Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
I'd recommend sanding the "ridges' off the throttle tube so that it is smooth all the way around. I did this to allow the heating element to sit flat against the tube without any airspace. It should also help reduce the diameter making it easier to get the grip in place.

I still prefer the Tusk heater kit because it allows the use of just about any MX grips without affecting the heating elements.

I agree, using the E6000 would provide a substantial increase in working time.

Best wishes

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,221 Posts
Did you have any issues "FITTING" the grips to the Bars?
YES! I made the mistake of using the supplied super glue, and the right-side grip set before I was able to slide it all the way on.
I notified Amazon of the issue, and they supplied me a new Oxford grip free of charge. Couldn’t believe it!

The second go-around, I used E6000 and it worked flawlessly.
I would NOT recommend using super glue on motorcycle grips.

Once you slide them on all the way, trim the ends and your good to go.

Reactions: MN Willie

· Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
YES! I made the mistake of using the supplied super glue, and the right-side grip set before I was able to slide it all the way on.
I notified Amazon of the issue, and they supplied me a new Oxford grip free of charge. Couldn’t believe it!

I didn’t trim the ends of the Oxfords yet, but added a couple of lock washers to the bar end bolt to clear the grip. I think the bars vibrate a bit more now, so I may wind up trimming them down.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
106 Posts

THANK YOU to ALL for your replies!

It would appear the Oxford Heated Grips are a good product as many people run them. It's odd that they don't caution people more about the chance of total failure, if all the planets are not in perfect alignment during the install process.

I ordered some of the E6000 Hobby Glue from the Evil Empire (AKA Amazon). I'm going to fire up the Fireplace in the Garage to warm things up and spend some quality time "Fitting" the 2nd set of Grips to my Bike (Throttle side). I like the "turn them on to heat the up". So simple.... I was so burnt out from sanding and heating with my heat gun trying not to burn anything, it didn't even hit me!

Its started to go full Tundra up here so.... I'd like to get these bad boys installed and heating my old-arthritic hands!

Thanks again!

Willie

Reactions: SirMarksAllot

· Registered
56 Posts

Dang, why didn't I think of that! Could've saved myself $46. (slaps self upside the head)

· Registered
56 Posts
Been researching mitts lately, looks like I'll probably be going with the Hippo "Rogue" mitts, instead. Twice the price, but they're more rigid and have a strap inside for mounting to hand guards with a single-point attachment (I like my stock guards).

I like Hippo, good quality stuff. Had a pair of fleece-lined ones back in '97 for my Bandit 1200. Rode all year in the CO Rockies with them and just summer gloves underneath, no heated grips. Plenty warm enough, they were.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,221 Posts
Been researching mitts lately, looks like I'll probably be going with the Hippo "Rogue" mitts, instead. Twice the price, but they're more rigid and have a strap inside for mounting to hand guards with a single-point attachment (I like my stock guards).

I like Hippo, good quality stuff. Had a pair of fleece-lined ones back in '97 for my Bandit 1200. Rode all year in the CO Rockies with them and just summer gloves underneath, no heated grips. Plenty warm enough, they were.
For the price of those Hippo Rogue mitts, you might want to give heated-grips another consideration.
There really isn’t a comparable substitute to having electrical heat warming your hands.

You can have super thick gloves & handlebar mitts, and I’m betting your hands will still be cold on a winter ride.
I’ve ridden in 20F with nothing more than a thin pair of motorcycle gloves & the Oxford heated grips cranked to 80%. They work well

Reactions: Biggs3118

· Registered
56 Posts
For the price of those Hippo Rogue mitts, you might want to give heated-grips another consideration.
There really isn’t a comparable substitute to having electrical heat warming your hands.

You can have super thick gloves & handlebar mitts, and I’m betting your hands will still be cold on a winter ride.
I’ve ridden in 20F with nothing more than a thin pair of motorcycle gloves & the Oxford heated grips cranked to 80%. They work well
I already have the Oxfords installed on my KLR. Have had heated grips on all my bikes since 1999. Even so, there is still much room for comfort improvement due to heat loss on the top of hands. Hand guards help a lot, but....

I mentioned that Hippos worked great for me (sans heated grips, or even hand guards) when I rode all year while living in the CO Rockies. If I could get the bike from the garage to the paved street, I was on the bike with the Hippos and summer gloves. Just had to ride between 10:00 AM, and 2:00PM, when the water rivlets on the roads began to freeze. I quit bothering with bulky winter gloves back in '97.

· Registered
351 Posts

That's definitely not been my experience. I have Oxford grips on two bikes, and OEM heated grips on a third. In temps below 45° or so, the outside of my hands and my thumbs get really cold, even with grips set at 100%, and wearing cold weather gauntlet gloves. I've found that for cold weather riding, I'd rather have muffs over heated grips any day. Of course, the combination of both is the real answer if riding in colder weather. There's no denying that muffs are cumbersome, and can interfere with controls though.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,221 Posts
That's definitely not been my experience. I have Oxford grips on two bikes, and OEM heated grips on a third. In temps below 45° or so, the outside of my hands and my thumbs get really cold, even with grips set at 100%, and wearing cold weather gauntlet gloves. I've found that for cold weather riding, I'd rather have muffs over heated grips any day. Of course, the combination of both is the real answer if riding in colder weather. There's no denying that muffs are cumbersome, and can interfere with controls though.
Are you running with or without handguards?
Don’t have the same problem, but everyone’s tolerance to cold conditions varies I would imagine.

· Registered
56 Posts
Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at, too. Looking at the Hippo Rogues, they don't look like they'll be tall enough at their forward-most point to fit over my stock guards (no size specs on their site). So I emailed them about it before I place an order.

Here's what they had to say...

Your question: Hello, Will the Rogue be a good fit for my 2022 KLR 650 with the stock hand guards? They are single-point attached. Also, do the Rogues fold up for storage in panniers? TIA

Answer: The Rogues are a great fit on the KLR, as are the Backcountry if you prefer a smaller hand cover. There is an internal elastic sleeve that will slip right over your brush guards. The absolute best place to store your Hippo Hands is on your handlebars, if you do need to pack them away, we like to nest them into the bottom of a pannier, and pack "into" them. They take up very little space with this technique. Thanks for your inquiry!

Just looking at the Backcountry ones, I know those won't fit over my guards, they look about 4" tall at the ends...my guards measure fully 7" vertically at their highest point. I am not going to replace my OEM hand guards to accommodate any mitts, that's out.

Looks like it's back to plan A...the OBR's and fabbing side mounts for attaching (not difficult, really). Just waiting to hear back from OBR with some exact measurements. Cheers.

· Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at, too. Looking at the Hippo Rogues, they don't look like they'll be tall enough at their forward-most point to fit over my stock guards (no size specs on their site). So I emailed them about it before I place an order.

Here's what they had to say...

Your question: Hello, Will the Rogue be a good fit for my 2022 KLR 650 with the stock hand guards? They are single-point attached. Also, do the Rogues fold up for storage in panniers? TIA

Answer: The Rogues are a great fit on the KLR, as are the Backcountry if you prefer a smaller hand cover. There is an internal elastic sleeve that will slip right over your brush guards. The absolute best place to store your Hippo Hands is on your handlebars, if you do need to pack them away, we like to nest them into the bottom of a pannier, and pack "into" them. They take up very little space with this technique. Thanks for your inquiry!

Just looking at the Backcountry ones, I know those won't fit over my guards, they look about 4" tall at the ends...my guards measure fully 7" vertically at their highest point. I am not going to replace my OEM hand guards to accommodate any mitts, that's out.

Looks like it's back to plan A...the OBR's and fabbing side mounts for attaching (not difficult, really). Just waiting to hear back from OBR with some exact measurements. Cheers.
Look forward to pics once you’re done👍🏼

41 - 55 of 55 Posts