Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
It is the best way to carry your bike...IF....the carrying vehicle hitch can deal with 3 times that weight pushing down on it when the truck goes over a good pothole or sharp dip in the road etc. I lost a bike way back when I was just a wipper snapper...I used to carry a 250 the same way on the back of my Datsun 510.....worked like a charm for months, then all of a sudden I heard this huge tearing ripping sound and a bang and I could see the bike being dragged and bounced down the highway! It had ripped the whole seam of the truck apart after a good dip in the highway. No it wasn't meant to carry anything like that weight but it sure taught me a good lesson in a hurry! Never go by what the carrier says it will carry, double or tripple it at the hitch, then ask yourself will the truck or hitch still be intact after a good bounce...? It trashed a good set of knobbies and I had to leave the bike on the highway for an hour....it was still there when I got back....wasn't a good bike, but it was mine. You won't believe what I did to fix the hitch....I jacked it back in place and pop riveted and bolted a few pieces of steel flat bar across the tear just so I could get the bike before some arsewipe took it. No truck or trailer back in them days. I had more rope and ratchet straps coming and going from every possible location to stop it from happening again before I got home. I should have been on America's funniest videos or redneck videos....I'm sure I would have made TV!:t1202::13:

·
Administrator
3,679 Posts
I would be reluctant to try that. Knew a guy that had something similar but he had a double receiver connection so it had more support rather than just in the middle. That I trust.

A hitch on a Datsun 510 carrying a bike!! Now that's just crazy. Most guys here probably had to Google Datsun and 510.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My son would say:
"What's a Datsun? Isn't that, like, and antique car or something?" Didn't they, like, go out of business or something?"

·
Registered
34 Posts
So then I should pass? I have wanted one of these for a while. I have a suburban and the hitch is rated to 500# figured that included bounce weight.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
I always pipe up when one of these things is discussed here. I have used them (with modifications to both carrier and vehicle) and while I never had any real trouble with the thing, I would never use one again. I think they're an accident waiting to happen.

Depends on what you use it with, but it was way too much weight for a 1/2-ton Dodge Ram pickup.

·
Administrator
3,679 Posts
So then I should pass? I have wanted one of these for a while. I have a suburban and the hitch is rated to 500# figured that included bounce weight.
My buddy with the dual receiver set up also had a Suburban. I wouldn't go with a single receiver but it's your ride.

·
Administrator
3,679 Posts
This is his set up and maybe it's a Yukon not a Suburban. Can't remember but frame is likely similar. He previously owned a KLR.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
A Suburban will have a hard time with it. A couple of other things to remember are that the motorcycle will at least partially, if not totally, obscure your tail lights and blinkers. Your rear suspension will also be so squatted down that your headlights will aim way high at night, making them less effective and pissing off other drivers. You'll even be able to tell your front end is lighter, especially going over bumps.

Not that I think it matters much, but note the KLR exceeds the 400-pound rated capacity of the carrier.

Note: I think one of these might be okay for, say, a -300-pound motorcycle on a larger pickup/SUV, but definitely not a +400-pound machine like a KLR. I used mine to carry a Honda XR650, less weight than KLR, but still well above 300 pounds, I believe. Short, slow, daytime trips carrying, say, a 250 dirt bike, it would probably be okay.

·
Administrator
3,679 Posts

·
Administrator
3,679 Posts
A couple of other things to remember are that the motorcycle will at least partially, if not totally, obscure your tail lights and blinkers.
Not to mention your license plate. No photo radar tags, that is assuming you can get the vehicle up to speed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks guys I had never heard issues I figured the 3/4 ton suburban could handle it. I would hate to loose by bike.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Not to mention your license plate. No photo radar tags, that is assuming you can get the vehicle up to speed.
Yeah, forgot about that one. I had to mount my license plate on the carrier itself and wasn't legal at night since it wasn't illuminated. I got home from a trip to Colorado to find my license plate torn off. I think it happened when I backed into a space in a motel parking lot that had those mulch-filled berms between the rows.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Thanks guys I had never heard issues I figured the 3/4 ton suburban could handle it. I would hate to loose by bike.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
There are other factors such as age/condition of the hitch receiver. Is it bolted to the frame or welded on? Mine was bolted on. I had a shop weld it. I also added an extra leaf spring to my rear suspension stacks. It was nice when the carrier was on the back, but sucked when it wasn't.

Some type of adjustable airbag suspension assist would be the way to go if somebody wanted to go that route.

I think a 3/4-ton pickup would do better than a 1/2-ton. With a Suburban, it would seem there would already be more weight over the rear axle than with a 3/4-ton pickup with an empty bed.

I logged thousands of cross-country miles carrying the XR on mine, but I was never able to relax when doing so, always wondering if everything back there was doing okay, constantly looking in the mirrors, etc.

As the ultimate safeguard, I even had a big-ass log chain wrapped around both the bike frame and the carrier then looped around a frame rail under the vehicle in case something bad happened. Didn't really want to hurt anybody or be sued if the thing gave way and the XR/Carrier went bouncing down the Interstate behind me.

I would note that when I was forced to use the carrier, I also had a fiberglass 8-foot camper shell on the pickup and that added at least another 200 pounds or so to the load on the rear.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
I know of another fellow that used one of these on an F150 to haul his KLR, and he said he felt really uncomfortable with the way it hauled and ended up strapping the crap out of it to the inside hooks of the box... Looked kinda goofy all trussed up but I guess it didn't move around as much ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts