Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Happy Trails has a mock up of their engine guards on the website:

I think they look pretty nice!
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Motorcycle

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
132 Posts
Yah not bad. Hard to tell from the mockup but it appears that the factory sliders are not incorporated into the design?

Reactions: Hvymax

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a new 22’ KLR. I am a novice rider and this is my first bike since being a teenager on dirt bikes. I have been hitting trails here in Florida where I live and every time I hit sandy patches on trails I drop my bike. I just recently had a hard hit hitting a sandy patch and broke my fairing, and two ribs. But I’m looking for crash bars other than the ones Kawasaki offers. Does anyone know of some really good brands that are making them for the 22’ model? I’m looking for anyone who has experience and don’t want to just trust google in my research

·
Registered
132 Posts
Why would one want that extra weight left on, from the too small factory guards anyways?
Fair question I suppose. From what I've read so far from Adventure owners that have dropped their bikes however I would question whether they are too small. A bunch have said that despite their size, they were all instrumental in saving the plastic. I'm not sure how much they weigh but I do find it interesting that weight is such a topic of discussion when it comes to this bike. It is a big adventure bike yet folks keep talking about it like they use it as a small dual sport or dirt bike. I suppose some can and will ride it like that but I'm thinking that most are like me and use it on pavement and every now and again fire roads where weight would be a non issue. I own a Jeep too and I'd love to think I'm some kind of hard core rock crawler but let's be honest I use it to go back and forth to the grocery store 90% of the time. Lol. YMMV but in my opinion the small sliders are every bit as consequential as you find them inconsequential.

·
Premium Member
10,775 Posts
But it won't Gain much to 'Double-Up', other than Weight. Which is not a helpful thing on two wheels.

Reactions: CC Cruiser

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just bought a new 22’ KLR. I am a novice rider and this is my first bike since being a teenager on dirt bikes. I have been hitting trails here in Florida where I live and every time I hit sandy patches on trails I drop my bike. I just recently had a hard hit hitting a sandy patch and broke my fairing, and two ribs. But I’m looking for crash bars other than the ones Kawasaki offers. Does anyone know of some really good brands that are making them for the 22’ model? I’m looking for anyone who has experience and don’t want to just trust google in my research
Ouch two ribs? Sounds like a heck or a fall. T-Rex racing has some coming out soon. Dirtracks.com has a set as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fair question I suppose. From what I've read so far from Adventure owners that have dropped their bikes however I would question whether they are too small. A bunch have said that despite their size, they were all instrumental in saving the plastic. I'm not sure how much they weigh but I do find it interesting that weight is such a topic of discussion when it comes to this bike. It is a big adventure bike yet folks keep talking about it like they use it as a small dual sport or dirt bike. I suppose some can and will ride it like that but I'm thinking that most are like me and use it on pavement and every now and again fire roads where weight would be a non issue. I own a Jeep too and I'd love to think I'm some kind of hard core rock crawler but let's be honest I use it to go back and forth to the grocery store 90% of the time. Lol. YMMV but in my opinion the small sliders are every bit as consequential as you find them inconsequential.
It’s my daily driver, it’s dry season in Florida until May. I bought this bike to commute back and forth to work until the daily rains start agin but I also love camping and was a jeep owner and bought this bike to continue getting to non pavement places I enjoy going. I am not a spec person and just am looking for some solid aftermarket protection to save me the cost of paying for parts I’ve already proven I’m gonna break

·
Registered
132 Posts
It’s my daily driver, it’s dry season in Florida until May. I bought this bike to commute back and forth to work until the daily rains start agin but I also love camping and was a jeep owner and bought this bike to continue getting to non pavement places I enjoy going. I am not a spec person and just am looking for some solid aftermarket protection to save me the cost of paying for parts I’ve already proven I’m gonna break
Yikes sorry to hear about your fairing and more importantly your ribs! I hope you heal quick! I am quasi in the same boat as you. I have the Adventure model and I know without a doubt that I'm going to set this thing on the ground eventually when I start venturing off road more. I am not a "novice" road rider (we all can continue to improve) but it's been 30 years since I was riding on a regular basis in the woods! Lol. I'd say i'm gonna be a bit rusty. I too am looking to add some engine/plastic protection but I'd like to leave the stock sliders in place along with whatever extra protection I buy. For that reason the T-Rex is looking good to me right now, but like the above we are all still waiting till they exist so we can get some real world feedback.
Which model KLR did you purchase?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yikes sorry to hear about your fairing and more importantly your ribs! I hope you heal quick! I am quasi in the same boat as you. I have the Adventure model and I know without a doubt that I'm going to set this thing on the ground eventually when I start venturing off road more. I am not a "novice" road rider (we all can continue to improve) but it's been 30 years since I was riding on a regular basis in the woods! Lol. I'd say i'm gonna be a bit rusty. I too am looking to add some engine/plastic protection but I'd like to leave the stock sliders in place along with whatever extra protection I buy. For that reason the T-Rex is looking good to me right now, but like the above we are all still waiting till they exist so we can get some real world feedback.
Which model KLR did you purchase?
I just have the basic KLR. No bells and whistles. I’ve had my ass parked in the saddle putting miles on it since I got it. 3400 miles in the two months I’ve had it getting experience. I will say, I wish I had the abs brakes, especially with all the careless drivers I deal with in the Tampa area.

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
160 Posts
I see that Happy Trails has a mock up of their engine guards on the website:

View attachment 32119
These might be the best looking I have seen so far.

·
Registered
08 KLR stock stock stock with doo-hickey.
95 Posts
The most important thing to protect when you slide-out or lose footing in the sand at less than 30mph is the radiator. Cracked plastics and dented tank and wiped-off lights will likely not make you walk home. The mounting-tab ripped out of your radiator will cause you to get home by some other means than your KLR. Wiping out above 30mph personal safety and avoiding sliding your body (ribs) into something hurtful is of utmost importance. Ribs are way more important than the radiator.

I have Dirtracks on my Gen2. I've slid-out and lost my footing a few times, a few gentle drops and these Dirtracks have performed well and haven't bent. Dirtracks can be ordered un-painted or powdercoated. I got mine un-painted, then primed and sprayed with bedliner.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
112 Posts
I see that Happy Trails has a mock up of their engine guards on the website

Happy Trails has been making great quality stuff for years. You can't go wrong with them. I put their OWYHEE 6" panniers and mount frame on my 2017. They are the best made panniers I've seen and the frame is rock solid. I have the SW Motech engine guards and skid plate that were on it when I bought it and they are well made too but I probably would have gone with Happy Trails if I was starting from scratch if for no other reason than the great customer experience I had with them and they are made here in the USA.

Just my 2cents.
KC

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Plant
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
10,775 Posts
Wiping out above 30mph personal safety and avoiding sliding your body (ribs) into something hurtful is of utmost importance. Ribs are way more important than the radiator.
That is about the Tallest Rib Protector that I have ever seen mounted on a KLR650. :)
My antique Maier 2 qt water bottle blocks my view of the Turn, Hi beam, Neutral lights on my Gen 1.

·
Registered
08 KLR stock stock stock with doo-hickey.
95 Posts
That "rib protector" is my third tankbag over more than 40 years of motorcycling, I wore the first two tankbags to tatters. This "Gears Canada" tankbag is by far the best quality and usefulness so far. Its a zip-out expander, and as pictured is holding a fullface helmet. Yes, when its expanded out I have to sit a bit tall to see the instruments over it. Highly recommended. $100cad.

To take the thread back to crash-bars, as is typical with my KLR purchases, after I buy something, put it on, try it out, I find something I wish I would have purchased instead. In the case of crash bars, the Dirtracks bars I bought appeared on some google-search. Now having ordered, received, and installed them, I find on the Dirtracks website that they also have a model of "full body" crash bars, (for all 3 gens) with a bar out front over the fender that connects the right bar to the left.

Looking closely at normal crash bars, they basically bolt to the frame at two points. Yes, the bars are welded high-strength steel tubing, but I look at them and think of dropping my iron-pig on those crash bars and asking myself "will they bend?" They haven't so far, but I haven't dropped it hard. But with the full-body crash bars, I would think the bars would be less likely to bend because the left bar is braced to the right. Bonus is that the full body crash bar gives you a handy mount point for a pair of LED supplemental lights.

I won't be removing my existing crash bars and giving them away on buy&sell and buying the full body set, but if I had to do it again, I would get the full-body. My experience in ordering and receiving the Dirtracks product was first rate.

For the original post about the Happy Trails guard bars, that fabricator has figured out a way to brace the bar in three places, and as they bolt together around the frame tube they do brace the left bar to right. Actual customers of Happy Trails speak highly of the customer experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The most important thing to protect when you slide-out or lose footing in the sand at less than 30mph is the radiator. Cracked plastics and dented tank and wiped-off lights will likely not make you walk home. The mounting-tab ripped out of your radiator will cause you to get home by some other means than your KLR. Wiping out above 30mph personal safety and avoiding sliding your body (ribs) into something hurtful is of utmost importance. Ribs are way more important than the radiator.

I have Dirtracks on my Gen2. I've slid-out and lost my footing a few times, a few gentle drops and these Dirtracks have performed well and haven't bent. Dirtracks can be ordered un-painted or powdercoated. I got mine un-painted, then primed and sprayed with bedliner.

View attachment 32163
Thanks man, I appreciate the tips. I laid down hard on my last outing and my fuel pump is turning on and making noise just sitting in the garage. I have to take it into the shop to get checked out. Any protection I can get to keep it functional is appreciated

·
Registered
11 Posts
Happy Trails has been making great quality stuff for years. You can't go wrong with them. I put their OWYHEE 6" panniers and mount frame on my 2017. They are the best made panniers I've seen and the frame is rock solid. I have the SW Motech engine guards and skid plate that were on it when I bought it and they are well made too but I probably would have gone with Happy Trails if I was starting from scratch if for no other reason than the great customer experience I had with them and they are made here in the USA.

Just my 2cents.
KC

View attachment 32165 View attachment 32166 View attachment 32168 View attachment 32169
Thanks for the tips man, I appreciate the guidance

·
Premium Member
10,775 Posts
I laid down hard on my last outing and my fuel pump is turning on and making noise just sitting in the garage.
Might I suggest that it is your Cooling Fan coming ON.
If you fell on the LH side, the radiator may be twisted, allowing the fan ring to contact the radiator. Continued operation has been known to rub a hole in the coolant tubes. Mylers Radiator Repair in Utah can straighten fairly severely twisted radaiators if need be & repair most any leak.
New radiators are VERY Expensive.

Best to inspect & tend to this possible issue, ASAP!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Might I suggest that it is your Cooling Fan coming ON.
If you fell on the LH side, the radiator may be twisted, allowing the fan ring to contact the radiator. Continued operation has been known to rub a hole in the coolant tubes. Mylers Radiator Repair in Utah can straighten fairly severely twisted radaiators if need be & repair most any leak.
New radiators are VERY Expensive.

Best to inspect & tend to this possible issue, ASAP!
I’m not a mechanic but it sounds like it’s coming from the tank, when I open the gas cap, it relieves the pressure and sound like opening a soda and the part that’s making the noise stops making the humming noise. I think it’s the fuel pump. I’m still recovering from the wreck and havnt had a chance to take it to the shop yet.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts