Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there many threads out there and I have wasted plenty of time searching. So I thought I would start a new one. I purchased my very low mile 2009 KLR650 this spring. Why 2009, well prices in this area are insane. A 2022 is cheaper than some of the used bikes. Anyway, the price was right.
I recently noticed the handle bars are tweaked. Why not before? Due to many motorcycle accidents, my right arm is longer than my left and a new bike feels out of wack. Anyway - I want to replace the bars. Rocky Mountain has a nice list of dimensions of many bars. The stock bars fit me perfectly, sitting and standing. Maybe an extra inch high would be ok, no more.

But, what do you do about the bar ends and anchor nut. I assume I will need new bar ends, grips and throttle housing.

any suggestions on a nice set up. Like I said, I don’t want to deviate too far from OEM, and most certainly not shorter, or less pull back!

thanks in advance
Larry

·
Registered
160 Posts
The stock bars are cheap steel bars, that's why they have the weights.
Quality aftermarket bars are made with better materials , no need for weights on the ends.
I have ProTaper ADV high bend bars, there probably 3" taller than stock and are very smooth .
Your controls will fit the new bars no need for new grips , unless you want to upgrade and I would.
I have the stock bars I took off my bike , they are straight, could use a coat of paint.
You pay the shipping and you can have them if you want.
You can add 1" risers to get the added height.
Eagle Mike sells 1 " risers and all his stuff is quality.
I'm in NC 28759 if you want to check on shipping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
i am almost certain I would not like a rise of 3”. One max. But then again I could be wrong. Yes I plan on up grading. So you don’t gain any vibration with the loss of bar ends.

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
169 Posts
I swapped them off for Pro Taper Evo Adventure (official name) handlebars.

Together with Roxx Anti Vibration risers.

Best mod , 👍👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jaimesix
The height looks good, but The pull back is more. I may give those a try. I can always add the risers later, but probably not. Thanks

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
169 Posts
I like them a lot. Here a couple side photos so you can compare. The EVO bar has less pullback. EVO versus stock.

Off course, it is a matter of personal comfort.
Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Fuel tank Wheel Tire Bicycle handlebar Vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DPelleteir
According to RM Handlebar information page:

Windham/RM Mid Bend 31.50" 3.90" 2.09"

I believe oem Height:3.90" - width:31.57" - pull back:2.13" but I could be wrong

That equates to .07 inches wider and I don’t know if the oem measurements include the bar ends. Narrower would be ok. Height is same, which works for me, for now. Pull back is .04 more. I am not sure I will be able to feel the difference. Less would be ok. But with two different reaches in my arms, I don’t think I can find a perfect fit. Like wearing size 10 on the left foot and size 11 on the right. 11 would be the best fit, but not perfect. I have been riding since 69 and own more bikes than I can recall, this is the first time I have ever went with an after market bar. Thanks for all the inputs. So far the klr650 is a sweet little bike to put around Whidbey Island on. Going to the far north next year. Looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
The data I saw had the protaper windham bend with 53mm of sweep/pullback (2.09") which is pretty close to my RC-Hi's at 55mm (2.17"), but stock bars have a pullback of 100mm (3.94") KLR650 FAQ . the bar dimensions on the FAQ page are for a Gen1 but I believe the Gen2's are the same, but perhaps a titch wider....and of couse the Gen2 has the bar end weights.

Dave

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
169 Posts
I bought a Windham handlebar at first, but it was too low for my taste, I am keeping it as a spare just in case I ever bend the one I have.
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
169 Posts
Yes, for added strength as well as vibration dissipation.

The Roxx raisers came equipped with sleeves that worked with the stock bar, sleeves that once removed allow for the larger bar to sit in. Check photos above.

The bar being stronger, needs no cross bar, which cleanses out the dashboard.

(y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts