgot to mention, I used 800 grit sandpaper to smooth the surface a little as a final step before installation.

· Registered
56 Posts

Tips, thoughts....

Willie
See post # 16 re my install where I messed up the clutch side grip. And how much throttle tube I had to sand off to allow for a dry fit (important!).

Today I finished installing the replacement grip. Getting the ruined one off was fiddly, but I stumbled into an easy method. At first, I was trying to slice off the rubber exterior, bit by bit for 20 minutes, which was futile. Beneath the rubber outer shell is a hard layer of 'something' that contains the heating wire. The outer rubber layer is bonded to the inner shell to the point where they cannot be easily separated from each other. The good news is that I didn't have to separate them. Out of sheer frustration I tried a hammer and a flat screw driver like a chisel at the outside edge....bingo. The inner shell just split open the whole length and just fell off the bar. And it took off almost all of the glue with it. Quick clean up with goof off, then re-sanded for an easy dry fit. Except this time I used E6000 instead of that crap that comes with kit.

In your case, on the throttle side, the chisel method might work without ruining the tube. Good luck!

· Registered
2022 KLR650
107 Posts
See post # 16 re my install where I messed up the clutch side grip. And how much throttle tube I had to sand off to allow for a dry fit (important!).

Today I finished installing the replacement grip. Getting the ruined one off was fiddly, but I stumbled into an easy method. At first, I was trying to slice off the rubber exterior, bit by bit for 20 minutes, which was futile. Beneath the rubber outer shell is a hard layer of 'something' that contains the heating wire. The outer rubber layer is bonded to the inner shell to the point where they cannot be easily separated from each other. The good news is that I didn't have to separate them. Out of sheer frustration I tried a hammer and a flat screw driver like a chisel at the outside edge....bingo. The inner shell just split open the whole length and just fell off the bar. And it took off almost all of the glue with it. Quick clean up with goof off, then re-sanded for an easy dry fit. Except this time I used E6000 instead of that crap that comes with kit.

In your case, on the throttle side, the chisel method might work without ruining the tube. Good luck!
Those little wires inside the grips become very dangerous after you use a 4 1/2" cutting wheel to cut the grip down to the throttle tube. I cut down to the throttle tube with my 4 1/2" grinder along the length of the grip. Then I used a wide blade screw driver and pried the grip off the tube. Those little wires that make the heat are very rigid stainless steel that love to poke holes in you once you cut them!!!!

Willie

Reactions: 2WHLOZK
21 - 40 of 55 Posts