Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've just bought a 2006 KLR and want to mount some hard luggage for a trip I am planning next year. I have narrowed my options to the following:

1.- Pelican 1550 cases
2.- Happy Trails Teton panniers
3.- Givi E36 or E45 side cases

What are the pros and cons of Aluminium vs. Plastic?
Both Pelican and Givi are "side loading" while the Teton's are top loading, which is more convenient?

Thanks to all for your help!
Fernando

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the HT Teton 9" panniers and I have been well pleased with them for the most part. I do have a couple of small complaints but nothing major that would stop me from buying again. If you do use the HT racks no matter what boxes you decide I will say that they can be a bit of a pain to install. If you look on this forum or others you will see a lot of people have had the same problem. Overall though great racks and panniers. Well there is my two cents. lol

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm shopping.. I'm currently using soft tank panniers, tank bag, Wolfman Alpha bag and a Pelican small topbox.
The Wolman is nice, but I'm a hard pannier user for years on my other bikes and I really want to do the same with my KLR.

Now the dilema.. I have one friend with a set of African Twin aluminum panniers (much like the HT bags) and another friend with 1550 Pelican cases.. The upside of the Pelicans is that they're indestructable, and cheaply replaced if you were able to actually destroy one.

But I also like the top loading of the aluminum bags.

I'm going to sit on this one til this winter.. I'm leaning towards the HT bags, but I'm researching also..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts