Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
A pipe cutter is relatively cheap. Regardless of the model of bar which you may choose, they can be shortened some. :)
You might look at Vintage Desert, CR High. RC High or ATV Mid in Renthal or ProTaper SE brands.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
they are also weak and have way too much pullback. I use Renthal RC-Hi's. ......I keep them at the stock width for my offroad use (for leverage) but you may want narrower for you street only use....just keep in mind you still need to keep enough control surface area to mount everything.

Dave

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you do little off road riding, consider a bar designed for a street bike. A characteristic of off road bars that irritates me (literally) is the bar ends are parallel to the road or even pointing up slightly at the ends.

When you are standing up with your hands down on the bars at hip level, that provides a good position for control. However, when sitting with hands at mid-chest level, that shape rotates your wrists and shoulders inward into an ergonomically awkward position that gets real annoying and even painful after hours of sitting in the saddle.

There are good ergonomic reasons that most street bikes, especially cruisers and touring bikes, have bars that curve downward at the ends. You will also see this design on old farmers plows. It’s not just a fashion statement.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Pro taper KX high works for me on the KLR, DRZ and the Super Tenere. Stock bars on the 701 seem great so far. But what works for me ergonomically may not be for you. Bars and ergos are a personal preference.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
But what works for me ergonomically may not be for you. Bars and ergos are a personal preference.
They are, but there is still a range of optimal bars for proper riding position......KTM stock bars are a good example of ones that work well for almost everyone. The real difficulty is that people like what they are used to so they try to find an aftermarket bar that emulates the bend of the stock KLR bars which isn't good.....worst is the guys coming from the cruiser scene; what they are used to are horrible offroad.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got the pro taper sport “high-washougal” bars. They feel amazing, I come from a mountain bike/dirt bike background and these bars feel right at home. Despite the name they are lower than the stock bars on a Gen2 and have a straighter sweep angle(which is a plus IMHO). The stock bars have a pretty intense sweep back, they’re like beach cruiser bars. The pro taper is right on the verge of being too narrow, it takes a bit of finagling to get all the controls to fit, but they fit non the less. Also the inside diameter is to small, so you need a tap and special bolt to get your hand guards mounted. But all in all they feel great, just be aware of those.....”things”

1 - 9 of 9 Posts