Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So around Christmas HF had these top loading cases on sale for under $40 each which I was reluctant to fall for but the design looks very good for hard bags so I thought I'd give them a try. Note the resettable combination lock latches. They resemble aluminum cases but are really some form of masonite covered with an aluminum foil. They do have an aluminum frame. Whether they will hold up to even highway travel remains to be seen. I don't have much good to say about most of my HF purchases.
I've loaded them each with 20lbs of dog food and so far so good. If I'm successful in uploading the pictures you can see I made some stiffeners from Home Depot 4' x 2" aluminum rule. Buying the rule rather than aluminum stock was about half the cost. The rules are 1/8" thick. I have them mounted on the Happy Trails soft luggage racks with their aluminum puck system which works very well.
In summary they are a nice size, and very functional. They don't interfere with a passenger. I doubt they would be waterproof. I doubt they would survive a crash.

Sorry about the small photo size. I've tried to enlarge but keep getting an error message about not being able to enter URLS until I have 15 posts.... that makes a lot of sense....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Harbor Freight Bag Update

As I stated in my original post, I didn't have much confidence in the quality of the HF cases. So I rode around for about a month with about 15 lbs of dog food in each bag. I was pleased to see they were holding up to that, though it was 80% on pavement but a fair share of washboard, pothole strewn gravel roads.

Last week I went on a MC camping trip in the wilds of the Nez Perce National Forest. This trip really put the bags to the test. This time loaded with about 15lbs of camping gear each. I was riding on some awful roads that looked more like dry creek beds, lots of boulders, etc. I'm pleased to say I'm back home, 1100 miles on the clock and the cases are good as new. So as they say on the internet, I guess I would recommend this product to a friend. At least if you mount them with the aluminum stiffeners as I did.

Sorry, I don't understand the procedure for uploading photos. Hope this works....

·
Lifetime Member
2,486 Posts
Hello :)

No trick to the photo thing, you just have to accumulate 15 posts before you can post photo's or URL's. It's a pain in the butt I know, but it's actually a very effective spam deterrent. It's just meant to keep spammers from making an account and then tossing up tons of links to their products. I'm not sure how the first small photo's made it through the filters, maybe because they're so small? Once you get the 15 posts thing out of the way most of us use Photobucket to post up the pics.

Here's a link to a test thread if you just want to throw up a bunch of post's to get your count up. http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=12677

·
Administrator
3,698 Posts
I don't think Google drive images will work here. PhotoBucket is your friend.

·
Registered
786 Posts

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Somewhat old thread, campfire!

With obsolete and overtaken-by-events posts recommending Photobucket (that is, posts made prior to Photobucket's rapine of its customers).

·
Registered
786 Posts
And thus another reason I ride a KLR...............................................

Just a little slow.

But now I wonder how it all turned out. The lost episode, the sequel that never happened, volume two missing.

Did johnr51 ever travel? Did he ever lose those cases on the road? Did they hold up? After only 5 posts, did he sell his KLR?

Tune in next decade for the conclusion

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread reading.

·
Premium Member
7,550 Posts
One never knows when "a blast from the past" might just re-ignite ones fire on the subject.

I may be a prime example. The excessive oil consumption of the Gen 2 models was what spurred me to finally join the forums.

It is possible that johnr51 will receive an e-mail notification because some of us seldom Un-subscribe from many quiet threads.

I enjoyed reading it, anyways.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Right, pdwestman!

johnr51 may now post an image on the "Test" thread, as recommended by campfire!

However . . . probably NOT supported by Photobucket, in this day and age.

:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Solid gear for the price, they also have imitation pelican cases that's what I put on mine. I've done some light trail work and plenty of highway time. holds up great!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looking back from 2018 and how your friend stabbed us all in the BACK haha
Not that I'd tell anyone to use Photobucket anymore, but there is an extension you can add to Google Chrome called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" that lets you view photobucket hosted photos and not their stupid ransom image.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts