Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do yall think? i am on the fence. keep in mind price is a big factor cause im a po' military boy! HAHA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got soft?

I've used a set of "deluxe" revpacks for a season now, crashed twice (lowside on a hill climb and on a dirt road). I've riddden with them in the rain and the snow. After crashing, I thought my gear would be crushed (it wasn't) and that the material would be torn up (not a scratch).

http://www.revpack.com/motorcycle/products/SaddlePack.html

I bought them on sale for $100/pair and my wife found a brand new set from a private seller for $50.

I'm happy. They are a good size and work well. A buddy uses Pelican's but i don't like side loaders however the Pelicans are real tough and will be replaced for life, no questions asked.

www.PelicanProducts.us

Brett

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Both have huge advantages, and it's entirely up to the rider.
On my KLR I use a Pelican rear trunk, and use a Wolfman Alpha bag as my main bag (when I need it).
I sorta cheat because I've always had hard luggage on a bike.. My BMW's had hard bags, and I installed Givi bags on my former V Strom. My Wing has its factory luggage, so I really don't need big storage on the KLR unless I'm camping on it, so the Wolfman fits the bill nicely.

If the KLR is your only bike, and you need daily luggage, nothing beats hard saddlebags for security and weather resistance.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I've got Pelican 1430 side boxes, my buddy has soft bags, both hold about the same amount of goodies. His got soaked in a rainstorm with the covers on and mine stays dry and in a drop over, they kept my bike up off the ground sustaining no damage. $160 shipped from Ebay, home made brackets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im leaning more towards soft bags because i feel they are less permanent. is this true? i dont need bags for my daily routine, just for those weekend trips.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I can have my hard bags off in ten minutes...but yes, if you just use the straps that come with the soft bags that lay up and over the seat and rack, you can pretty much just lift them off like saddle bags on a horse.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
OK, I better fess up, I have custom mounts for my pelicans, I moved my rear turn signals back under the very rear of the rack and I used the hole the turn signals were in as my mounting point for my racks. One nut and they are off or on. It isn't something you can buy. If you can weld then isn't too big of a problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hey DX, any pics of the bags? im looking to fabricate a set very similar to what you are describing... mind if i use you for some ideas?

·
Registered
32 Posts
thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts