Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
8 hours later and another 35 bucks in stainless screws and spacers i finally got damn guards to fit around controls and switches .. still aint right but it works for now ..

i took em on off 50 times today trying to find the right combo to clear levers and cables ony to interfere with cross brace on bars .

ii ended up having to use spacers and longer bolts on bracket to clear master cyl and clutch adjuster ..

still dont really clear very well but i can ride it now ..
bars are nice stout protapers but the moose racing large guards and brackets suck ass for street bike klr ..

i also ended up braking the guide on choke cable trying to swing guard up as i was tighning the brackets :t1202::t1202:

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I had a frustrating time installing hand guards too. You would think that with so many KLR's made that some manufacturer would make a KLR specific bracket and guard.

I've heard the Acerbis guards are easier and fit good.

·
Registered
376 Posts
8 hours later and another 35 bucks in stainless screws and spacers i finally got damn guards to fit around controls and switches .. still aint right but it works for now ..
I forgot the brand I bought, but I had to bend those puppies in a vice to get them where I wanted them. Zany.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are just to short on the bar end side . If i had just another inch the levers would clear beautifully. on the other end i uses a 1/2 aluminum spacer to clear master cylinder and clutch adjuster and had to buy 35 bucks worth of longer stainless screws ..ill prolly swap them out once i finder a better fitting set .. im ticked .. these were labeled as klr fitting .. took me 2 days and a broke choke cable ..

·
Registered
217 Posts
My new-to-me 2011 came with the Tusk Off-Road guards on what I believe are stock bars. Looks to me like a perfect fit and no marks from bending or whatever. I uploaded a photo of one to Photobucket but don't see an option to insert it here.

Lar.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
My new-to-me 2011 came with the Tusk Off-Road guards on what I believe are stock bars. Looks to me like a perfect fit and no marks from bending or whatever. I uploaded a photo of one to Photobucket but don't see an option to insert it here.

Lar.
biglar, I'd be interested in seeing the photo.

On Photobucket, click "Share" under the photo, and when the box pops up, select "Get Link Code." Put a checkmark in the box by "IMG for bulletin boards and forums." Check the "full size" box. Left-click and drag your mouse to highlight the link in the box. Right-click on the blue-highlighted text/link and select "copy" when the box pops up.

When you're back on the KLR forum page, left-click the yellow icon in the menu bar that looks like a mountain. Right click on the highlighted URL and another box will pop up. Choose "Paste." The photo should then show up in your post.

I open my browser twice and keep one on the KLR forum and the other on Photobucket. That way, you can keep your KLR forum reply open to edit while you fiddle around with the Photobucket.

I've been exploring options for some metal guards that would protect my levers but I would like to keep/alter the big stock hand guards and bolt them to the metal guards because I really like the stock plastic guards. The stock guards are very effective at keeping your hands warm and dry, but don't offer any effective protection for tipovers/crashes. I've been trying to examine guards that others have installed.

So far I've put this project off because I've done aftermarket guards on my other two DS bikes and it really sucked due to the problems you described.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Planalp, I'm working on it but don't get the "Share" under the photo. Tried it in Library and same thing. I did get a line under "Image Links" that gives a line titled "EM and IM, but when I click on it it just copies to somewhere. On the welcome page is a line saying, "Share with Friends," but it leads nowhere.

Maybe we're using different versions ??

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, I finally got it worked out and it won't let me post the URL to the picture cause I haven't posted to the forum 15 times.....and I think this is post 13.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hmmm........let's run up a couple more posts here and see if we can beat this.

I looked on google for Tusk off-road hand protectors and it came up with several dealers and pictures. Might be an easier way to go.

·
Registered
38 Posts

i took em on off 50 times today trying to find the right combo to clear levers and cables ony to interfere with cross brace on bars .

ii ended up having to use spacers and longer bolts on bracket to clear master cyl and clutch adjuster ..

still dont really clear very well but i can ride it now ..
bars are nice stout protapers but the moose racing large guards and brackets suck ass for street bike klr ..

i also ended up braking the guide on choke cable trying to swing guard up as i was tighning the brackets :t1202::t1202:
Hi Wayne. Are you referring to the Barkbuster brand handlebars and Barkbuster brand handguards? Please tell me exactly what you ordered from us. I'd like to see if there is something wrong with the kit so we can help others avoid this level of frustration.

Kevin from Twisted Throttle

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when i went to get reciept to give you parts number i found i was a dumb ass and it was happy trails bar kit not yours and i Apologize .

same time i ordered the new bar kit i also ordered your fuze block . Wich is awsome product by the way . and i got 2 confused

sorry once again ..

wayne

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quick update , mine didnt last long , i went out for quick trip this weekend and while i parked to take some pictures the kickstand failed again and fell over crushing clutch lever and moose guard onto lever first fall .. the clearences were already too tight so it had no place to give ..
also thier large guards barlley covered my hands even with heated grips felt cold at times in the hills .
with some trail side bending i was able to finish the great ride but moose guards do not fit my klr !!

anyone find any nice aftermarket levers ?

this week real barkbusters are on order .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts